Generate electricity from thin air?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
MIT thinks so. And they apparently built a device that can do it. The "temperature generator".

Temperature-Energy-Generator-MIT.jpg

New Device Generates Electricity From Thin Air— an ‘Untapped Energy Source,’ Says MIT

Sydney Pereira

Posted with permission from Newsweek

Scientists have created an entirely new way to generate electricity—anytime, anywhere. The device, known as a thermal resonator, can harness energy from temperature fluctuations happening all around us. Scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are working on accessing this “untapped energy source,” which can function regardless of rain or shine, according to the new study’s senior author, Michael Strano.

The unusual source of energy is drawn from the natural ebbs and flows of temperatures. The most obvious fluctuations, Strano said, are the changes between day and night. Large changes such as those generate the most power, but even minute temperature differences all around us can generate electricity.

“We’re actually surrounded by temperature fluctuations,” Strano said. Sometimes the temperature changes slowly, like outside—it changes over a 24-hour cycle. But even around the human body, if you were to carry a thermometer in your pocket, you would find it fluctuating every few seconds.”

These temperature changes are constant and surround us everywhere we go, Strano explained. “We sit in a giant temperature bath, and when that bath fluctuates, you basically can generate electrical power,” he said.

The thermal resonator, which appears like a black box, can use those constant temperature changes to generate electricity through a special material created at MIT. The material is made from metal foam coated in graphene and combined with a wax called octadecane, as detailed in the researchers’ study published mid-February in Nature Communications. The thermal resonator is filled with this material, which can both absorb and store heat.

After months of testing on the roof of an MIT building, researchers discovered that enough electricity could be generated to power LED lights, small computers, and even batteries. Because the device works regardless of whether it is sunny or not, it has an advantage over solar power, too. Clouds, winds, or even sand, which often covers up solar panels in the middle of deserts, wouldn’t affect its ability to harness power from the ever-changing temperatures. The device could even be retrofitted beneath a solar panel, bolstering the energy potential. This way, excess heat with energy potential isn’t wasted.

It could be used in a variety of ways, too. Since the material incorporated into the box isn’t delicate or made from fragile parts, it could be buried underground or incorporated into building structures. The device could go as far as other moons or planets, powering up landers and rovers with just enough power to keep moving, but lasting long enough for space missions.

It’s a new field, Strano noted, but as more scientists continue to work on this way of generating power, more electricity could eventually be generated. Strano and his team have been researching this power source for around one year, and they are already thinking of starting a company to eventually commercialize the thermal resonator. This way of generating power is “more than just an invention,” said Strano. “It’s a new mechanism for generating electrical power.”

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/new...city-from-thin-air-an-untapped-energy-source/

I know this is just the very first phase but I certainly like the concept. It is not unusual for us to have 40 degree temperature swings in a single day. Keeping my fingers crossed this works out.

I know this is just the very first phase but I certainly like the concept. It is not unusual for us to have 40 degree temperature swings in a single day. Keeping my fingers crossed this works out.

I am just glad someone is working on something outside of the box. The oil will not last forever.

I am just glad someone is working on something outside of the box. The oil will not last forever.

That is another reason to stop all the regulation preventing drilling and find and sell this stuff while it still has value. Something for folks to ponder. We have never run out of any fuel source. An alternative is always discovered, or created. Sell the oil and help make the USA financially stable.

I say keep buying forein oil until the world runs out and then sell ours at PREMIUM prices! At the same tim getting wind, solar and Geothermal all on line so as to not need the oil for most things.
I would like to see a solar or geothermal steel smelter... ;)

I say keep buying forein oil until the world runs out and then sell ours at PREMIUM prices!

I don't know if it's true, but I read that there's 100+ years worth of oil under the CONUS. We are just waiting for that very thing. Let everyone else burn through their oil while we hoard ours.

Tesla said it was possible to tap into it, the universal ether energy. He created a car that he drove around NYC for hours that was powered by a black box he had created that was connected to an electric motor. You should read the book.

I don't know if this will do any good but since this thread is old - ish, I thought I'd update people in 2020. If you google "Scientists create energy out of thin air" ---- and search for 2020 articles, there have been breakthroughs. Incredible. *TO ME* that is the most amazing news........ I mean like man landing on the moon news. This should be everywhere because it could help all mankind take the next step.

But I suppose eating tide pods has it's place too - sure, sure......

PSS.......... Youtube some recent lectures on Nuclear Fusion. Turns out - we actually created this in 1995. Like, it happened. We did it. (Humans) ---- And recently the Chinese I believe set a world record with producing something like 100 million degree temperatures inside their "fusion" machine for energy....... but I think the problem is they are trying to learn how to contain it now...... I think the Chinese test failed after 10 seconds or something. But make no mistake. Nuclear Fusion power is already been achieved.

Once they learn to stabilize the core to keep all that pressure inside, (chuckles) seems to me like it's just a matter of a little math and voltage.

Nuke fusion has been "close to a breakthrough" for many decades. They can run fusion generators but only at a net loss of electric power.
There have been no viable innovations in power generation for generations. Other than the modest gain of lithium-ion batteries over lead-acid batteries, there have been no advancements in power storage either.
Solar, wind, and hydro power have been around for many decades. All still work the same as when they were invented. All are expensive.
That is why gas and coal power generation are still the most reliable and most inexpensive methods of power generation, same as a 100 years ago.

Hydro power is cheaper than gas or coal. Nuclear can't compete because the fuel rods in a water cooled reactor can't be completely used. Less than 10% of the fuel is used in the reactor before the rods have to be replaced. When we get LFTR's in use it will be a lot less expensive than gas or coal. NOTE: burning coal releases more nuclear dust into the atmosphere than all the reactors on earth. If 1 reactor produced the same level of nuclear "fallout" as a single coal plant it would be shut down.

Hydro power is cheaper than gas or coal. Nuclear can't compete because the fuel rods in a water cooled reactor can't be completely used. Less than 10% of the fuel is used in the reactor before the rods have to be replaced. When we get LFTR's in use it will be a lot less expensive than gas or coal. NOTE: burning coal releases more nuclear dust into the atmosphere than all the reactors on earth. If 1 reactor produced the same level of nuclear "fallout" as a single coal plant it would be shut down.
Most coal-fired power plants in the USA have been either shut down or converted to clean-burning natural gas.
There is enough NG under our feet to run the country for centuries.
Even the grand experiment that Southern Company sank billions into in Mississippi that used coal-gasification (turning coal into natural gas and capturing the carbon) was abandoned.
...in Kemper County, Mississippi. Mississippi Power, a subsidiary of Southern Company, began construction of the plant in 2010. The initial, coal-fired project was central to President Obama's Climate Plan, as it was to be based on "clean coal" and was being considered for more support from the Congress and the incoming Trump Administration in late 2016. If it had become operational with coal, the Kemper Project would have been a first-of-its-kind electricity plant to employ gasification and carbon capture technologies at this scale.

Like many great ideas in "The Green New Deal"... it does everything, except work.

Some of you need to catch up on your nuclear fusion technology.

Too many non true statements to go through. This video explains it quite well. The advancements. We're essentially there. All that's left is figuring out the best design......and there are many.

PS.......am very anti- "green new deal." - Just sayin'.

Some of you need to catch up on your nuclear fusion technology.

Too many non true statements to go through. This video explains it quite well. The advancements. We're essentially there. All that's left is figuring out the best design......and there are many.

PS.......am very anti- "green new deal." - Just sayin'.

I'll believe it when they build a full-size reactor that powers a city or two.

I'll believe it when they build a full-size reactor that powers a city or two.
Yes, let me know too.
530018.GIF

Oh, and when it generates power at less than 6 cents per kilowatt-hour so it can be cost-effective. (that's the wholesale rate)
Plug in a 1000-watt space heater and watch it run for an hour and say: "wow! that's a whole dime!":woo hoo:. (that's the retail rate)

If you think about it the only source of energy is nuclear energy. Solar? The sun is a constant nuclear reaction. the sun hits our solar panels and warms the earth for wind energy. Plants are essentially batteries for solar energy for your wood stove or eventually they get refined into coal, oil, and natural gas.

This machine reminded me of the LTD Stirling design. Low Temperature Difference.

I saw one which was about 6-feet in diameter that the builder stated produced 5 HP.

He used a mirror arrangement to focus solar into the "hot side" and a nearby water supply to cool the "cold side".

Mrpete has a sterling engine playlist

Ben
Na, you don't need heat to generate electricity.
Permanent magnets constantly produce power for decades, we just suck at putting them to work. :(
Here's mine:

Last edited:
This is interesting, looks like most of us have experimented with energy. Hydrogen generation from water was my choice. I assure you that when hydrogen and oxygen are split from water molecules they can go Boom! Very loudly! I say this from experience. 🤣

I started out building wet cells, simple designs and very cheap. The down side, the cell designs had serious thermal issues. Even with limitations I've ran them on several vehicles including a couple of tractors.

Last 2 pics, a dry cell I built. It ran great without thermal issues! (The entire cell does not sit in water. The water is internal, the outside is dry.)

The first water based hydrogen generators on vehicles were built by the British in ww2. They were installed on a few tanks in the North Africa campaigns where fuel shortages were a constant issue for everyone. What other shortages exists in deserts? Water... :rolleyes:

But for the sneaky little O2 sensors in exhaust systems they'd work great on any car built today. Once a vehicle computer sees off the chart oxygen levels in the exhaust they nullify any gains in mileage.

Hydro wet cell 1 a.jpg
Hydro wet cell 2 a.jpg
Hydro dry cell 1 a.JPG
Hydro dry cell 2 a.JPG

This is interesting, looks like most of us have experimented with energy. Hydrogen generation from water was my choice. I assure you that when hydrogen and oxygen are split from water molecules they can go Boom! Very loudly! I say this from experience. 🤣

I started out building wet cells, simple designs and very cheap. The down side, the cell designs had serious thermal issues. Even with limitations I've ran them on several vehicles including a couple of tractors.

Last 2 pics, a dry cell I built. It ran great without thermal issues! (The entire cell does not sit in water. The water is internal, the outside is dry.)

The first water based hydrogen generators on vehicles were built by the British in ww2. They were installed on a few tanks in the North Africa campaigns where fuel shortages were a constant issue for everyone. What other shortages exists in deserts? Water... :rolleyes:

But for the sneaky little O2 sensors in exhaust systems they'd work great on any car built today. Once a vehicle computer sees off the chart oxygen levels in the exhaust they nullify any gains in mileage.

View attachment 76221View attachment 76222View attachment 76223View attachment 76224
Entropy is always positive

Ben

Don't get your formulas too close to one of these! :oops::

Notice they disassemble it after the demonstration.
They have been around since the 1970's. Their only drawback is they are not cost-effective compared to fossil-fuels... Yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back