Getting concerned

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
Sunday was the day of lock down for the duck eggs. I decided to put some paper towels in the bottom for traction and to make it easier to clean after they hatched. When I moved 2 of them to put the towels in there,I noticed they had pipped. After I put the towels where they had been,I moved them back to where they were. I don't them I turned them in the process but the fact I moved them I thought maybe I disoriented them. The next morning I noticed another egg had pipped and a while later it hatched. The 2 that had already pipped still haven't hatched yet or changed at all that I can tell and it's been 48 hours. They're not actually suppose to hatch until tomorrow but the fact they've been pipped for 48 hours and I don't see any changes I'm getting really concerned. Any suggestions on what I should do?? Should I go ahead and carefully open them up the rest of the way or just leave them alone until Thursday?

Whoopie for your hatchings!
We've had some pip 4 days. I've made the mistake twice of helping the chicks out, and it was never good. Watching them die after helping them out is no fun. There is never a 100% hatch rate of healthy birds, at least in our house. But still crossing my fingers for you. Higher humidity helps.
I'm keeping it up there.

I never had hatching ducks so no help here. Sounds like all is fine though.
I miss Aflac but not Sassy she never shut up, they were Pekings. Heckle and Jeckle were Muscovies and were nice too, they would fly around property then come back down and hang with the others.
Aflax 'spl' would follow us around and loved being petter,Sassy was unsocialble.

That's what we have are Pekins but it's mainly the Drake's that are the quackers,even though you can't hear them well unless you're close. The African Brown goose is the main noise maker here.though.

Latest posts

Back