Genetics and health.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Symetry

Friend
Neighbor
Just wondering what some of you thought about this topic.

If grandparents and parents had a particular disease , is it likely you will acquire same disease?

On the other hand.

If nobody in your family ever had a particular disease does that give you a less chance of acquiring the disease?

In my family and experience , this has been the case.

Thoughts?

Genetics absolutely play a role, but it's just a role. Nobody else in my family is diabetic, but here I am. On my father's side, men get heart disease, but I found out my heart is in excellent shape. Who knows how the Good Lord is going to make your body? I think people should just try to be healthy but not make themselves miserable doing it. If you get hit by a car and die at 50, what good did it do to eat lettuce and kale but never have ice cream?

I think genetics plays a role, but just like diet and exercise there are no guarantees.

I think genes are less likely to interfere with health than they use to think. Although some illness's can be passed for sure.
It depends on the gene. Years ago they isolated a gene that causes certain women to have almost a 100% chance of developing breast cancer. They were able to do something about it.
My dad's aunt died of colon cancer. My dad had his polyps clipped at 55 and lived to the ripe old age of 85.
Of his 5 sons, 2 died of colon cancer by age 65. Of the remaining 3, all of us have had more than 5 pre-cancerous polyps snipped out. The gene my dad passed down to us is a 100% chance of developing colon-cancer, if something isn't done.
The cologuard test simply tests your DNA to see if you have that gene.
If you do have it, eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise, will only put a nice body in that casket.
Genes matter. A lot.

My daughter-in-law had both breasts removed and replaced before she had any sign of cancer because of the risk of breast cancer in her family. Just after she had her surgery her mom had to have her breasts removed because she had cancer. She beat the cancer the easy way with only a chemotherapy session. There is no cancer history in my family and we all tend to live long lives.

My daughter-in-law had both breasts removed and replaced before she had any sign of cancer because of the risk of breast cancer in her family. Just after she had her surgery her mom had to have her breasts removed because she had cancer. She beat the cancer the easy way with only a chemotherapy session. There is no cancer history in my family and we all tend to live long lives.
They have really good replacements available today. Women dying from breast-cancer will one day be history.
It's like they are finding out now, women that have ovarian cancer and have their ovaries removed, do not die of ovarian cancer. Who woulda guessed?
They have the 'patch' now so they still have hormones and live normal lives. I knew a girl that wore a patch.
So, if I develop testicular cancer, do you think I am gonna keep the 'boys'?
Nope. I'll have imposters installed and take a pill.
BTW, all 3 I mentioned above, can be inherited, in your genes.

I'd go out and buy another pair (of jeans). ;)

Doing family history can be a real eye opener. As we get close to retirement we start thinking in terms of "when I get to be X years old". But the question I have is what is My Maximum X? So the wife has been doing family history and my thinking is, how old did dad, grandpa, and my great grandpa's get to be. Surprise! The average was 73 with outliers at 56 and 85, I have been planing on living way too long! I think I will just start selling crap now and retire early! Well that might not be what I do, but it sure made me take a step back and give a hard look at what my plans are.

nothing specific, I think birth mother may have had some breathing problems towards the end of her life, she was a prolific breeder so this may have had some bearing, or maybe not.

Back