gmrs handheld two way radio suggestions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
On a recent camping trip with my son, we used his midland GMRS handheld two way radios and it was a great way for us to stay in contact and super simple to use. I am looking to buy a set and get the required license to operate.

Looking at Amazon I see the typical midlands, Motorola, Unidens, etc.

I already have the baofengs so I don't want anything that needs a ham. Something super simple but rugged and waterproof.

Any suggestions?

The best way to improve a radio is to get a better antenna. Should you ever decide you need to do that. So consider external antenna connections when choosing.

Questions: Do GMRS regulations even allow interchangeable antennas on handhelds? I know that FRS does not, but I don't know about GMRS.

The best way to improve a radio is to get a better antenna. Should you ever decide you need to do that. So consider external antenna connections when choosing.

Questions: Do GMRS regulations even allow interchangeable antennas on handhelds? I know that FRS does not, but I don't know about GMRS.
GMRS allows different antennae, FRS does not. GMRS also requires a GMRS license from the FCC. No test, just a fee. WRJY512 is my GMRS callsign.

From one of the local "prepper" nets, the the Retevis RT22 and the RT22S FRS were recommended, I have no personal experience.

"
A discussion ensued regarding FRS radios, with a mind to providing inexpensive
radios to trusted neighbors and family for use in an emergency (as well as
general use, such as around a farm).
o Hans & Howie recommended the Retevis RT22 and the RT22S FRS radios
(which can be purchased from Amazon for approximately $35 with wall wart
charger; there is also a slightly more expensive version with a cradle
charger). They are small and are more likely to be actually carried.
o The RT22 and RT22S also allow for some basic programming so you can add
GMRS repeaters, for example.
o The 22 is 16 channel with the first 15 being the FRS channels and the 16th
can be used with a repeater.
o The 22S has some unique features (vs. the 22). It can be opened up to 32
channels with an INI file (Hans has done it). There is a light bar (which can
be blacked out), and there is a battery indicator, too.
o Hans generously offered to field questions about programming the RT22/S
radios.

"

Thanks @dademoss! I was think GRMS so I can talk to my son on his GRMS system, thus I haven't considered FRS. I will take a look. The cool thing about the midlands GRMS verses the others I listed that it has the smaller footprint.

12.6 x 8.4 x 6.3 inches for the RT22 verses 7.9 x 2.4 x 1.5 inches for the Midland. But I am researching range and other features of FRS.

Thanks again!

Edit: quick duckduckgo search showed this:

HOW FRS DIFFERS FROM GMRS?

GMRS radios use specific frequencies within that same band designated for FRS radios: 462-467 MHz. The difference is that GMRS radios have designated channels within those frequencies that aren’t available to FRS radios. GMRS radios also require a license from the FCC to operate. That’s in part because they are more powerful. FRS walkie talkies can’t be modified to amplify their signal to reach further distances. GMRS radios, however, can be modified to have a stronger, farther-ranging signal, at least up to 50 watts. That means that a GMRS radio can have all the same capabilities as an FRS radio in addition to special channels that FRS can’t access, and the option to extend the range of the product

Last edited:
Thanks @dademoss! I was think GRMS so I can talk to my son on his GRMS system, thus I haven't considered FRS. I will take a look. The cool thing about the midlands GRMS verses the others I listed that it has the smaller footprint.

12.6 x 8.4 x 6.3 inches for the RT22 verses 7.9 x 2.4 x 1.5 inches for the Midland. But I am researching range and other features of FRS.
Something seems off on your dims. The Retevis are handheld units, dims from Amazon : 2.2 x 0.83 x 5.35 inches

Something seems off on your dims. The Retevis are handheld units, dims from Amazon : 2.2 x 0.83 x 5.35 inches

In reflection, I think the dimension includes the base! My bad!

Motorola radios are built like tanks and you almost-certainly will not break one. You will put a dent in your wallet, however. If I were going GMRS in a serious capacity, I'd go Motorola.

(Plan B might be to get a HAM license, and lots of doors will open up. Just sayin'.)

Aj, check out your Boafongs, most if them will do GMRS ranges as well as ham bands

I have those tucked away in a faraday cage with some other items. This will be for daily use. But you are 100% correct about my needing to optimize my boafengs. I am behind the power curve on that. Maybe something for me to work on this winter when I am not so busy.

I have those tucked away in a faraday cage with some other items. This will be for daily use. But you are 100% correct about my needing to optimize my boafengs. I am behind the power curve on that. Maybe something for me to work on this winter when I am not so busy.
Gotcha. I guess my thoughts were to standardize to one or 2 models of HT's. Makes programming, or even just use easier to learn than several different models. Just my .02

Midland GXT1050VP4. A pair for $75. 4 AA or rechargeable battery pack. :)

A much better quality is a Yaesu FT-4X dual band. It can be user unlocked and programed for GRMS frequencies. Excellent for SHTF. $130. Proprietary rechargeable pack :(

I have heard from anonymous sources that the UV-5+ can indeed be programmed with the FRS/GMRS frequency and works well.
I probably "works". But illegal to use in that role. The radio is not certified for those bands/use, and it has a removable antenna, which is banned for FRS. Output power may be too high for FRS also, but I can't remember the max power for FRS (they did raise it a few years back, but I think only to 3 watts maybe?) Unknown if its transmit bandwidth is within FRS specs either.

Bottom line: You can probably hear someone using a Baofeng if they transmit on FRS frequencies. Unfortunately, when they do so, they may be ruining things for everybody else who is playing by the rules on those frequencies. If you want to use your Baofeng for FRS, please do so only in receive mode. Don't transmit. Baofengs can technically transmit on many frequencies where they are not allowed, and do damage to legal communications in the process. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. In the hands of the unknowledgeable, a Baofeng is like an air horn that you stick into your neighbor's windows, indiscriminately blasting away.

I am a bit surprised that so many here - many who have HAM licenses and know better - are recommending these radios to unknowledgeable and unlicensed people for potentially illegal and destructive use (if they transmit). Receive-only is fine ... go for that with no qualms if you want.

Latest posts

Back