Gluten Free Life, Cooking and Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I've been no dairy forever. If they can tolerate ghee (clarified butter oil where the butter protein is removed - used a lot in Indian cooking), it's a great substitute for butter - especially for baking and roasting!

We haven't tried ghee but cheese is bad....

Yea, cheese is pretty much the worst dairy for me - after ice cream, because I'd consume it in such large quantities! Fortunately there's lots of non-dairy ice cream options. Almond or coconut milk based ones are my favorites by far - soy and oat based ones tend to be chalky.
We've done OK with Daiya dairy-free cheese sensitivity wise. It's close to real cheese in texture, but in my opinion it isn't worth the price for most recipes. Their pizza is great for when a kiddo's feeling left out of a pizza party, however - it's worth every penny then :)

They Daiya cheese is what we've been using. She actually prefers the oatley ice cream to the others. And rice milk. I haven't found a recipe for oat ice cream yet but I can make rice milk. I also make a pretty good chocolate ice cream with coconut milk.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Ingredients
1 cup gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups oatmeal (either regular or quick) or rolled oats
1 and ¾ cups semisweet chocolate chips
Shredded Coconut optional
Instructions
In a small bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for 2-3 minutes, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat just until combined. Don’t over mix. Add oats and chocolate chips, and keep beating just until combined. The less you mix, the softer the cookies will be. Dough will be sticky and soft at this point, so I highly recommend chilling it for at least 30-60 minutes. Cover and place in the fridge.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Drop rounded balls of dough onto baking sheets, about 1-1/2+" diameter. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until cookies just begin to brown at the edges and center is still soft. Keep batter in fridge between batches to make it easier to handle. Place cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
I usually add coconut to help hold the cookies together (and for taste). Use raisins instead of or with the chocolate chips. Dried cranberries or dried cherries (dried cherries are the best!) work well too along with dried blueberries or most any dried fruit.

Maybe its not the milk she is allergic too, itcould be the antibiotics, pasteurizatio, etc. i would look for A2 raw milk.
care to share your coconut ice cream recipe?

We have A2 raw milk from my cow. I used the Cuisinart dairy free recipe. I took the granulated sugar and powdered it for a less grainy texture. It had a coconut flavor right after it was ready but the next day you couldn't taste it.
https://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/desserts/coconut-chocolate-ice-cream/

I just found this recipe, so another I have not tried, but want to save for future possibilities. Polenta Pizza

Polenta Pizza (with Various Toppings)

Cheesy polenta pizza that you can top with just about anything you like. A gluten-free, healthier pizza crust alternative.

CourseMain Dish
CuisineRomanian

Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time1 hour
Total Time1 hour 20 minutes

Servings6
Calories387kcal
Ingredients
  • 1 2/3 cup coarse or medium cornmeal 250 g, Note 1
  • 4 1/2 cups water 1 liter
  • 1 ¼ teaspoons fine salt
  • 1 cup grated cheese Gouda, cheddar, Parmesan, 125 g
  • 8-10 tablespoons tomato/ marinara sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 5.5 oz spicy sausage chorizo, cabanossi, etc, 150 g
  • 3-4 small tomatoes
  • 12 black olives
  • 4.5 oz feta cheese 125 g
  • fine sea salt and pepper

Instructions
Polenta crust:
  • Polenta: Start by making a basic polenta. Pour the water into a large pot. Heat the water but don't let it come to a boil (it helps against the formation of lumps). Add the salt. Slowly add the cornmeal while stirring or whisking (with an egg beater, not a mixer) all the time (Note 2).
  • Simmer: When all the cornmeal is incorporated, continue stirring or whisking shortly to ensure that there are no lumps. Turn the heat down, place a lid on top but leave a crack open. Stir every 2-3 minutes or so, but there is no need to stir all the time.
  • Cooking time: Read the cooking instructions on the polenta packet to know how long the cornmeal needs to be cooked. For example, I cook the polenta made with coarse cornmeal for 40 to 50 minutes and the polenta made with medium cornmeal for about 15 minutes.
  • Add cheese: When the polenta is cooked, stir in the freshly grated cheese of choice.
  • Let cool: Line a baking tray with baking paper and pour the polenta on the tray. Spread it evenly with a spoon and let it get cold.
Pizza:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
  • Top pizza: Mix the tomato sauce with dried oregano and spread it over the polenta. Halve and slice the red onion, cut the tomatoes into small wedges and thinly slice the pepper and the sausage. Spread everything on the pizza and add the olives and the crumbled feta cheese.
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes in the hot oven until the cheese on top starts to get golden. Serve immediately with a green salad and Greek yogurt or sour cream dollop.
Notes
  1. Read the cooking instructions on the polenta packet to know how long the cornmeal needs to be cooked. For example, I cook the polenta made with coarse cornmeal for 40 to 50 minutes and the polenta made with medium cornmeal for about 15 minutes.
  2. A word of caution - be careful when the polenta starts to bubble; if the bubbles are too big, you might get burned – so turn the heat down if that happens.
Nutrition
Serving: 1/6 of the pizza | Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 1133mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g

I’m in a similar boat with dairy. I actually found a cookbook for DIY aged vegan ”cheese”. (My husband and I call it ‘cheegan’ because it sounds better than ‘nut cheese’. 😂 ) I can honestly say that of the recipes I’ve tried, most of them have turned out well and very tasty. Is it cheese? No. Am I sad when I have bagels and smoked fish any more? No! They’re delicious.

Artisan Vegan Cheese, by Miyoko Schinner

I’ve mostly done the soft ones, haven’t tried the sauces/melty ones yet, and did not have success with the aged one I attempted, but also don’t think I cooked that one correctly.

Can vouch that making the “spreadable cheddar” recipe with pistachios instead of cashews is a knockout, if an odd shade of green cheese. 😁

@Weedygarden, thank you for this thread!

You may find this website helpful:
Gluten-Free Bread Flour Mix

It goes into an in-depth discussion of how to make your own GF bread flour, and explains what flours to use in what proportions. There’s also a page for GF ”pastry/all purpose” flour on the same site.

I discovered it a couple weeks ago when I was hunting for GF sourdough recipes. I have since made an oat-based sourdough (husband does fine with oats but not wheat, don’t look at me, I don’t know why that works, but I am incredibly grateful for it) and the GF sourdough buns from the same site, and they were excellent.

@Weedygarden, thank you for this thread!

You may find this website helpful:
Gluten-Free Bread Flour Mix

It goes into an in-depth discussion of how to make your own GF bread flour, and explains what flours to use in what proportions. There’s also a page for GF ”pastry/all purpose” flour on the same site.

I discovered it a couple weeks ago when I was hunting for GF sourdough recipes. I have since made an oat-based sourdough (husband does fine with oats but not wheat, don’t look at me, I don’t know why that works, but I am incredibly grateful for it) and the GF sourdough buns from the same site, and they were excellent.
Thank you! I will look at it later when I am done chasing dogs!

@jishinsjourney - Thanks for the cheese info, I'll definitely have to check that out, I've especially been wanting to work more cultured foods into my diet!

I've always found that with GF mixes the "magic" ratio is around 2 parts flour to 1 part starch. Obviously, there's some give and take based on the individual ingredients used, but it's usually a good starting place if experimenting :)

I’m in a similar boat with dairy. I actually found a cookbook for DIY aged vegan ”cheese”. (My husband and I call it ‘cheegan’ because it sounds better than ‘nut cheese’. 😂 ) I can honestly say that of the recipes I’ve tried, most of them have turned out well and very tasty. Is it cheese? No. Am I sad when I have bagels and smoked fish any more? No! They’re delicious.

Artisan Vegan Cheese, by Miyoko Schinner

I’ve mostly done the soft ones, haven’t tried the sauces/melty ones yet, and did not have success with the aged one I attempted, but also don’t think I cooked that one correctly.

Can vouch that making the “spreadable cheddar” recipe with pistachios instead of cashews is a knockout, if an odd shade of green cheese. 😁
The options that I have seen for sale in stores for cheegan (love this term!) is not too small and is growing.

I don't need to worry about gluten free thankfully, but the protein bars I get are delicious and also gluten free. They are Rx bars, and you can get them on amazon. Just a few ingredients and 12g of protein.

The options that I have seen for sale in stores for cheegan (love this term!) is not too small and is growing.
Yeah, there’s definitely a lot more than there used to be. That said, aside from the Miyoko mozzarella and “double cream” chive, and the Daiya smoked gouda and a couple random “cream cheeses”, I’ve largely been disappointed in the flavor and texture. The ongoing shortages have not made it easier — the ones that I like often aren’t available, so it’s nice to be able to make my own.

I am very grateful that my local DIY pizza place has nondairy cheese!

Symptoms of celiac disease.jpg

Latest posts

Back