Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have often made gifts for others, when I had time.

This year I am going to make denim shop aprons for my daughter and her boyfriend. They are working on developing a woodworking shop. They are hands-on people. Leather aprons were suggested to me, and while I like that idea, I lack experience with leather, and have lots of experience with sewing fabrics.

I would like to make them each a kitchen apron as well, but she has one already. He loves to grill, so he needs an apron for that.

I'm making American Girl Wellie Wisher (the new 14.5 inch dolls) for my two granddaughters. I hope to make 2 each. One sparkly and one from their great grandmother's wedding dress. Then I need to make 6 sets of Hitty doll outfits for a friend's granddaughters.

I did granddaughter an apron and mitt set for Christmas. She is getting a kitchen play set so will fit right in. Used leftover material from her baby quilt and also from the last quilt I made for her big girl bed. IMG_20171119_162446.jpg

@Dani that set is so beautiful and I am sure your granddaughter will love them :) .

Incidentally I was wondering if someone could advise me as I have a heap of cotton flannel (flannelette) from old PJ's whether you could use multiple layers of that for the internal insulation for the oven mitts ?. I have heard that people do this with pot holders so I wonder if it would be a good substitute for insul-brite ?.

@Dani that set is so beautiful and I am sure your granddaughter will love them :) .

Incidentally I was wondering if someone could advise me as I have a heap of cotton flannel (flannelette) from old PJ's whether you could use multiple layers of that for the internal insulation for the oven mitts ?. I have heard that people do this with pot holders so I wonder if it would be a good substitute for insul-brite ?.
Sewingcreations, I have never seen that done, and it might work great, or not. I would test it out by using several layers, as many as you think you need, and test it on a pan coming from the oven.
Me? I have some flannel pieces that I am wanting to make t.p. cloth wipes from.

I did granddaughter an apron and mitt set for Christmas. She is getting a kitchen play set so will fit right in. Used leftover material from her baby quilt and also from the last quilt I made for her big girl bed.View attachment 665
That is a lovely set. I have a thing about aprons. I seldom wear one, but I love them!

Flannel works, but not as good as insulbrite. And you'd probably need a bunch of layers. But sometimes frugality wins out.

I haven't started yet, but am going to make some pillow cases for friends I meet after Christmas. They are quick and easy to make but look classy. This is the tutorial I follow:

I'm making American Girl Wellie Wisher (the new 14.5 inch dolls) for my two granddaughters. I hope to make 2 each. One sparkly and one from their great grandmother's wedding dress. Then I need to make 6 sets of Hitty doll outfits for a friend's granddaughters.

The Wellie Wisher dresses never got made. I ended up with more work than usual, so I sent money. They loved doing their own shopping so all is good. I did get the Hitty dresses done and 3 more since then.

Flannel works, but not as good as insulbrite. And you'd probably need a bunch of layers. But sometimes frugality wins out.

I haven't started yet, but am going to make some pillow cases for friends I meet after Christmas. They are quick and easy to make but look classy. This is the tutorial I follow:

I used a pattern for potholders "hot pads". I can't remember if it called for two layers of the insulbrite, but I experimented and used two layers, a layer of cotton quilt batting in between, then the outside fabric layers. I guess I wasn't using the right needle for the job as the sewing wasn't the easiest; but the finished job was much better than using only one layer of insulbrite. The crocheted pot holders someone gave me worked better than one layer of insulbrite with the two outer layers of cotton fabric.
They say using layers of flannel is good for hot pads but I haven't used it.

The Wellie Wisher dresses never got made. I ended up with more work than usual, so I sent money. They loved doing their own shopping so all is good. I did get the Hitty dresses done and 3 more since then.
Angie, I have a whole bunch of that in my life. That is the kind of stuff that I am working on now, finishing the unfinished projects. Lots of small stuff that I just want to get finished.

I have subscribed to her channel and want to get some pillow cases made up. I have a few small pillows that I keep with my sleeping bag that I would like to make up a couple pillow cases for.

I'm only slightly OCD and it would drive me batty to have my animals going sideways instead of standing right side up on a pillow case. I made a pillowcase with owls on it and they are horizontally sitting, not vertically.
Plus I think when cutting and sewing various projects, I usually see the pattern as being cut on the fabric with the selvages on the vertical. It has to do with how items perform or wear as they are used; especially when using any kind of fabric that has a stretch to it.

@Sewingcreations15 : Do you know what I mean? When making a skirt from a pattern, the pattern goes on the fabric, up and down, not lengthwise across the fabric. Does that make sense? The fabric would not wear correctly if the pattern is put the wrong way on it. And it would look weird. If you were making curtains, you would hang the fabric with the selvages of the fabric vertical. I hope that makes sense.
http://isntthatsew.org/marking-cutting-fabric/

I made my great niece these little dogs. It was just a preprint panek I got at the quilt store, but I think they are super cute. Messed around with some piecing on this quilt. Quilting is crappy, didnt realize my tension was off a bit and was in a hurry.
I love winter, this is when I can sew and relax.

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back