Get ready to clean the guns!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So, the married mother shop owner was killed because she flew a "pride flag" in front of her store??
I raised my right hand, took the oath, and served in uniform to uphold a person's rights. INCLUDING the right of free speech, to include flying a flag.
It's scum like the shooter that gives us conservatives a bad name.
I'm glad the cops saved us all a trial.

I really hate to back to a Full Size 1911, but my reload times on a .357 revolver leave a lot to be desired :(. Maybe after I move I can go to the range and practice more.
Our area is ultra low violent crime. A person is fairly safe unless they are involved with drugs or another man’s wife.
I normally just pocket carry a Walther PPK with two spare mags, or a Ruger LCP2, but sometimes I want more than .380.
So I’ll pack a 5 round .357 snub or my latest, a 6 round Taurus 856 snub.

HOWEVER, in just two weeks from now I’ll be driving two days to San Antonio, spending four days, and then driving back.
I came up with my “enemy territory “ set up. My .357 in an OWB pancake holster with the PPK in my pocket in case I need more than five chances. Reloading a revolver is just too slow. Things happen at the speed of light in a gunfight.

Going to be spending the nights on the road out and back somewhere in Louisiana, so I might put a 45 auto into my baggage for the hotel.

I really hate to back to a Full Size 1911, but my reload times on a .357 revolver leave a lot to be desired :(. Maybe after I move I can go to the range and practice more.
Wolf brand trigger springs.
a trigger stop.
trigger shoes.
Crushing a tennis ball while you watch TV.

Barring that, Rock Island makes a really decent commander-sized 1911 for 450$ that even a noob who can read directions can slick up into a top-notch carry in about an hour!
https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/m1911-a1-cspgi-standard-cs-45acp-7rdMagus tested, dead coyote approved! but the little darling is HEAVY! I did a total slick job and added an extended slide release and Pachmayer grips because the slick walnut slipped around. the biggest thing is wrapping a 3/4" dowel with 500-grit jeweler's polishing paper and doing the feed ramp and blending the area just under it to a mirror shine! Now if you have a few armorer skills or a book on tuning the 45, polish the sides of the hammer and sear, not a lot, just enough to remove the micro burrs. Lube it with Castrol synthetic 20 Wt. and use full size magazines and good to go!

P.S
Does NOT like steel cased ammo, not one bit!

Last edited:

I use a speed loader with my Rossi .357,but that's at the range. I don't carry it.

I have HKS speed loaders for all my revolvers.
But the two seconds it takes to reload is an eternity when you are getting shot at.

I’ve never been shot at while reloading a revolver, but I have been shot at.

One of the many nicer things about living in montana is the fact that even tho we live 12 miles from the capital building we have bears in our front yard. Which means I have a logical reason to carry the big can of bear spray on my fanny pack belt. It still might kill someone with breathing problems but a good dousing of bear level pepper spray could make most perps change their mind..

I have HKS speed loaders for all my revolvers.
But the two seconds it takes to reload is an eternity when you are getting shot at.
I carry a speedloader at all times when I carry a revolver, usually heavy grain for penetrators.

I carry a speedloader at all times when I carry a revolver, usually heavy grain for penetrators.
The wife prefers a revolver. I got her to stand at the edge of the bed and practice emptying and reloading with her speed loaders. Nobody will ever confuse her with Jerry but she is a lot smoother and faster. You can improver you reloading speed with a little practice. I practice reloads with my pistol too.

Mike and I do drills with all ours probably 3-4 times a year at least, our daughter even gets involved. We get some interesting looks sometimes even had someone call the cops once but it's better to be ready for whatever you might end up facing, especially considering from 10-7 it's me and an 8 year old and my critters. But 6 big Pitbulls are USUALLY all we need to discourage stupidity lol.

1911's are big heavy slab sided ugly beasts and the .45 ACP is slow and underpowered IMO.

Having said all that it's what I shoot the best with like it or not. So that's what I've been carrying for a long LONG time on a daily basis. I have 2 I switch back and forth between a single stack that's 100% match grade and crazy accurate and a double stack that's maybe 0.5- 1% less accurate but carries twice the rounds and actually weighs slightly less when loaded than the single stack. Different frame material makes the weight change.
I grew up on .44mag and if anyone made a reliable 1911 in .44 mag I would have to buy one. I had one of the early Desert eagle .44's and it was a real POS!

My point is a .22lr that YOU shoot well with is much better than a .500 that you can't hit crap with.

SO CARRY WHAT YOU SHOOT BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The word is what we make it. My personal beief is I decided to be here at this place and time.. I am sure glad I live in montana usa where it is just fine to carry a gun whenever I want to.
We have a range not to far away so every two weeks I spend some time there making noise.

Dademoss, that spring is probably still in low orbit... floating up there with all the other "space junk!" ;)
It MAY have crashed into the moon due to an "orbit irregularity"

Back