Global Food Shortages 2019

Discussion in 'News of the Day' started by Meerkat, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 12, 2019 #1

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I do think the weather is changing drastically, be it natural or man made won't matter.
    Alternative growing of cops may be needed.

Our neighbor Cuba is already suffering as is most of S.America. And America is also expected to have shortages this year.

2. Aug 12, 2019 #2

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

3. Aug 12, 2019 #3

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Maybe we should start thinking about alternative ways to grow food. And keep smaller hardier animals for meat. Since larger livestock depend solely on pasture or grain and eat alot.
    Grow indoors or under shelter and maybe that underground greenhouse I saw on here is a real good idea.
    Aquaponic and hydroponic use much less water than soil based medium. Aquaponic also produces fish if you can master hydroponic duckweed production it feeds the fish. We tried duckweed a few years ago but it got too hot and died. We had too many things going on. Fish,chickens and even dogs cane eat duckweed.

Zuma, Bacpacker, Weedygarden and 4 others like this.
  4. Aug 12, 2019 #4

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42 Neighbor

Well, good news! During the tit-for-tat trade war going on with China, they declared they will stop importing all agricultural products from the USA.
    So that means everything that was going to be exported, we will have to eat.
    Especially TONS of pork!
    Punish me! Make me barbecue! Yummy.gif
    We'll be ok:D.

Zuma, Bacpacker, Terri9630 and 9 others like this.
  5. Aug 13, 2019 #5

lonewolf

lonewolf

lonewolf

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Britain is only 61% self sufficient, without food imports we would have run out of food last Sunday 11th August.

Zuma, Terri9630, Weedygarden and 7 others like this.
  6. Aug 13, 2019 #6

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Well I can tell you that is will be a whole lot easier to learn before the shtf than during it.
    We started from scratch in a fat time and it was not real easy but very doable. We did fantastic growing hydroponics and if had better filtration at the time could have did well with Aquaponics too. First off we should have kept the fish pond under shade instead of out in the sun ,first mistake. And had no luck with duckweed for same reason I guess, heat.
    We used hardy fish koi and goldfish we already had that were several years old. Talapia need cooler water and more fussy.Solar power pump.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Bacpacker and Weedygarden like this.
  7. Aug 13, 2019 #7

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

8. Aug 13, 2019 #8

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

I'm not concerned and think there's some fear mongering going on, likely by the hypocritical climate change crowd.

Food is something we all should make sure we have a secondary plan for if the grocery store runs out of food. Those who don't have a plan should probably be more concerned (but just by their nature) I'm sure they're not. Thank the lord I live in the good ole' USA breadbasket. I could grow my own if I had to but would miss my pizza and beer.:( I will likely be long gone before this issue becomes my main concern. The farm markets in my area are robust, even with the wet spring.

Just b/c climate may be changing doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing. It will push forward innovation and new places will be good growing options that weren't before. There's still room here for man to adapt. We've been doing it since our origins. I think America will be OK, unless you live in Hawaii or maybe Alaska. Even those folks are used to the high prices they pay for products due to their high shipping costs.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/onward/2014/04/13/is-your-countr

On farm report, I heard that they are dumping cherries on the ground b/c foreign trade has taken the profit out of processing them. Alot of food availability has to do with trade and transportation/distribution, not necessarily if it can be produced. That point was made in the article Meerkat posted.

I have not seen the price increases yet that the article reports, nor have I seen any bare shelves.....especially in the vegetable isle. Although it looked like funyon stocks were a bit low that last time I was in the grocery store.:confused:

Zuma, snappy1, Supervisor42 and 2 others like this.
  9. Aug 13, 2019 #9

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Annoyed with prices today. Went to Sams, and the #10 cans of corn jumped from four bucks a can to $5.98 a can. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

snappy1, Bacpacker, Terri9630 and 2 others like this.
  10. Aug 13, 2019 #10

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

We've had both of them here.

11. Aug 13, 2019 #11

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

We are coming up on the time when canned veggies are the best price of the year as the processing plants are glutted from the recent harvests. I am going to be paying close attention to what is on sale, especially for veggies.

Zuma, snappy1, Amish Heart and 3 others like this.
  12. Aug 13, 2019 #12

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42 Neighbor

Yes, we have been dumped-on with rain at least 4 days out of every 7-day week for a month.
    The sugar-cane growing everywhere that is usually harvested in December, is over 10-feet tallgaah.
    What gets me, is the people panicking the most about climate-change are Alaskans worried about the permafrost thawing.
    You guys will finally be able plow the ground and farm!!! How is that bad news?:dunno:
    Be down here leaning against the gates of hell if you want to worry about climate-change.
    Almost every day for the last 3 months down here has been in the 90's.
    But there's an app for that:D.... Toast.gif

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Zuma, snappy1, Terri9630 and 3 others like this.
  13. Aug 13, 2019 #13

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

I lived on top of permafrost for 25 years and never worried about climate change. There were many gardens around town and one farm.