Gardening with chickens

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've posted about this before... I'd avoid chickens in the garden because they eat anything green... red, yellow, everything. You should use Geese. My dad has told me many times about a great aunt of his who lived in east Texas prior to WW2. She owned huge flocks of geese with trimmed wings, She would lease these to farmers. See, geese only eat grass. Prior to WW2 (going back decades) large cotton farms in east texas, LA and Mississippi would rent geese to weed their crops every year.

She would raise a new flock of geese and sell them off every fall for the holidays. She got paid twice, farmers paid her to fatten her geese and then for the meat when slaughtered. ;)

All she had to do was maintain 2000 or so breeding stock and she could sell off 20K birds every fall.

Last edited:
You have to get grass eating geese, not just any geese.
But they cost up front, you can eat the eggs & the off spring.

Chickens ate a lot of cherry tomatoes here this past summer. Most all of the low hanging fruit. I had to wire around the big tomatoes so they wouldn't get them too.

I can't imagine having them in the garden. I had to fence off a portion of the yard just for them after they decimated my flower beds.

Had to hold off planting to make sure they were secure. They still have a ton of room...and I'll be enjoying a poop free deck and a mulch free sidewalk.

They can tear things up for sure

Latest posts

Back