Genealogy and Family History

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should be.
I am related to a gazillion people.
My ancestors from England hit the ground (mid-1700's) running here and they were 'procreators'!
7-8 kids for each was common :oops:.
One of our relatives had 39 children 😬. That belief doesn’t run in the family thankfully!

They should be.
My ancestors from England hit the ground running (mid-1700's) here and they were 'procreators'!
In those days, having very large families was not uncommon. There was no birth control, and what could people do for entertainment? They more than likely worked hard from sun up to sun down. The one thing I notice in one of my family groups was that they had several children, but several never made it to adulthood. One set of g grandparents had 15 children, and lost two in early childhood.

Are you scared 😳

remember this?

(small world time... Grizzlyette's grandfather and I share the same last name, his people came from this same area... what are the odds?)

One of our relatives had 39 children 😬. That belief doesn’t run in the family thankfully!

Counting spouses I had 140 grt aunts and uncles, I have no idea how many cousins I have. yep, I come from a family of breeders. My grandpa, who shares the same last name as grizzlyett's grdpa, was one of 27 kids.

Hey, @Weedygarden want to hear some exciting news?
So think I’ve mentioned that my gma wouldn’t talk about her family and there aren’t many descendants on that side. Well, last summer I found a possible relative and an address so said a prayer and mailed a physical letter with a photocopy of a couple pictures I believe to be her mother and grandmother. I didn’t hear back so figured wrong address, she’s not interested etc. Well, day before yesterday I got an email from the gal’s son. She passed away in 2018 but he’s willing to help where he can. He knows very little about that side so hoping it’s fun for both of us. Our grandmothers were cousins. My bro and I and he and his siblings are the only descendants on that side of the family 😁

Hey, @Weedygarden want to hear some exciting news?
So think I’ve mentioned that my gma wouldn’t talk about her family and there aren’t many descendants on that side. Well, last summer I found a possible relative and an address so said a prayer and mailed a physical letter with a photocopy of a couple pictures I believe to be her mother and grandmother. I didn’t hear back so figured wrong address, she’s not interested etc. Well, day before yesterday I got an email from the gal’s son. She passed away in 2018 but he’s willing to help where he can. He knows very little about that side so hoping it’s fun for both of us. Our grandmothers were cousins. My bro and I and he and his siblings are the only descendants on that side of the family 😁
I love this! I'm so happy for you! Sad that she has passed, but great that her son has cared enough to reach out to you.

These are the kinds of things that put me on cloud 9 in my own family research. I posted a photo of my gg grandfather on his Find a Grave memorial. A distant cousin reached out and said, "That is my gg grandfather!" Distance is there, but still a connection.

Then you could potentially actually know her name? I have looked for her potential obituary, but since I have no idea what her name is, it is a moot point.

No, i know her grandfather's last name. I suspect her last name is french in origin, but that's just a guess.

Trivia...
Don't believe all you hear or read on the internet...
I recently saw a short video supposedly by a genealogy ..expert.. saying names did not get ..changed.. spelling altered.. or spelling ..Americanized...

In my family tree this happened at both Elis Island and Pier 21... This making it tougher to compile accurate data...

Trivia...
Don't believe all you hear or read on the internet...
I recently saw a short video supposedly by a genealogy ..expert.. saying names did not get ..changed.. spelling altered.. or spelling ..Americanized...

In my family tree this happened at both Elis Island and Pier 21... This making it tougher to compile accurate data...
I have one family group who were Dutch, and no one can find any information about them. We believe that the spelling of their name was changed.

There is an annual genealogy conference coming up. It is through Family Search, LDS sight that is free. 29 February–2 March 2024
The physical conference is in Salt Lake City, but there is much you can participate with online.

This will be my third year of participating in this conference. I haven't really learned much from the conference, but the BIG thing for me has been connecting with relatives. It has definitely helped me to fill in some gaps on my family tree.
This is my post about it from last year. https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/genealogy-and-family-history.15099/page-2#post-539836

https://www.familysearch.org/en/roo...QRSmDUPVy5oGYyuFSemlxj6rxOZsFGzBoC1z0QAvD_BwE

They should be.
My ancestors from England hit the ground running (mid-1700's) here and they were 'procreators'!
You should be cautious 'digging up old bones', some are better left to 'rest in peace'.
When I traced my ancestory, I didn't elaborate when I mentioned the ancestors that all hopped on the boat to the USA...
Except for one hardhead, that refused to move back to 'primitive', but his grown kids got on the boat.
London England was so wonderful, that he hung himself :(.
...Yeah, I'm related to him. :mad:

You should be cautious 'digging up old bones', some are better left to 'rest in peace'.
When I traced my ancestory, I didn't elaborate when I mentioned the ancestors that all hopped on the boat to the USA...
Except for one hardhead, that refused to move back to 'primitive', but his grown kids got on the boat.
London England was so wonderful, that he hung himself :(.
...Yeah, I'm related to him. :mad:

You should be cautious 'digging up old bones'...
Amen, a relative of mine was the last man publicly hanged in this part of the state. He could literally sing the song 'I shot the Sheriff'. The sheriff survived but the deputy didn't (he also shot the deputy).

The day before the sheriff had raided his still and killed his unarmed 9yr old son who was stoking the fire (for no apparent reason). He went to town and shot the sheriff, was shot himself but escaped.

He turned himself in when his infected wound turned to gangrene. He was dying but they hanged him anyway. Lets just say 'old feuds' die slowly in this area. It's not over yet despite 120yrs having gone by. Families still remember! 😁

My daughter did a DNA test to see where all her ancestors were from. Her dad ( my ex ) always claimed to have had a Cherokee grandmother, but no native American showed up at all. One of my grandmothers was gypsy ( her parents were) , this is a definite but that didn't show up in the DNA either. But there was no category for that and my grandmothers parents and grandparents were in Europe for practically ever. So daughter got this: General "western European" , Germanic, Scottish and Irish. The largest percentage was just generic "western European" and it said that if you go more than 5 generations back and the percentage is very small it won''t show up
I wonder what my son would get ( he is 1/4 Colombian )

I can trace mine back a very long ways. Mine is Welsh and Cherokee...my great grandfather is on the 2nd roll but failed to get on the 3rd roll and thats the one that counts to get a tribal card and more...but anyhow...my gg-grandfather fought in civil war and died in early 1930's. I was recently at cemetery looking for his headstone and couldnt find it.I found a picture of it..its a new modern stone now as someone has had old stone replaced.

He was a horse soldier during the war.I had family on both sides of war.Interestingly the old land records are still here in archives going back to start of land deeds and grants.My family got a huge chunk of land..oh how i wished they had kept it all....originally it was 75k acres.

Her dad ( my ex ) always claimed to have had a Cherokee grandmother, but no native American showed up at all.
This is so common, to claim Native American ancestry, and then it doesn't show up on DNA tests. It may have been in this thread, or another, of a family who claimed to be Native American, but were actually descended from an African American woman, slave, who had a child with her owner. That child, as a grown man, could pass for white and did. He was certainly not the only person who did that. So it didn't take long for the story to be that they were Native American, because that was more acceptable than being African American.

The only family ...story... I ever knew of was that my grandpa Gilbert had a step nephew (?) that got ahold of his small Smith & Wesson 32 caliber revolver and tried to hold up the Selby bank.. In the process shooting a hole in the front door.. This happening some time around 1910 - 1914 or so..... I never heard of the consequences for this action.. As a kid I remember that building being used for bagged feed storage with a tin can lid nailed over the hole in the door..

The only family ...story... I ever knew of was that my grandpa Gilbert had a step nephew (?) that got ahold of his small Smith & Wesson 32 caliber revolver and tried to hold up the Selby bank.. In the process shooting a hole in the front door.. This happening some time around 1910 - 1914 or so..... I never heard of the consequences for this action.. As a kid I remember that building being used for bagged feed storage with a tin can lid nailed over the hole in the door..
There is a web site that has many old newspapers digitized. If you know the area, you can narrow down your search by state, time frame, and then search for a name. Actually, it looks like there are a few sites like this. Surely this story was in the newspaper.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

That’s a fun story. It’s fun to think about what the old buildings have experienced.
My GGGpa owned a pharmacy in Rice Lake, WI and his last name was painted on the side of the brick building like they used to do. A few years back, via a blog there was a woman who lived there and said that the side of the building still has the name on it 😊

That’s a fun story. It’s fun to think about what the old buildings have experienced.
My GGGpa owned a pharmacy in Rice Lake, WI and his last name was painted on the side of the brick building like they used to do. A few years back, via a blog there was a woman who lived there and said that the side of the building still has the name on it 😊
Do you have a photo of it? If not, you might be able to find a local person who is willing to take one for you.

Do you have a photo of it? If not, you might be able to find a local person who is willing to take one for you.
I have a photo from 70+ years ago but not currently. I should try to find it on maps. It hasn’t really been a priority.

This is so common, to claim Native American ancestry, and then it doesn't show up on DNA tests. It may have been in this thread, or another, of a family who claimed to be Native American, but were actually descended from an African American woman, slave, who had a child with her owner. That child, as a grown man, could pass for white and did. He was certainly not the only person who did that. So it didn't take long for the story to be that they were Native American, because that was more acceptable than being African American.
per people i know in tribe...many natives in my region covered up their ancestry and when asked about being dark skinned..they called themselves 'the black dutch'.

per people i know in tribe...many natives in my region covered up their ancestry and when asked about being dark skinned..they called themselves 'the black dutch'.
And then there are people who claim to be of Native American descent, when they were actually of African American descent. It's a shame that you have to cover up who you really are.

I have learned that my first & last name are over 450. years old.
My direct line had a brother with my name, which is Hebrew & French, but he lived in Scotland.

So I've been in contact with a "long lost cousin" 😂 Our grandmothers were cousins so whatever that makes us. We have been in contact and are trying to figure out a few things. If you are the praying sort, might just send one up. Trying to clear up some family mysteries.

Latest posts

Back