Gator / Mule / Ranger / RTV / UTV / golf cart... do you have one that you use around your homestead?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK... I said it might be a bit before pictures... I finally have one. :)

Gator.jpg

Outstanding! Nice rig.

Thanks! Showed it to one of my neighbors and he said "You'll get good use out of that." He also kinda shyly mentioned that he'd be glad to take it when I'm through with it. (No worries, he's a good guy. He's also the farmer that puts more miles on their UTV than their pickup truck.)

I found out in the first day that I'd like a windshield and mirrors so I ordered those to go on it. Beyond that, we'll take it slow.

Working around the place so far, I like it. On the road travelin' to the neighbors, I wish the clutch were set up a little differently. Not a big deal. But it revs higher than it seems like it would need to. I suspect there is a fix for that but I also suspect that it won't be goin' down that road day in and day out, either, but mostly just putterin' around the homestead. I will give it one thing, they got the creature comfort right for my particular frame. Seats comfortable, steering wheel in the right position, me likes. :)

Nice rig @PopPopT! I’ve always had at least the front window on all my side by sides. Definitely makes a difference operating on rainy days. It looks like you have a winch on yours. I think a winch is one of the most important features. I use my winch year round on all of my ATV/Side by Sides.

Thanks, John! My windshield is ordered but hasn't come yet. Didn't mind it much today but was just mostly movin' around 5 gallon buckets of compost, bags of soil amendments, stuff like that, and not really going anywhere very fast.

So far, I haven't even tried out the winch. I'm sure I'll end up using it but just haven't yet. Probably when I get busy messin' with downed trees / firewood, I'll be using it. Mostly doing "gardening" stuff right now.

We had a 30 year old yamaha golf cart that really didn't do the job. It broke last year and I couldn't find parts for it anymore plus got tired of trying to keep it running. So we got a brand new Polaris Ranger. So far, love it. We got a discount and didn't have to pay tax because we are an official farm, so that helped.

Nice machine but everything JD is expensive. Green costs money. 🙂 Get that thing messy and show us some action photos !

Everything is expensive. If'n ya think Green is expensive, you should see "Orange". Dang. Seriously, I couldn't bring myself to buy cheap Chinese even though it was considerably cheaper. And "good used", at least around here, turned out to be mostly "ragged out, worn out, and 3/4 the price of new", and somebody pays it.

It's getting a little messy, but I don't generally drive through mud bogs and woods trails. Will have to settle for just some plain ol' dirt from my hands and shoes as well as dirt and manure in the bed, which at least so far, I've just dumped at the end of the day to get the dirt out.

Most times, I'm workin' by myself and don't tend to wanna babysit the phone when I'm workin' so selfies are pretty rare. We'll see, somethin' may show up. ;)

we got a brand new Polaris Ranger. So far, love it.

Several of the neighbors have Rangers. But finding one for sale is a bit of a stretch in these parts, if'n ya want one that's not already wore plumb out. Hard to tell, if I had seen one I liked, I might have gone that direction, dunno. Never saw one for sale locally.

Interestingly, even at the John Deere dealer I ended up buying from, they had only one other Gator for sale, identical to the one I got other than a different paint job, and they didn't know when they were getting any more in. Stuff just ain't so easy to get these days. Still waiting on a response from several high tunnel dealers that give every appearance of having them available online that I've been trying to get to talk to me for months. And the one that finally did talk to me says that he may be taking orders in June or so. Just can't get stuff.

Anyway, worse comes to worse, I have a feeling I could get quite a lot of my money back out of it if I had to so I don't feel too bad about the "investment" part of it. Plus, I'm definitely usin' it. :)

Latest posts

Back