Gluten Free Life, Cooking and Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've wanted a gluten free thread for a while. I know that at least one of you is gluten free (g.f.). My daughter is as well. I have continued to work on gluten free food storage and continue to seek recipes and ideas that could be beneficial in preparedness.

"A gluten-free diet excludes any foods that contain gluten, which is a protein found in wheat and several other grains. It means eating only whole foods that don't contain gluten, such as fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs, as well as processed gluten-free foods like gluten-free bread or pasta."

You can purchase gluten free flour, but I want to get the whole grains to grind and make our own g.f. flour. There are some recipes out there, but the ingredients can be a challenge. Potato starch is an ingredient I've seen in gf recipes, but not something that I see in 25 pound bags, but maybe I haven't looked in the right place yet.

What do I have stored that is g.f. that could be used to make g.f. flour? Rice, beans, corn, xanthan gum. But I do know that there are a variety of recipes for making g.f. flour. I want to make sandwich bread or bread that can be used for sandwiches.

https://butterandair.com/high-altitude-gluten-free-bread/
High Altitude Gluten-Free Bread
★★★★★5 from 5 reviews
  • Author: Butter & Air
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus proofing
  • Cook Time: ~ 1 hour
  • Total Time: ~2 hours
  • Yield: I small sandwich-style loaf
Description
Finally, a recipe for truly delicious gluten-free bread that’s not only moist, airy, and flavorful, but can be baked at elevations up to 10,000 feet.
Ingredients

3/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F)
1 packet active dry yeast (not rapid rise) + 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 cup (140 grams, 5 oz) millet flour
1/2 cup + 2 TB (60 grams, about 2 1/4 oz) sorghum flour
1 cup (120 grams, 4 1/2 oz) tapioca flour (aka tapioca starch)
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
2 TB granulated sugar
2 tsp xantham gum
4 large eggs (room temperature), lightly beaten
2 TB neutral-flavored oil, such as avocado or grapeseed
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Optional egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water
Instructions
1. In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and 1/2 tsp sugar; set aside until bubbly.
2. Prepare a small (8.5 x 4.5 x 3″) loaf pan with cooking spray (or grease very thoroughly with butter or oil).
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the millet and sorghum flours, tapioca starch, salt, baking powder, xantham gum, and 2 TB sugar. Stir gently to combine.
4. Add the water/yeast mixture, eggs, oil, and vinegar on low speed until combined, then increase the speed to medium and continue to beat another 2-3 minutes, until the dough is smooth and the consistency of thick cake batter. If it’s too thick to pour (think muffin batter), beat in a little more water.
5. Scrape the dough into the prepared pan (it should be about halfway full) and gently smooth the top. Cover the pan with plastic wrap (tip: spray the wrap with cooking spray to avoid sticking) and leave in a warm place to rise. The proofing should take 45-60 minutes depending on the warmth of the environment and the activity of the yeast, but watch it carefully and do not let the dough rise more than a quarter-inch or so above the top of the pan.
6. While the bread is proofing, preheat oven to 375 degrees. When the loaf has risen to the desired height, gently brush on the egg wash (if using), taking care not to deflate the nice airy bubbles that have been created.
7. Place the bread on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 55-65 minutes (or even a bit longer), until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 195-200 degrees.
8. Cool the loaf in the pan 5-10 minutes, then remove and cool fully on a baking rack. Wait until the bread is fully cooled before slicing.
The bread is best eaten within two days. Leftovers can be frozen in individual slices; wrap each in plastic and store in a freezer-safe bag.

Notes
… Be sure to weigh your flours and starch if at all possible. All are fine-grained and can easily become compacted. It’s easy to end up with too much flour in your recipe if you’re simply relying on dipping a measuring cup into the flours.
… Make sure your xantham gum is marked gluten-free. It is typically sold in small packets similar to yeast packets.
… Resist the temptation to open the oven in the first 40 minutes or so of baking. This is an important time for setting the structure of the loaf and temperature changes can wreak havoc on the bake.
Find it online: High Altitude Gluten-Free Bread

Last edited:
There are some really yummy gluten free recipes if you look up AIP recipes. It is a variation on Paleo but without the nightshades.

There are some really yummy gluten free recipes if you look up AIP recipes. It is a variation on Paleo but without the nightshades.
Thank you. I've been trying to find recipes so that I know what ingredients to buy and store, such as tapioca starch, potato starch (flour), millet flour. None of these ingredients are readily available. You can buy small packages of them. Bob's Red Mill has them.

This a bread that is normally made with chick pea flour and served as a street food in Nice, France. I do have chick peas, so I could make this flour.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014757-socca-farinata
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup chickpea flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ large onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
PREPARATION
  1. Heat the oven to 450. Put a well-seasoned or nonstick 12-inch pizza pan or cast-iron skillet in oven. (If you have a socca pan, obviously that will work well also.)
  2. Put the chickpea flour in a bowl; add the salt and pepper. Slowly add 1 cup lukewarm water, whisking to eliminate lumps. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover and let sit while the oven heats, or for as long as 12 hours. The batter should be about the consistency of heavy cream.
  3. Remove the pan, pour 2 tablespoons of the oil into it and swirl. Add the onions return the pan to the oven and cook, stirring once or twice, until they’re well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the rosemary. Stir the onions and rosemary into the batter, then immediately pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pancake is firm and the edges set.
  4. Heat the broiler and brush the top of the pancake with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil if it looks dry. Set the pancake a few inches away from the broiler, and cook just long enough to brown it in spots. Cut it into wedges, and serve hot or warm.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/socca/Can I make my own chickpea flour?
Yes! To make, add dried chickpeas to a food processor. Cover and process until they’re powdery, 2-3 minutes. Sift the powder through a fine sieve and into a bowl, then add the larger pieces left in the sieve to a coffee or spice grinder and process until powdery.

Gluten Free Salted Crackers

http://gdonna.com/cooking-from-scratch/gannys-salted-gluten-free-crackers/
Gannys Recipe
2 Cups of gluten free all purpose mix
1/2 plus 1/4 teaspoons baking Powder
6 Tablespoons cold Butter cut into small chunks
1 ounce and a splash of any kind of milk
1/2 cup water
Kosher salt to sprinkle over the top before cooking

Preheat oven to 375 or less if your oven cooks hot or more if your oven cooks less hot.

Mix flour and baking powder into a large bowl then cut or work in the cold butter into the flour until fine and crumbly. Add milk and water until it forms something that looks like cookie or pastry dough. If it looks too thin add a little more flour.

Roll out to very thin using wax paper and then score the dough for cracker shape. Place this in the refrigerator for a few minutes if it has become too warm to make it easier to remove the crackers from the wax paper. Place on cookie sheet and prick with a fork then add kosher salt over the top. Bake for about 15 minutes then flip them over and bake until golden color. You may have to remove some that are turning golden color and place the other back in the oven until they are all golden. For me they take about 15 minutes more after turning them over.

I have also made them by rolling out the dough on the cookie sheet so I could make them even more thing. Then I scored them on the cookie sheet. I baked them for the 15 minutes then took a spatula and removed them broke them apart and flipped them over to bake the remaining time. This takes a little bit more work but does make a thin cracker. Either way the most important thing is to get them golden brown to enhance the flavor.
Enjoy!

My daughter had her biopsy at 22. Celiac disease
My husband just did the blood work. Gluten intolerance

Our life completely changed. We were huge pasta eaters.

Now we have to check every label because that stuff is tricky and hides everywhere.

My daughter had her biopsy at 22. Celiac disease
My husband just did the blood work. Gluten intolerance

Our life completely changed. We were huge pasta eaters.

Now we have to check every label because that stuff is tricky and hides everywhere.
Yep! Buying the gluten free versions of some things is always much more expensive: frozen pizza, Kraft Mac and Cheese (gf), pancake mix, cake mixes, brownie mixes, on and on.

And you can order gluten free food in restaurants, and still get gluten poisoned. Pizza is the worst offender. Some restaurants take it more seriously than others, and you will learn where you can and cannot eat. Because of getting gluten poisoned too many time from gf pizza, daughter now buys gf frozen cheese pizza from Costco and dresses it up with toppings and more cheese.

I just met a new dog to me, a new client, where the dog is very bothered by even a crumb of gluten.

I know people who have gluten allergies and eat gluten anyway. They have no idea how they are shortening their lives. There are three forms of cancer that only celiac's get.

https://www.alifeofhappenstance.com/coconut-flour-waffles/
Coconut Flour Waffles

by: Jennifer Brown

This easy coconut flour waffles recipe is a great addition to your breakfast rotation! The waffles are dense, sweet, and have just the slightest hint of vanilla! They're SCD, paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.

Prep Time 6 mins / Cook Time 5 mins per waffle / Total Time 11 mins
Servings 7 waffles / Calories 261 kcal

Ingredients
  • 1 cup coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 8 large eggs at room temperature
  • ¾ cup nut milk
  • ½ cup honey
  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract

Instructions
  • Oil the waffle maker according to the manufacturers instructions and preheat the to medium heat.
  • In a large bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth and well combined.
  • Allow the batter to rest for 2 minutes before whisking again.
  • Ladle the batter into the waffle maker and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Serve warm with your choice of toppings and enjoy!

Notes

• Coconut, almond, cashew, or pecan milk can all be used.
  • Separate each waffle with parchment paper before freezing.

I asked mom to make the above recipe this morning and they were really good. They were a little gritty, but that's because coconut flour is gritty. I think if you let the batter sit for a bit and 'soak' it can mitigate some of the grittiness. The waffles were really filling, and it was a good use of eggs! Also, we used coconut flour that was like ten years old, hahaha. So I can also attest to the longevity of coconut flour.

This girl has a lot of good recipes: SCD Recipes

I asked mom to make the above recipe this morning and they were really good. They were a little gritty, but that's because coconut flour is gritty. I think if you let the batter sit for a bit and 'soak' it can mitigate some of the grittiness. The waffles were really filling, and it was a good use of eggs! Also, we used coconut flour that was like ten years old, hahaha. So I can also attest to the longevity of coconut flour.

This girl has a lot of good recipes: SCD Recipes
I wonder if just the flour could be soaked overnight? Soaking flour is recommended by some people, even wheat flour.
Great to know about the coconut flour.
Thank you!

I wonder if just the flour could be soaked overnight? Soaking flour is recommended by some people, even wheat flour.
Great to know about the coconut flour.
Thank you!

Oh not sure about letting it soak overnight. I saw some people recommend letting it sit for 15-20 minutes and checking the consistency from there, which is what my mom did.

We've had the coconut flour since. . .2011? 2014? I picked it up at Sam's Club and we haven't been there in a long time. I tried to find the expiration date on the bag but couldn't find it. I didn't do anything to 'properly' store it. It's been in the same bag in the pantry the whole time. No bugs, no funny taste, no rancidity. I think I'm going to look into getting more now, though.

I did the gluten free thing for a while, until I went keto nothing really worked, I am of the opinion that grains do not belong in pretty much any mammal.
They are a commodity, no biblical references, cause that is just a control manual.
If it needs a special process to be used it is not food.

Oh not sure about letting it soak overnight. I saw some people recommend letting it sit for 15-20 minutes and checking the consistency from there, which is what my mom did.

We've had the coconut flour since. . .2011? 2014? I picked it up at Sam's Club and we haven't been there in a long time. I tried to find the expiration date on the bag but couldn't find it. I didn't do anything to 'properly' store it. It's been in the same bag in the pantry the whole time. No bugs, no funny taste, no rancidity. I think I'm going to look into getting more now, though.
We have coconut flour. I'm guessing my husband got it at Sprouts.

We also made this tonight. I'm not a personal fan of tuna so we used chicken instead. Instead of almond flour we used coconut because that's what we got. Turned out good; I think the coconut gives it a nice sweet flavor.

Healthy Tuna Patties

This healthy tuna patties recipe is a simple and easy dish that makes for a quick dinner, lunch, or even appetizer! It's a delicious and affordable recipe using canned tuna! The recipe is SCD, Paleo, Whole30, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and soy free.

Prep Time 20 mins / Cook Time 30 mins

Servings 10 tuna cakes / Calories 175 kcal

Ingredients

Tuna Cakes
  • 10 ounces canned tuna, drained
  • 2 cups cubed butternut squash
  • ½ small white onion chopped
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
  • ½ cup blanched finely ground almond flour
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil, for greasing griddle or skillet

https://www.alifeofhappenstance.com/tuna-cakes-with-remoulade-sauce/

We also made this tonight. I'm not a personal fan of tuna so we used chicken instead. Instead of almond flour we used coconut because that's what we got. Turned out good; I think the coconut gives it a nice sweet flavor.

Healthy Tuna Patties

This healthy tuna patties recipe is a simple and easy dish that makes for a quick dinner, lunch, or even appetizer! It's a delicious and affordable recipe using canned tuna! The recipe is SCD, Paleo, Whole30, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and soy free.

Prep Time 20 mins / Cook Time 30 mins

Servings 10 tuna cakes / Calories 175 kcal

Ingredients

Tuna Cakes
  • 10 ounces canned tuna, drained
  • 2 cups cubed butternut squash
  • ½ small white onion chopped
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
  • ½ cup blanched finely ground almond flour
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil, for greasing griddle or skillet
https://www.alifeofhappenstance.com/tuna-cakes-with-remoulade-sauce/
These sound good. There are many uses for canned tuna and chicken. I would want to put finely chopped celery in these as well.

Dad thought the patties were missing something and suggested Parmesan cheese on top.
I've told this a few times here and there on the forum. I once had lunch at someone's house and they served salmon patties with mashed potatoes and creamed peas over the top. It was so good and memorable, imho. Creamed peas over the chicken or tuna patties might be good as well.

Ooo, creamed peas? I was actually thinking about putting peas in the immersion blender but then thought, ugh, that seems so much like yucky baby food lol.

Crohn's can be miserable because I have trouble properly digesting food. And peas don't always mush down in my stomach which then creates a lot of trouble elsewhere in the GI tract. 😣 Creamed peas over a dish is something I never thought of and sounds a lot more palatable!

I also recall during the study of herbalism, diet etc, that Tuna does not have a toxin cleaning function,like scaled fish, it could have been a bias in the instructors part, but it might be worth looking into. I avoid tuna.

Ooh - I didn't know we had a gluten free thread! Good stuff so far, I'm going to have to give some of these a try! My wife and I started a gluten free-dairy free website back in the day, but kinda ran out of steam on it after a while. Still have some decent recipes collected there: Woggle-Bug My favorites are probably the Minestrone Soup and Non-gluten pancakes and Waffles...

@Weedygarden have you ate the recipes you posted?
No. I am trying to find recipes that I can try and then to buy the stuff for them. I have rice and beans and a bunch of fruits and veggies in my food storage, but really want to get working on a g.f. flour blend that works.

Have you ever put together a gf flour blend and then used it?

Ooh - I didn't know we had a gluten free thread! Good stuff so far, I'm going to have to give some of these a try! My wife and I started a gluten free-dairy free website back in the day, but kinda ran out of steam on it after a while. Still have some decent recipes collected there: Woggle-Bug My favorites are probably the Minestrone Soup and Non-gluten pancakes and Waffles...
Thank you! I went to your Woggle - Bug site. It is awesome! I may copy some recipes from there and paste them here. I am really interested in flour blends.

http://wogglebug.com/gluten-free-flour-blend/Gluten Free Flour blend
June 15, 2013 admin Leave a comment
Description: There are a lot of different flour blends out there- but I never have liked the ones with bean or quinoa flour. You can’t eat the dough, it is too bitter. Baking with kids is no fun unless someone gets to lick the gooey spoon.
Ingredients:
3 cups sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup almond flour
Instructions: Sorghum is the GFCF flour that I like most. It isn’t gritty like rice, it isn’t bitter like quinoa and bean flour, and it isn’t as allergenic as corn and soy. It is darker and denser than some, but delicious. Tapioca flour is great for holding things together and gives a nice crisp crust. Almond flour is mild tasting and adds protein. Sorghum is higher in protein as well, making this good for autistic kids- getting protein in them is so important. You can make big batches of this and keep it in the fridge for substituting. If your family is allergic to nuts, just leave out the almond flour.

I'm going to have to look at that. The kid avoids dairy because its aggravating her esophagus issues.

Thank you! I went to your Woggle - Bug site. It is awesome! I may copy some recipes from there and paste them here. I am really interested in flour blends.

http://wogglebug.com/gluten-free-flour-blend/Gluten Free Flour blend
June 15, 2013 admin Leave a comment
Description: There are a lot of different flour blends out there- but I never have liked the ones with bean or quinoa flour. You can’t eat the dough, it is too bitter. Baking with kids is no fun unless someone gets to lick the gooey spoon.
Ingredients:

Instructions: Sorghum is the GFCF flour that I like most. It isn’t gritty like rice, it isn’t bitter like quinoa and bean flour, and it isn’t as allergenic as corn and soy. It is darker and denser than some, but delicious. Tapioca flour is great for holding things together and gives a nice crisp crust. Almond flour is mild tasting and adds protein. Sorghum is higher in protein as well, making this good for autistic kids- getting protein in them is so important. You can make big batches of this and keep it in the fridge for substituting. If your family is allergic to nuts, just leave out the almond flour.
I'll dig up the cookie mix one and get it to you if you like as well, we just stopped selling it because the online shopping carts kept breaking. I should just post it to the site for free as well :)

I really prefer sorghum and buckwheat over any other GF flours - they have a way better mouth feel:)

I'm going to have to look at that. The kid avoids dairy because its aggravating her esophagus issues.
Yea, I've been no dairy forever. If they can tolerate ghee (clarified butter oil where the butter protein is removed - used a lot in Indian cooking), it's a great substitute for butter - especially for baking and roasting!

I'll dig up the cookie mix one and get it to you if you like as well, we just stopped selling it because the online shopping carts kept breaking. I should just post it to the site for free as well :)

I really prefer sorghum and buckwheat over any other GF flours - they have a way better mouth feel:)
There is a place where I can source gluten free grains and flours. This is the lists of their flours with amounts and prices. I've tried to mark out the flours with gluten. I wasn't 100% successful.
Golden Organics flour list 1.JPG
Golden Organics flour list 2, gf marked.JPG

Latest posts

Back