Gate Repair & Solar Power Automatic Gate Operner - Project #6

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Procrastinator
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
tumblr_oajbkfL2tK1qhfuqwo1_1280.jpg

I have way more projects than 6 and it seems when one thing gets fixed another breaks.

I bought a Might Mule MM360RK solar powered kit for my front gate. It was a 16ft tube gate. The MM version I got can swing up to 550lbs and can have up to 25 codes for opening or something like that. It was on sale at Tractor Supply but is no longer listed there. Closest I can find is the 360 out of stock one on Amazon.
It came with a 5w solar panel. I believe I upgraded to a 10w.

I also got an automatic gate lock that I can use to keep the gate shut if someone tries to push it open. The kit I got recommended using a marine battery, which I got but unfortunately I suspect it may be dead as I never opened the box and it sat for a long time. Life got in the way of my plans. To set it up requires digging a trench. Person who was supposed to do it is not reliable and never showed up to do it (still owes us $1k in yard work).

In some ways it is a good thing that it never got put up because the hurricanes took my gate down. The post that held the gate up broke (gate appears undamaged). The gate post on the other side needs to be fixed up/reinforced, but the broken one needs to be pulled out and replaced.

I can't find the same type of post that was used-- looks like it was from a telephone pole.

I want to replace it with a 6"x6" squared post Pressure Treated #2 rated for burial. They have a 12ft one at Lowes. Removing the old one will suck because it's set in quickrete and we will have to detach the remains of the fence from it. (It's also going to suck getting the fence fixed because of uprooted trees, but getting the gate fixed would keep my cows in and stop unwanted neighbors from driving in.

What I need to do:
  1. Remove old broken post & Replace with new post (after painting/sealing post)
  2. Reinforce or replace standing post on other side (it's wobbly)
  3. Get proper anchors (can't use aluminium) to hold up gate and put gate back on
  4. Dig trench to run underground landscaping wire to where solar panel will sit as well as running wire to other post for the locking mechanism (must be wary of phoneline that passes through that area- goes right next to post)
  5. Set up box and battery w/ proper connections to hold charge from solar panel
  6. Re-use pole (if possible) from old satellite to install 10w solar panel (if re-use is not possible, buy new pole or pressure treated post)
  7. Install some sort of charge controller between panel and battery if necessary
  8. Program remotes and garage door openers in vehicles to open gate
  9. Program code for keypad and install a keypad mounted to the main gate post (will get backlit wireless one, but it can be wired)
  10. Install post next to driveway with button so delivery people can push to open gate to exit
  11. Possibly install 12v / solar powered light on top of gate post so people can see that there's a keypad (will probably have to wire to solar panel/battery since the post is always in the shade)
  12. Install keypad covers to shelter the keypad and button (possibly install light on top of button post too)
For anyone who has ever installed these sorts of gate openers, any advice?

Do I need (or would it be a good idea to get) a charge controller between the solar panel and the battery? If so, any idea what kind to get?

List of things I need for this project
Old satellite image:
1615761393658.png

Newer satellite image
1615761871366.png

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
I didn't want something that would make the gate open when it detected a vehicle driving over because it might hit tractors. I'm wondering if I should get some sort of sensor that will stop the gate from opening or closing if if detects an obstacle.

Edit: Saw this video that shows how to use 2x4 to stabilize a gate post. I want to do a double going in opposite directions. I like this one because of Coco.

Last edited:
Do I need (or would it be a good idea to get) a charge controller between the solar panel and the battery? If so, any idea what kind to get?
A solar controller might be integrated in the opener kit you bought. If the directions show the solar panel wires connect directly to the battery then you should get a controller. If directions show wires from solar panel connect to gate opener then it likely has a controller built in.

If you need a controller a small one like this will likely be fine for you...
MPPT Solar Panel Regulator Charge Controller Auto Focus Tracking | eBay

The gun club is wanting to install a gate. Not solar. It will have a keypad and everyone will have a card to keep track of who comes in.
The estimate for the gate was $28,000.
My brother works for a government agency and they had a gate installed.
After firing the original contractor and hiring a new one the total cost was over $140,000. Our tax dollars being used wisely, not.

Latest posts

Back