Gasoline or Diesel engine for Class B RV?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In the old days Diesel fuel was cheaper and you'd get better fuel mileage too.

Today a diesel engine is $15,000 more.
Fuel is 30 to 40 cents higher per gallon.
Gasoline is more available then diesel.
Diesel will increase MPG by about 5 miles?
Easier to find a gas mechanic too?
I understand routine maintenance is higher too.

So if you wanted to buy a Class B RV and go see this country, gas or diesel?

Last edited:
When I was looking at a motor home the credit union had a 72000 mile limit on loans for gas motor homes but no mileage limit of diesel.
There is a reason for that.
Diesel engine will last longer.
I found a good deal on a gas so I bought it.
In hind sight I wish I had bought a diesel.
Mostly for the additional power.
I really don't think I could tow a small car behind mine.
You are talking about a class B so towing is probably not an issue.

To me the real question is usage and usage requirements. $15,000 more for the engine option. Add in fuel price difference and the question is --- will you wear out a couple of gas engines to equal the cost difference. Unless you are going to put a lot of miles and extra strain on the unit, I would have to vote for the gas engine. JM2C from Mr. El Cheapo.

Unless you intend to keep the RV and can afford to keep a driveway ornament go with the gas. The resale on any class RV is terrible. I'm with the Liz king, lose money as cheaply as you can. Gas engines with the new 6and8 speed transmissions pull much better than the older models.....(I have a 25 ft 5th wheel for sale with lots of extras)

For an RV I like a diesel. When idling as you often do in an RV a diesel burns minuscule fuel compared to gas engine. I've never done extended travel in an RV so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm assuming you would idle often to charge battery banks if in camp for periods and when I drove a truck I spent a good amount of time crawling through traffic jams but I could be wrong about the amount of idle time required. Strictly for resale purposes I think you would do better with a smaller preowned camper and a truck. Would also be easier to get in and out of some beautiful spots that would be inaccessible to an RV. And you could unhook and use the truck to shop/explore/get away from camp for a while. That being said, when on the road you aren't driving in your living room :)

Unless you intend to keep the RV and can afford to keep a driveway ornament go with the gas. The resale on any class RV is terrible. I'm with the Liz king, lose money as cheaply as you can. Gas engines with the new 6and8 speed transmissions pull much better than the older models.....(I have a 25 ft 5th wheel for sale with lots of extras)

What I would like to do (she who must be obeyed thinks otherwise) is to sell the house, buy a Class B and full time travel for the next 5 years or so. Travel about 2 days out of 7. No rush and take our time.

For an RV I like a diesel. When idling as you often do in an RV a diesel burns minuscule fuel compared to gas engine. ..I'm assuming you would idle often to charge battery banks if in camp for periods...you would do better with a smaller preowned camper and a truck. ...

Boon-docking to keep the lot rental cost down would be a priority for me. Something about leaving a engine idle for a hour or two just rubs me the wrong way.

Looked at truck campers. Cost the same as a Class B. Wife would half a difficult climbing the entry steps and climbing into the over-cab bed too. :(

A word of advice.. Before spending all that money for a large loss, Rent the size vehicle you like and make some small week long or long weekend trips and get the feel in what effort it is going to take to set up or take down in preparation for leaving for the next camping spot, leveling , dumping the tanks, slide, cable, and electrical chores that have to be done before stopping or traveling, Trust me do this about a half dozen times to figure out how to accomplish these task in the heat in the rain in the dark, do you have bad knees what is the location of the pull handles and drain exits, and the size of the RV needs to be taken into consideration cause a lot of state parks only allow around 25ft length because the turns are too tight.

A word of advice.. Before spending all that money for a large loss, Rent the size vehicle you like and make some small week long or long weekend trips and get the feel in what effort it is going to take to set up or take down in preparation for leaving for the next camping spot, leveling , dumping the tanks, slide, cable, and electrical chores that have to be done before stopping or traveling, Trust me do this about a half dozen times to figure out how to accomplish these task in the heat in the rain in the dark, do you have bad knees what is the location of the pull handles and drain exits, and the size of the RV needs to be taken into consideration cause a lot of state parks only allow around 25ft length because the turns are too tight.

Doing my research now, that's why I asked Gasoline or Diesel?

Never did understand folks that buy on Thursday and on Saturday complaining how their weekend was ruined because they didn't take time to learn the "How tos".

No I don't have bad knees.

Class B is under 25 feet in length.

I did 2 years of research but I discovered that you cannot really find out what type of RV features you need or will like to have until you have owned the first one, Doing the research like you are doing will reduce that list. I wish I had rented a few times first......

I did 2 years of research but I discovered that you cannot really find out what type of RV features you need or will like to have until you have owned the first one, Doing the research like you are doing will reduce that list. I wish I had rented a few times first......

When the wife and I was looking to build a house she rejected all drawings that had roof dormers. IMHO no use in selecting a builder or property until a floor plan was agreed on. I'm using the same principle on a RV. Pop up, tow behind, 5-wheel and the larger classes of Motor homes have been ruled out. Leaving Class B (maybe a Class B+). The next branch on the road is fuel type, pro and cons. Which leads us back to gasoline or diesel. Different manufacturers have different floor plans some on a gasoline chassis and some on a diesel chassis. By determining which fuel type then I 'll know which floor plans to look at.

Winnebago, Road-Trek or Pleasure-way...

Last brand new car I bought was back in 1979. Since then I buy used and let the first buyer take the financial hit.

I've been down the diesel road, 1989 F-250 4X4 and a 33' Holiday Rambler diesel pusher powered by a Cummins. They are loved until things start happening and I begin to realize they are not actually a poor mans vehicle. That wonderful F-250 has been parked due to oil being in the coolant and more than likely coolant leaking into cylinders possible due to using the yellow antifreeze when all along I should have been using the green stuff and now after all these years I ran across an article that explains the difference, the green stuff is ethylene glycol with protective additives and the yellow stuff is a GM creation that tends to be acidic and allows for rust and other things to happen inside the cooling system. Wither you believe this or not, I'm stuck with 1,000's of dollars in replacement or rebuilding, if that's even possible. As to the pusher, the rear main seal leaks and there is no way that I have the ability to take care of that, slipping a huge 6 speed Allison transmission out of the way in my driveway, I don't think so, that's a motorhome shop necessity. Don't get me wrong, these two vehicles have amazing power and fuel economy, but in the end, you have to ask yourself, can I afford to own them? Go on line and price out what it would cost to replace a diesel engine. For class B motorhomes there are some good gasoline engine/transmission set ups, yeah it's nice to have the torque of a diesel, but with transmissions up to 10 speed, smaller more economical gasoline engines seem to be doing a pretty good job. One thing I will mention, at 75+ years of age I'm probably not going to be doing much mechanical work anymore.

Personally I would get some kind of pull behind trailer. Shops HATE working on motor homes and charge accordingly. Where I used to work the shop rate was $95 per hour but if you brought in a motorhome it was $175.

If you get a bumper pull trailer, please get sway bars too. Makes it less likely that the tail will wag the dog. It ought to be mandatory.

Anyhow, with a motorhome you are stuck with rebuild or replace the motor but with a tow behind you also have the option to trade or sell and buy a new one.

The other thing is ease of escape. You are all set up for a long stay and are ordered/forced to evacuate for one reason or another. With a truck you jump in and go. With a motorhome you must unhook and roll up everything. Pickups can go off road, motorhomes cannot. Think escaping a forest fire, which would you rather run in?

...The other thing is ease of escape. You are all set up for a long stay and are ordered/forced to evacuate for one reason or another. ...

Class B. You easily enter the cab from the living quarters. No need to go outside, unlock cab door, open door and ...

I understand your point about servicing. Have an acquaintance with a Class A. Acquaintance and his wife spent just about two weeks in a motel while their "home" was in a shop with transmission problems.

Like has been mentioned.
I would rent one and try it for a few days then decide.
I have only been in 1 class B and that was enough for me.
It was just a regular van conversion.
Class B campers are just way too small for us.
My Uncle had one and he really didn't like it after a few trips.
He said he could stay in hotels and eat in restaurants cheaper than the gas and other costs.
One thing that has really surprised me is the cost of an RV camping spot.
I have a free permit for Washington and one for Oregon so I don't pay in state parks.
Without the pass RV camping spots are up to $80 a night in state parks.:eyeballs:

When wife and I first faced retirement, we considered the vagabond / drifter life style. Then got to checking out what we would want to live in full time. Between the cost of teh RV, the Truck to tow and then all the fees / space rentals. We decided not to go that way. Small is fine for weekend trips, Medium sized for short vacations / family visits. Big is needed if you and the Mrs. plan to live in it.

Not quite that easy if your hooked up to elect, water and sewage. Unless you don't mind ruining your cord and hose/pipe.

Don't connect until you need to fill/dump tanks and then once that's done disconnect. In my case I'm not will to pay $40-$50 a night when I can stop overnight free at Wal-mart, Cabela's, Cracker Barrel, or boondocking.

Like has been mentioned.
I would rent one and try it for a few days then decide.

My first career was a RV draftsman, design and construction drawings. One of the perks we could take prototypes out for a long weekend. IMHO Class A are fuel guzzlers and are for those with a lot of disposable income. On the other extreme Popups are a step or two above tent camping. Class B would suit me fine. The wife, on the other hand, might be on board if we just put a chassis under our current house...

I think if I was gonna do the vagabond lifestyle I get a wharram catamaran with a 2 ft draft and be a vagabond in the Bahamas while I enjoyed excellent fishing. I'd probably come up the coast to SC during hurricane season. Certainly not for everyone but the idea has always tickled me. With some solar panels, sails and and a good sea kayak for a dingy I think I could make quite a go at a simple inexpensive life. Probably a lot to get used to and being on the sea isnt exactly safe even outside of hurricane season but there is a lot of romance in the idea. And if you are brave enough the world is your oyster.

Don't connect until you need to fill/dump tanks and then once that's done disconnect. In my case I'm not will to pay $40-$50 a night when I can stop overnight free at Wal-mart, Cabela's, Cracker Barrel, or boondocking.

I've never paid that much for a spot. Stayed a week at Yellowstone with full hookups for under$200, just checked and the spot we stayed at has doubled. Glad we don't have those prices locally.

Latest posts

Back