Get Home Bag

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
For christmas I received a total of $100 amazon gift cards, well its burning a hole in my pocket right now (lol). So i'm asking you guys what i need to look for in a get home bag,

For those of you who don't know me, I drive long haul truck and I am gone anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks away from home, so i'm looking for a good quality type of Get Home Bag that's a good bang for the buck.
Please don't say get a tactical bag and no explanation for it. i will ignore that post, but if you give an honest opinion on a certain tactical bag then I'm more then willing to read it.

Im thinking because i'm 6' tall and 200 lbs and relatively thin for my height (and out of shape lol ) im thinking of a 100l bag (6102.37 cubic inches), i don't know how large this is, but i think the 70L (4271.66 cubic inches) might be to small for me if i get caught in Tx when SHTF scenario might happen.

Any and all input will be appreciated from those who are more knowledgeable then myself.

Thanks guys

Flight

I'll be watching this one closely. Nothing like the folks that have put them together to learn from.

I don't have a get home bag, only a seasonal bailout bag (short term) and bug out bag (long term). But here are some suggestions:

- Keep it simple and keep it light weight. I try and lighten mine every year. That includes the weight of the bag itself.

- Dig through stuff you already own, you might be surprised what you already have that could be helpful & handy.

- Reasonable redundancy is never a bad idea. Don't just get a water filter, have some purification tablets and a boiling cup too.

- Customize it to your environment. Weather, terrain, rural vs urban, etc., etc.

- Use quality items not cheap items. A well made $40 knife is better than 3 fair quality $10 knives.

- Include the basics: food, fire, water, first aid, shelter, defense & tools. Plus zip ties and duct tape. Always.

- Having additional clothing is never a bad idea.

- Don't forget to include cash and silver/gold. Junk silver/gold or coins. Do not keep it all in the same place or all in the bag.

- Every year throw the bag on and go for a hike. Use some of the items. Skill and practicing with your gear are also preps.

- Make sure you have a plan as well. The gear alone is only part of the equation.

Last edited:
A "Get Home Bag" is supposed to provide your needs on your way back home. If you have driven a week and are a weeks drive from home you are unlikely to be able to carry the supplies to get you home on foot. In your case you may need to keep things in your bag that are normally found in a survival bag - "I'm never coming back" bag. You can keep a weeks worth of food, a weapon, first aid and water purification in a bag. You have a big advantage. You can keep 14 gallons of water in your truck and you have the truck. If the SHTF while you are on the road you fill the tractor with fuel, drop the trailer and head for home non-stop. Without the trailer you are less of a target and harder to stop. Get off the highways to go around cities and just get back home. I don't know how far you can go with just the tractor and full tanks but I am betting that you can get at least 600 miles closer to home before you run out of fuel. If you can get fuel then that is more ground you can cover. If fuel isn't available then you are going to be walking. That is what the bag has to cover. You will need to forage for food and water and find safe places to rest along the way. You will need shelter and clothes in your bag to cover the trip.

Expanding on what @SheepDog said... Carrying at least enough cash with you to fuel your tanks twice plus fix four flat tires? Assuming you are 1 tank from home on a normal day, 2 tanks should get you home in really bad conditions. Do you have enough available credit on a credit card to rent a car in an extreme situation? Think what if a car rental would cost $250-500 a day and you need 4 days to get home, plus motels.

Do you know how to disable any type of remote control your truck might have? Do you know how to fix your own flat tires? Have the tools to do it on the road if you need to?

What kind of an emergency are you preparing for and what season? A get home bag in the dead of winter is going to be a whole lot different than a get home bag in the middle of summer. You'll need good warm clothing in the middle of winter but not in the middle of summer. If you're preparing to wreck your truck in the middle of the wilderness/bear country after marital law is declared and no one is coming to help you, then that's an entirely different emergency to prepare for.

If there is a possibility that you are going to have to walk, be sure you have a few good pair of socks in your bag- especially ones that will wick moisture away from your feet. A toenail clipper, foot powder, and blister pads are also going to be really important. You'll also want some way to be able to keep your feet clean and dry, so washcloth, towel, and soap are important. Keep a pair of sturdy walking shoes on your truck for that "just in case" event. You'll have to tailor what's in your bag to match where you are going- you'll need different stuff to walk to Canada from Florida than you will to walk home from Alaska!

I did not know about the pack because there are so many and so many body types and needs. Something good no matter where you travel is a good stout walking stick or staff. I keep a 6’ pole about 2 inches around, wrapped in paracord for a chunk of the handle with a multi tool teaches to the wrap. I have walked prairies, forests, deserts and mountains with it. Helps with balance, makes an expedient weapon and more. Probably have lots of room for one in your rig (maybe you already have one).

Some people keep a trekking pole which is lighter and collapsible, but my preferenc3 is the staff

I know what I bring when I heavy haul, although I try really hard to stay in my own province or on of the bordering ones, I have a Swiss back pack, it is not big enough to carry much of the stuff that I need but it beats a grocery bag. Personally walking home is not a fun option. A bicycle at least, preferably with a trailer in a no motors situation. In a motors still run situation if I had to absolutely abandon my tractor. I would figure out motorized transport some how buy,beg, borrow ,scavenge ...
A back pack for extended trip camping would be more useful in a walk home situation.

GHBs are meant for short-term survival, so I've always found it interesting that some GHBs are packed by people who are a mixture of Rambo and MacGyver. If you set up a GHB for every plausible contingency, it becomes a 50# backache. We can learn a lot from cross-discipline training, and so I encourage folks that are setting up a GHB to look at the largest community with the most experience. No, not preppers! Hikers! Specifically, look at thru-hikers on forums such as WhiteBlaze.net or similar sites. These folks carry everything with them for over 2,000 miles (on the Appalachian Trail), often going 4-5 days between town-stops for food. They know, from constant experience, what to take, how to pack it, and what to leave behind.

My GHB used to be an old ALICE pack, then a new ALICE pack, and then various "tactical-looking" packs (which actually were pretty good). Now my "GHB" is an Osprey Exos 58 set up for back-packing, including my tent, sleeping gear, extra clothes, toiletries, FAK, kitchen & water filtration gear, 5-6 days of food. All of this weighs in (without water) at 18 pounds. If I ever needed to use my Exos as a GHB, I'd lose the stove/fuel and Android tablet and put in spare ammo. Full hiking clothes, hiking boots, pistol/ammo, knife, string saw, HAM radio, hiking poles, etc. are all kept alongside my pack and would get either put or strapped on. If you'd like more details, I'd be happy to share my setup and explain why I made the choices I did.

Okay, either I am reading the original post incorrectly or the members are offer great suggestion but not what the Snowman asked. He would like suggestion on specific bags types / brands/models for getting home, not what he should carry. Since I rarely travel for long distances (more than a days walk), I don't have a get home bag. If The shtf during one of my rare long distance trips, I am probably screwed anyway. Physically I am not going to be able to carry enough to get me home. So ladies and gentlemen, what bags do you use got getting home?

GHBs are meant for short-term survival, so I've always found it interesting that some GHBs are packed by people who are a mixture of Rambo and MacGyver. If you set up a GHB for every plausible contingency, it becomes a 50# backache. We can learn a lot from cross-discipline training, and so I encourage folks that are setting up a GHB to look at the largest community with the most experience. No, not preppers! Hikers! Specifically, look at thru-hikers on forums such as WhiteBlaze.net or similar sites. These folks carry everything with them for over 2,000 miles (on the Appalachian Trail), often going 4-5 days between town-stops for food. They know, from constant experience, what to take, how to pack it, and what to leave behind.

My GHB used to be an old ALICE pack, then a new ALICE pack, and then various "tactical-looking" packs (which actually were pretty good). Now my "GHB" is an Osprey Exos 58 set up for back-packing, including my tent, sleeping gear, extra clothes, toiletries, FAK, kitchen & water filtration gear, 5-6 days of food. All of this weighs in (without water) at 18 pounds. If I ever needed to use my Exos as a GHB, I'd lose the stove/fuel and Android tablet and put in spare ammo. Full hiking clothes, hiking boots, pistol/ammo, knife, string saw, HAM radio, hiking poles, etc. are all kept alongside my pack and would get either put or strapped on. If you'd like more details, I'd be happy to share my setup and explain why I made the choices I did.

I don't know about Snowman wanting more details but I certainly do. 18 pounds, that is doable of even my limitations. Please, pretty please, MORE DETAILS.

To help keep our newly-found focus, I use an Osprey Exos 58. Carries 30 pounds very comfortably (even though I only run ~25# w/ a "full load" of water), and it keeps the load close to my back (which is critical).

I don't know about Snowman wanting more details but I certainly do. 18 pounds, that is doable of even my limitations. Please, pretty please, MORE DETAILS.

So we don't derail this thread (any more than we have :)), let me see if we have an existing thread on GHBs. If not, I'll make one. Probably take me a little bit to get things written up.

Which would be better a internal frame or external frame? For what i think ill need a internal would be fine.
Generally speaking, external frame packs can take more weight than internal frame packs can. That said, many hiking packs can easily take 50#s of crap in them. In the hiking community, external frame packs are almost a rarity, used either because they're less expensive, already owned, or significant in some way ("my grandad carried this on D-Day!"). They also inherently keep the weight farther from your spine, which is bad.

Generally speaking, external frame packs can take more weight than internal frame packs can. That said, many hiking packs can easily take 50#s of crap in them. In the hiking community, external frame packs are almost a rarity, used either because they're less expensive, already owned, or significant in some way ("my grandad carried this on D-Day!"). They also inherently keep the weight farther from your spine, which is bad.

Ok thanks, internal it is. :D

Okay, either I am reading the original post incorrectly or the members are offer great suggestion but not what the Snowman asked. He would like suggestion on specific bags types / brands/models for getting home, not what he should carry. Since I rarely travel for long distances (more than a days walk), I don't have a get home bag. If The shtf during one of my rare long distance trips, I am probably screwed anyway. Physically I am not going to be able to carry enough to get me home. So ladies and gentlemen, what bags do you use got getting home?

TMT if it is too cold or too hot ,me too. Not good for long hauls anymore. Walking is one of teh worse for hubby too.

Would color of the backpack matter? I'm not into the bright colors, trying to not stand out i guess.

The nice thing about a hiking backpack they tend to attract much less attention than "tacti-cool" stuff will. I suspect the color effect is in the noise. Personally, I tend to avoid pure-black because that draws my own eye. Likewise, I avoid bright colors. This is really just the "gray man" concept. Blending in doesn't mean "be boring"...it means "be like everyone else." My Exos is the black/green combo since I think it would be harder to see than the blue/white combo, but, again, I think you're safe with most anything.

Would color of the backpack matter? I'm not into the bright colors, trying to not stand out i guess.
Snowman, if you are in a get home bag scenario, the very last thing you want is a bag the stands out. black, Dark green- not camo, looks too tactical and might invite curious folks to see what other tacticool items you might be carrying. JMHO.

I'm thinking of this one but in the army green color.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EAF78D2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are 2 important things I'd like to share, and they are directly pertinent to your situation. My apologies in advance as my discussion is going to deviate a bit from "what bag to get"...but it's important that the below is fully understood and accepted if you want the proper bag.

Buy your bag last
Figure out what you're going to put in your bag before you buy. This may sound weird, but here's why. Many people buy the bag first, and this would be fine if they knew how big they actually needed, but they don't. So, they buy a bag that's bigger than they need figuring they don't have to pack it full...and then they pack it full. This thus results in our 50# boat anchor (plus a gun in each armpit, a knife on each thigh, and a flashbang up the ...). They look really cool for the first couple miles before they keel over and chug half their water supply.

Instead, figure out what gear you need...and I mean "really need." Do you have to have the most powerful, heaviest flashlight (hush @Sentry18)? Do you need a knife that would be good for hand-to-hand combat, or is a pocket knife with a good blade sufficient? Do you need 8 spare magazines (how many gun fights are you going to get into before you get home?)?

Once you have your gear picked out, then we can move to my second point.

Do not buy a bag online
...unless you've already worn it in person. Backpacks are like clothes...Wrangler jean's 38" waist is 34" from Big and Tall and a 44" from the Hollywood fashion store. Each backpack will feel different to you. I go to a place called REI (Recreation Equipment, Inc.), and that's where I learned (as a customer) how to fit a backpack. Long-story short: they (and similar stores) will measure your torso and recommend a series of packs for you to try on. If you showed up at the store empty-handed, they'll put bean-bags in your pack (1#, 3#, 5#, and 10# bags) to simulate the weight of your gear. IF YOU HAVE YOUR GEAR WITH YOU, put it in the pack. Then they'll tell you to walk around the store and come back in 10-15 minutes. As you walk around, that pack itself and the bags inside it are going to shift. You will have to adjust straps, shift the pack on your body, etc...and it will become apparent pretty quickly if that pack will work for you.

This is so essential that I want to repeat this again - Try your backpack on in the store with your gear (actual or simulated), and walk around for 10-15 minutes. I really liked the look of the first few packs I tried on, and they felt "okay." My 4th or 5th pack was the Exos, and the medium size felt better than the others, but was too short for my torso and didn't allow the weight to be carried by my hips (most of it rested on the shoulder straps). I then tried on the Exos in a large, and it just clicked. It felt good the moment I put it on (even before adjustments), and then it felt even better when I got all the straps dialed in. When I'm carrying 10# in there, I honestly forget I'm even wearing it very quickly.

So, in summary, find the pack that's right for you. Read reviews on packs, know what you want to put in a pack, determine what features you want your pack to have...and then go try it on for size. If you'd like more advice, just shout out. It's your thread, so we can move that discussion to another thread and keep this one "pure", or we can mingle it all together...it's your show :thumbs up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I am a firm believer in not too tactical looking. In some areas tacti-cool might be normal and some tactical style bags are impressive but those who carry them stick out like a sore thumb here.

This video is of an Appalachian Trail Conservancy member helping someone about to start their 2,000+ mile AT hike. This is in Amicalola Falls State Park, which is the southern end of the AT (the end that 90% of thru-hikers start). The video is an excellent example of thinking about what people try to take and what's really needed; there's good advice throughout the 14 minutes. I give kudos to the person who posted for sharing their ignorance (no shame in it!) since it helps educate so many others.

For those curious, I was 6 month's shy of doing my own thru-hike, and then I held off a year because there was a good chance my wife could join me. Unfortunately, she has since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and sleep apnea, so I'm back to solo. I'm working on my PhD right now, and we're hoping to start our family in the next year or two, so my thru-hiking dream may have to wait until kids are older or (I dread to say it) retirement. In the meantime, I'm section-hiking pieces here and there as I travel for work.

Latest posts

Back