goals for 2019

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're a good driver then. What do you drive people in? The 30 mile roundtrip I'm talking is from Yoder, Kansas to Hutchinson, Kansas. There's an English guy that retired and bought a number of passenger vans and has young English men and women working for him that do the driving. He gets a cut and maintains the vans. And then there's some that charge by the trip on longer drives. Then, family members will fill up the van the best they can and everyone splits the costs.

I drive a 2008 kia rondo.it needs better tires on it.and new spark plugs thoe..

You're a good driver then. What do you drive people in? The 30 mile roundtrip I'm talking is from Yoder, Kansas to Hutchinson, Kansas. There's an English guy that retired and bought a number of passenger vans and has young English men and women working for him that do the driving. He gets a cut and maintains the vans. And then there's some that charge by the trip on longer drives. Then, family members will fill up the van the best they can and everyone splits the costs.
!

...There's an English guy that retired and bought a number of passenger vans and has young English men and women working for him that do the driving. He gets a cut and maintains the vans. ....

Father-in-law bought a passenger van. Wanted Mother-in-law to quit her job (she was the steady income earner) to drive the van. Told my wife she was going to take the calls and do the scheduling. He wanted me to raise the overhead garage door opening so he could park the van in the garage. He would collect the money.

I told him to hire a Contractor, wife wasn't taking the calls and he should be the Driver until the "business" was established. He bought a second van for a backup. A year later his "business" dried up. FIL is a in your face, inappropriately touching type, didn't take long for the Amish to spread the word.

Last edited:
My stepdad was a touchy guy to any woman or girl who crossed his path, including my Amish relatives. My own daughters knew to stay at a distance from him. I hated it when he visited family with my mom because it was mine and husband's job to keep him away from the ladies. He would get so mad at me. Total jerk.
A touchy driver would never last. There are rules. Even my closest male relatives shake my hand when they see me. No touching. It would be disrespectful to me and to my husband. My husband can shake a lady relatives hand. My closest cousin, we consider each other sisters, will hug my husband. She adores him. He just stands there and smiles. That's an exception.
Being a good driver is serious business, and it is a business. They must be insured. Typically they carry an extra car seat if they're taking mothers and children shopping. Most Amish moms don't have carseats, don't usually have a need for them. A good radio set to Christian music is a plus. Stopping at McDonald's drivethrough is another. Usually an Amish man will sit up front with the driver. Good drivers are "tipped" with homemade goodies, a nice family to stay with when driving long distances and breakfast to boot. Word gets around quick who not to call. Our next door farm neighbor knows to call us when we're there if they have an emergency. They have a new baby who got whopping cough a few months back when that was going around. Our farm is also used for visiting relative overflow when we're not there. We drive relatives around plenty, but refuse to be called "drivers" or take money. Husband and my "sister's" son in law always have an afternoon together where they take off into the big town, usually with grandson and a couple of young boys in tow and they go to Tractor Supply, to lunch, and to Loews. Us ladies use the afternoon to do local shopping, but will go by buggie.

Get back on track with diet, that last 20 pounds is frustrating.
Pay more on new to me car loan to reduce debt.
Purge, purge items don't use, don't make me happy.
Reuse, recycle, repurpose items when can, but get rid of when can't.
Hopefully keep from smacking Strawberry today with this in and out crap.
Acts like it dire she needs to go out right now.
Outside nothing, just patrolling the sidewalk.

Get the garage cleaned out, things organized.
Books, sell or toss.
Get back into my herbal studies.
Find a better job.
@MoBookworm1957 our dog will stand at the door, one scratch, open door, she steps out. Stands there less than 5 seconds, turns around, scratches to be let in. If someone goes out with her, it's fine. If the raccoon or possum is out there, it's fine.

Latest posts

Back