Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1539380733464321143831.jpg

I made this hot pad last year, love the fabric. Need to make some more.

This week I helped a friend make a blanket from fleece. It is one of the kind made with two different pieces of fleece that are tied together. She has never sewn nor made things like that. She asked someone what they would charge her. $100! I told her I would help her learn to make one. We went to the fabric store, picked the fleece, took it to her home and worked on it. We have about 4 hours into it, trimming the salvage, pinning it together, cutting the tie pieces and then tying it.

She was so happy with how it turned out, she wants to make some more for Christmas gifts. I told her I would help her again if she wanted. She wants to do two more, but my guess is that she will end up making more.

I have no photos!

I think fleece blankets for each family member, especially the double layer, are great gifts that could be considered prep items. I am considering making some for my family. We have lots of blankets and quilts and comforters, but the fleece blankets could be kept in vehicles.

They do make nice gifts. My NH's mother made some for the kids one Christmas.
That is a crazy price, $100. She could go on to make blankets and donate to shelters or needy children. There are plenty of charities that need that kind of assistance.
A friend asked me to hem up her pants. I'm no expert but I hem up my own pants since petites are too short and regulars too long. She said she'd pay me. I said no. She said yes. I haven't gotten them from her yet but I don't want her money! It only takes me about a half hour to cut off the extra fabric, fold it up, and hand stitch it. My machine is not one of the fancy stitch ones so I will probably have to still do it by hand on hers. I'm glad I know how to do some things.

They do make nice gifts. My NH's mother made some for the kids one Christmas.
That is a crazy price, $100. She could go on to make blankets and donate to shelters or needy children. There are plenty of charities that need that kind of assistance.
A friend asked me to hem up her pants. I'm no expert but I hem up my own pants since petites are too short and regulars too long. She said she'd pay me. I said no. She said yes. I haven't gotten them from her yet but I don't want her money! It only takes me about a half hour to cut off the extra fabric, fold it up, and hand stitch it. My machine is not one of the fancy stitch ones so I will probably have to still do it by hand on hers. I'm glad I know how to do some things.
She is on disability, so her budget is tight. I think she was in Special Ed when she was a child, so has not thought she can do some things. It took me back to my days teaching, sitting with her and working on it, encouraging her. The blanket looks great, but the confidence she got making it is what I wanted her to get. If she has never made things before, this is huge for her. I have made so many things in my life, I don't give it a second thought about making something as simple as that.

Her husband really liked the blanket and told her he wanted one. That was another confidence booster.

It reminds me of another friend who started to quilt about 4 years ago. She is quick and has made several quilts. Her family has admired her quilts and keeps finding different quilts that they want her to make.

Latest posts

Back