Goat's Rue

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I first read about Goat's Rue in the old "SAS Survival Handbook" by Wiseman. Sometime in the 90's and again around '03. It's listed under the fishing section. Goat's Rue contains rotenone and has been used to kill fish by many native tribes.

Before I seriously studied plants, I went looking for this plant but never found any. Had no idea what I was doing. Today I recognized it as a member of the Fabaceae or Pea family. There are more than a dozen wild pea's growing locally. All are toxic to some degree and most are similar in appearance.

Today I saw these red and white colored blooms beside a dirt road. I stopped for photo's, even harvested one to try to identify later. Yet something kept nagging me, it seemed familiar for some reason. About 5 miles later it came to me... Goat's Rue!

When I got home I searched the internet... yep! Goat's Rue, I actually saw several dozen plants. If I need them for fishing I now know where it grows.
-------------------------------------------------------

Goat's Rue (Tephrosia virginiana L.) native to the United States.
By Larry Stritch

Goat’s rue is a beautiful native plant that flowers from May to August and prefers rocky open woods, glades and prairies. Found in the Eastern portion of the United States, this plant has large roots that fix nitrogen. Plants grow 1-3 inches tall with pink and white, or pink and pale yellow, flowers bunched at the top. They cannot grow in shade and prefer sandy soils.

Due to the special relationship this plant has with the acidic soils it grows in, many have found this plant difficult to propagate.

The Genus Tephrosia originated from the Greek word tephros meaning "ash-colored" or "hoary".

Traditionally the plant was used to treat ailments such as tuberculosis, rheumatism and bladder problems. The plant is also being studied in cancer research. The seeds are reported to cause nausea and Seminole Indians are said to have used the root, which contains the insecticide rotenone, to poison fish. Other folklore speaks of pouring a tea made from the roots on garden plants to kill insects. Long, thin and tough, the roots are the source of the name "devil's shoestring." The long roots also make this plant drought resistant. This native plant's stems are covered with a silky, silver hair that has caused allergic reactions in some people.

At one time this plant was fed to goats as it was thought to improve milk production. That earned it the common name "goat's rue" due to the presence of rotenone. That practice is no longer followed.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/tephrosia_virginiana.shtml

Goat's Rue 01a.JPG
Goat's Rue 02a.JPG

Last edited:
OH! I saw something like that a couple weeks ago but it wasn't flowering. I remember it cuz the leaves reminded me of a sensitive plant but it didn't react when touched.

I've read books and articles about edible plants so I know the feeling of walking in the woods and stopping to stare at a plant cuz I know it's familiar but can't place exactly what it is at that moment. 🤣

How does it help with fishing?

"the root, which contains the insecticide rotenone, to poison fish."

Do an internet search "rotenone and fish poison", dozens of websites explain this fish poison and how it's used.

OH! I saw something like that a couple weeks ago but it wasn't flowering. I remember it cuz the leaves reminded me of a sensitive plant but it didn't react when touched.

I've read books and articles about edible plants so I know the feeling of walking in the woods and stopping to stare at a plant cuz I know it's familiar but can't place exactly what it is at that moment. 🤣

Which "sensitive plant"? I know of 3 plants with that name.

Which "sensitive plant"? I know of 3 plants with that name.

I'm honestly not sure, I had one in a pot when I was a kid. We must have gotten it at a garden store. I was endlessly entertained that the leaves folded up when I touched it.

Latest posts

Back