Going Paleo/What are your favorite recipes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAgal

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So who all has gone Paleo or Keto?

The birddog and I went Paleo about 9 months ago and we have seen vast improvements in the way we feel over all and we have both dropped a significant amount of weight. I know I feel amazing!

I have a lot of really good recipes and thought if anyone is interested we could use this thread as a recipe share.

Here is a pic of one of my favorite and quick meals.
Screenshot_20171129-125618.png

I have been on it a while. It is a very easy diet for me to stay on. I raise meat rabbits and chickens and my own vegetables. Venison, pork, fish, wild rabbit and squirrel make up the rest of my meats. I rarely eat fruits, but lots of nuts and berries. Especially pecans, strawberries and blackberries.

I have had to add some non Paleo foods to combat health issues caused by the Paleo diet. Namely salt and fiber. I developed an iodine defeciency I tried to combat with Lugols Solution, but Lugols is hard to find, so I added iodized salt back to the diet. I also added psyllium husk daily. And a Centrum Silver.

The diet is somewhat bland I guess, the meat is usually poached or roasted, vegetables usually eaten raw.

Weight is coming off slowly. I finally got serious about losing weight when I weighed out at 396 pounds. I swore to never hit 400 pounds. My November physician visit had me at 317 pounds. My profile picture is me at about 350 pounds. My initial gosl was 250 pounds, still is, but weight loss is slowing and muscle mass increasing. Good news is that while weight loss is only about 4 or 5 pounds a month now, almost all is fat loss.

I do paleo for dinner. I did keto for a while but trying to add muscle mass (bulking phase) so I do protein/meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch. I like the garden of life raw. Add half tbsp quinoa flakes to my breakfast (the a double scoop of the mix- I dont drink it all at once) and 1 tbsp oats to lunch. Dinner is generally salad, steamed or lightly sauteed veggies and meat I generally grill or roast. I avoid dairy and refined carbs and all sugars except for limited amounts of fruit (I really like a grapefruit for desert). Ill go back to keto when on a cutting phase. I dont worry about pounds although I do count calories and keep up with my macros using my fitness pal. I worry more about body fat percentage and how easily I can handle strenuous exercise and cardio. Mon- fri I do 1.5 hrs of weight lifting followed by 70 min of cardio (exercise bike). I play tennis for a couple hours a couple times a week and go on a long trail run with a lot of uphill elevation change every Sunday (just over 5 mile). I spent a long time working up to all that and have dropped a lot of weight. While I really enjoy the exercise diet has certainly been the most important factor. I ignored it at the beginning to my detriment.

I eat everything in moderation, the digestive abilities of modern humans are different from those of Paleolithic humans, which undermines the diet's core premise !.............

So who all has gone Paleo or Keto?

The birddog and I went Paleo about 9 months ago and we have seen vast improvements in the way we feel over all and we have both dropped a significant amount of weight. I know I feel amazing!

I have a lot of really good recipes and thought if anyone is interested we could use this thread as a recipe share.

Here is a pic of one of my favorite and quick meals. View attachment 2399
What is that brown stuff in the middle of your plate? Hummus?

I used what was mostly a Keto diet and I went from 235 to 182 in a little over 2 months. I made my own bean/salsa dip from scratch and used celery, carrots, or bok choy to scoop it up with. I made home made ice cream without using dairy products.

Bok choy chicken. 3-4 deboned skinless chicken breasts, good size head of boc choy, raw fresh ginger, coconut oil, sea salt{real}, pepper, onions, cooking wine.
Cook the chicken on medium to medium/ high heat in a large skillet with a lid. Add a little bit of coconut oil and water to cover bottom of pan. Cook with lid on occasionally stirring till the chicken is falling apart. While it is cooking, clean and cut the leaves off the bok choy. Cut the bok choy stalks in strips about 3 inches long. Shred 3 inch piece of raw skinned ginger root. If you don't want the onion or wine that's okay to leave out. Onion is quartered and should be in thin slices. The wine cooks out and I really couldn't taste it in the end dish. I actually seldom added any salt to anything I cooked and if used it was real sea salt not the fake stuff that really is about the same as table salt. If you see sea salt that is pure white then you can bet it is refined which then is basically like table salt. It is stripped of the good minerals in sea salt.
After the chicken has cooked super tender then use a spatula to break it up into strips. Add the bok choy strips into the skillet with the chicken and add the ginger, wine, onions. You want a bit of water with coconut oil in the pan for steaming and keep from burning. After the bok choy has gotten tender then add the bok choy leaves on top. Cover again and let it cook till the leaves are wilted and soft.
First time I made I was at work eating it and I said out loud I needed to remember how I made it. Customer heard me say that and he said " you made that". I guess he smelled the aroma of it.
I was never hungry because I was eating home prepared food for snacking on. Customers that knew me for a long time asked if I was sick because I was losing so much weight so fast. They told me get some clothes that fit then. I went from a size 38 waist to a size 34 in about 2+ months.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Here is the pic.

Attachments

• skinnypic.jpg
    skinnypic.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on it a while. It is a very easy diet for me to stay on. I raise meat rabbits and chickens and my own vegetables. Venison, pork, fish, wild rabbit and squirrel make up the rest of my meats. I rarely eat fruits, but lots of nuts and berries. Especially pecans, strawberries and blackberries.

I have had to add some non Paleo foods to combat health issues caused by the Paleo diet. Namely salt and fiber. I developed an iodine defeciency I tried to combat with Lugols Solution, but Lugols is hard to find, so I added iodized salt back to the diet. I also added psyllium husk daily. And a Centrum Silver.

The diet is somewhat bland I guess, the meat is usually poached or roasted, vegetables usually eaten raw.

Weight is coming off slowly. I finally got serious about losing weight when I weighed out at 396 pounds. I swore to never hit 400 pounds. My November physician visit had me at 317 pounds. My profile picture is me at about 350 pounds. My initial gosl was 250 pounds, still is, but weight loss is slowing and muscle mass increasing. Good news is that while weight loss is only about 4 or 5 pounds a month now, almost all is fat loss.
Sounds like you are doing great! And there are tons of really tasty recipes out there. Look up Well Fed. Mel. Has some awesome recipes.

I do paleo for dinner. I did keto for a while but trying to add muscle mass (bulking phase) so I do protein/meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch. I like the garden of life raw. Add half tbsp quinoa flakes to my breakfast (the a double scoop of the mix- I dont drink it all at once) and 1 tbsp oats to lunch. Dinner is generally salad, steamed or lightly sauteed veggies and meat I generally grill or roast. I avoid dairy and refined carbs and all sugars except for limited amounts of fruit (I really like a grapefruit for desert). Ill go back to keto when on a cutting phase. I dont worry about pounds although I do count calories and keep up with my macros using my fitness pal. I worry more about body fat percentage and how easily I can handle strenuous exercise and cardio. Mon- fri I do 1.5 hrs of weight lifting followed by 70 min of cardio (exercise bike). I play tennis for a couple hours a couple times a week and go on a long trail run with a lot of uphill elevation change every Sunday (just over 5 mile). I spent a long time working up to all that and have dropped a lot of weight. While I really enjoy the exercise diet has certainly been the most important factor. I ignored it at the beginning to my detriment.
Garden of life is really good. I like their stuff too.

I eat everything in moderation, the digestive abilities of modern humans are different from those of Paleolithic humans, which undermines the diet's core premise !.............
I eat like this because it makes me feel good. I feel really bad when I eat grains and lots if simple carbs. I eat treats and bread occasionally but not every day. :)

I used what was mostly a Keto diet and I went from 235 to 182 in a little over 2 months. I made my own bean/salsa dip from scratch and used celery, carrots, or bok choy to scoop it up with. I made home made ice cream without using dairy products.

Bok choy chicken. 3-4 deboned skinless chicken breasts, good size head of boc choy, raw fresh ginger, coconut oil, sea salt{real}, pepper, onions, cooking wine.
Cook the chicken on medium to medium/ high heat in a large skillet with a lid. Add a little bit of coconut oil and water to cover bottom of pan. Cook with lid on occasionally stirring till the chicken is falling apart. While it is cooking, clean and cut the leaves off the bok choy. Cut the bok choy stalks in strips about 3 inches long. Shred 3 inch piece of raw skinned ginger root. If you don't want the onion or wine that's okay to leave out. Onion is quartered and should be in thin slices. The wine cooks out and I really couldn't taste it in the end dish. I actually seldom added any salt to anything I cooked and if used it was real sea salt not the fake stuff that really is about the same as table salt. If you see sea salt that is pure white then you can bet it is refined which then is basically like table salt. It is stripped of the good minerals in sea salt.
After the chicken has cooked super tender then use a spatula to break it up into strips. Add the bok choy strips into the skillet with the chicken and add the ginger, wine, onions. You want a bit of water with coconut oil in the pan for steaming and keep from burning. After the bok choy has gotten tender then add the bok choy leaves on top. Cover again and let it cook till the leaves are wilted and soft.
First time I made I was at work eating it and I said out loud I needed to remember how I made it. Customer heard me say that and he said " you made that". I guess he smelled the aroma of it.
I was never hungry because I was eating home prepared food for snacking on. Customers that knew me for a long time asked if I was sick because I was losing so much weight so fast. They told me get some clothes that fit then. I went from a size 38 waist to a size 34 in about 2+ months.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Here is the pic.
You look great! And I have to try that recipe. It sounds amazing.

I eat like this because of health reasons. Insulin dependant type 2 diabetic and SVT. I don't know what the diet did to fix the SVT, it took an ablation, but I am convinced the diet helped. Diabetes was uncontrolled. A1C was near 12. Now it's below 7 and I am not taking insulin.

I have had a few setbacks. The mentioned iodine defeciency, plus issues with low fiber, plus a vitamin B12 deficiency which I don't understand because I am most definitely a carnivore. But it put me in the hospital a few months ago. I couldn't walk for several days. All problems solved. Originally I started with the ketogenic diet. I lost 40 pounds or so fast, this is also when I had all my issues except the B12 deficiency.

We have always grown, raised, or caught most of our food, but it is surprising how much processed foods we bought. Mostly enriched flour and sugar!

I changed to paleo for the same reasons. I was diagnosed with type 2 on my 50th birthday and had already been put on HBO meds 6 months before. I decided I wasn' staying on that meds if there was anything I could so about it. I saw first hand what diabetes will do to a person with my dad. I am down 70 pounds and am no longer on any mainenance meds.

I just made the bok choy chicken tonight. I did use a small can of chicken broth and didn't add coconut oil since my chicken had already been cooked. I also didn't have any wine . What I usually do is when it is almost done I leave the lid off till it thickens up a bit if it was really wet.
During the holidays I usually blow healthy eating out the kitchen door. I consume to many sweets during this time. Geeze all the cookies and sweets win.
I used to be on meds for high B/P when I was eating those so called healthy dinners. I cook from scratch now and I don't take any meds now. I usually take my B/P every day or even several times a day. I have noticed if I have a spike in B/P that using magnesium oil on my arm brings the B/P down usually by the next day. It's a shame so many doctors don't even deal with lack of minerals causing health problems. Lack of vitamin D3, magnesium and iodine can wreak havoc on the body health but seldom do doctors even look at that as the cause.

To check if your lacking iodine then put 4 drops on your inner arm and smear it around a 3" square. If the iodine isn't still showing 8-12 hours after putting it on then there is a really good chance you are lacking iodine.

I should check into this. Would I be right to assume this paleo diet is a kissing cousin to the Atkins diet? I'm a type 1 diabetic, since I was 15 (I'm 45 now) and since about 2008 I have steadily been gaining weight. In May of 2007 I weighed 172 pounds, this week at the doc I weighed 250. I think it's due to age plus having a traveling job where I live out of a hotel, plus back and shoulder injuries. I can't run and can't lift heavy weights and can't ride a bike for more than a few minutes. If I can figure out a way to eat like this at the hotels, maybe I can cut some weight...

I'd love to see some good recipes posted here!

No one wants my recipes; they're mostly meat and cheese wrapped in lettuce
or cottage cheese with a little fresh fruit.

Ok, I am hooked because diet is something I consider as important as self defense. However, I am not a dieter so fad diets bore me. Let me add that that in 2013 at the age of 70 I weighed 205 pounds with a 36 inch waist, high colesterol and triglycerides, and blood pressure that if not medicated would have killed me. At that time my internist retired and he recommend another Doc for me. I took the recommendation and had an appointment with him. I thought he was familiar and as he reviewed my medical history he saw I had been wounded in Nam. He told me he had been a Navy Surgeon in Nam. After some lengthy conversation we determined he had done the surgery to remove the AK rounds from my chest during the battle for Hue City in 1968. I told him he saved my life. He told me he was going to do it again. I followed his advice and today I weigh 165 pounds with a 33 inch waste, have low cholesterol with good stuff being 50% greater than the bad kind. My blood pressure dropped substantially and now I take the lowest dose of the mildest medication, Enaapril, to come in at 120 over 72. Keep in mind that is really good for a 75 year old.

The way to all the gains was diet. Not a diet, but a diet of beneficial foods eliminating the tasty but unhealthy stuff. It took time, but I evolved into eating in moderation and avoiding all things processed, over salted, with antibiotics, sugar additives, and non whole grain. On top of that I ate fresh vegetables and limited my meat intake. That 12 oz ribeye I used to grill is now a 6 oz grass fed beef or buffalo sirloin. There is no ice cream, potato chips, candy, etc the house. I do sometimes enjoy them but I never stock them. A snack for me is slices of carrots, bell peppers, and celery.

I learned that canned salmon and tuna have all the nutritional benefits if fresh fish.I eat them in salads every day. Yes, every day.I learned to stir fry fresh vegetables in olive oil with spices and add a bit of chicken or fish to it. I learned to eat to live rather than live to eat. I do not consume half the food I used to years ago, and I eat much better foods. The result is I feel great.

One of my favorites is a london broil marinated in coconut aminos, a small onion and a little garlic with salt and pepper. Stick in ziplock and let marinate for a couple hours then put in oven set on broil. 5-6 minutes a side (flip meat half way through) depending on size of london broil. Seconds matter. It can over cook if you are off by 10 seconds. You just have to play with it till you get it right. Not all ovens are the same and size and shape of meat make a difference. I arrange the onions from the marinade around the london broil and then add extra because they are awesome. Slice meat thin when done after it rests. I generally serve with either asparagus or green beans and mushrooms. I put the veggies in a fry pan on high with some chicken stock and cover to let steam till 3/4 done then remove the lid and allow liquid to reduce to a sauce. Its a good dinner.

Ok, I am hooked because diet is something I consider as important as self defense. However, I am not a dieter so fad diets bore me. Let me add that that in 2013 at the age of 70 I weighed 205 pounds with a 36 inch waist, high colesterol and triglycerides, and blood pressure that if not medicated would have killed me. At that time my internist retired and he recommend another Doc for me. I took the recommendation and had an appointment with him. I thought he was familiar and as he reviewed my medical history he saw I had been wounded in Nam. He told me he had been a Navy Surgeon in Nam. After some lengthy conversation we determined he had done the surgery to remove the AK rounds from my chest during the battle for Hue City in 1968. I told him he saved my life. He told me he was going to do it again. I followed his advice and today I weigh 165 pounds with a 33 inch waste, have low cholesterol with good stuff being 50% greater than the bad kind. My blood pressure dropped substantially and now I take the lowest dose of the mildest medication, Enaapril, to come in at 120 over 72. Keep in mind that is really good for a 75 year old.

The way to all the gains was diet. Not a diet, but a diet of beneficial foods eliminating the tasty but unhealthy stuff. It took time, but I evolved into eating in moderation and avoiding all things processed, over salted, with antibiotics, sugar additives, and non whole grain. On top of that I ate fresh vegetables and limited my meat intake. That 12 oz ribeye I used to grill is now a 6 oz grass fed beef or buffalo sirloin. There is no ice cream, potato chips, candy, etc the house. I do sometimes enjoy them but I never stock them. A snack for me is slices of carrots, bell peppers, and celery.

I learned that canned salmon and tuna have all the nutritional benefits if fresh fish.I eat them in salads every day. Yes, every day.I learned to stir fry fresh vegetables in olive oil with spices and add a bit of chicken or fish to it. I learned to eat to live rather than live to eat. I do not consume half the food I used to years ago, and I eat much better foods. The result is I feel great.
Fueling our bodies with real food from nature is definitely the way to go. We have treat occasionally but our daily meals consist of lean protein, lots of veggies and a little fruit. There are so many tasty ways to prepare them.

And diet as in lifestyle is 80 percent of the battle.

We usually have a big salad for dinner with either grilled chicken or shrimp but it's cold and damp here today so I wanted something warm and comforting. I decided that we would have Beef & Gravy on (cauliflower) Rice from Well Fed 2. So yummy. Here is the recipe with my modifications.

1 batch of cooked cauliflower rice
1 pound of ground beef
1 tbls olive oil
1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cup bone broth
3 tbls potato starch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cocout aminos

Heat olive oil over med high heat. Add onion and cook until traslucent.

Add beef and garlic and cook until most of the pink is gone.

Mix potato starch, salt, pepper and thyme in a small bowl. Add to beef mixture and stir to combine.

Add bone broth and coconut aminos. Cook until thickened. (This will be quick)

Top rice with beef and Gravy and sprinkle with parsley.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the Eagles (my team) beat the Giants. It is a slugfest rivalry since the first time they met in 1933. Brutal games between teams that want to win for regional pride. Finished my celebratory vodka on the rocks with a splash of lemon and moved onto dinner prep. Dinner is stir fries green beans in garlic sauce, shrimp with ginger and scallions, and couscous in place of rice. Heating the 39 old steel wok now. Miss the good woman. She loved this dish.

It sounds fantastic. I just copied it and put it in my mea,s to make file. Thanks.

Just watched the Eagles (my team) beat the Giants. It is a slugfest rivalry since the first time they met in 1933. Brutal games between teams that want to win for regional pride. Finished my celebratory vodka on the rocks with a splash of lemon and moved onto dinner prep. Dinner is stir fries green beans in garlic sauce, shrimp with ginger and scallions, and couscous in place of rice. Heating the 39 old steel wok now. Miss the good woman. She loved this dish.
That sounds fantastic. How do you do your garlic sauce?

And I'm sorry your misses is no longer here to enjoy it with you. Hugs.

So this afternoon I am cooking up a big pot of soup. This along with the salad fixings in the frig will hold us over until the big day on Monday. ;)

The soup d'jour is Sausage and Kale. Like most soups it tastes even better on day two and freezes really well. I don't usually have any left to freeze though. :D

Here is the recipe.

2 tbsp coconut oil divided
1 pound Italian sausage. (We prefer the mild but feel free to use your favorite)
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 medium carrots chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 largish sweet potato (I like to use white sweet potato when I can find them)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 cups bone broth or chicken stock
5 cups chopped kale
1 can coconut milk (I use the light but please feel free to use the full fat if you prefer)
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. In a large pot, Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook through.
2. Add the remaining oil, onion, carrot, celery and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minute or until veggies start to soften.
3. Add the garlic and nutmeg and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Increase heat to high, Add the broth and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low, stir in the kale and simmer 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the coconut milk and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

20171222_170319.jpg

I love to make “fried rice” with the riced cauliflower. I usually add a bunch of veg and some chicken. Yummy.
It's SO good! I just found a recipe for N-oatmeal that uses cauliflower rice. It's not bad.

I'm making Italian Vegetable Soup today. I'll let you know how it turns out. Here is the before pic plus onion and garlic. I'll serve it over seasoned ground beef for a complete meal. ;)
20171230_132220.jpg

872ACB6E-BDA9-4A48-8612-2C8858ADB317.jpeg
Ham and Egg muffins
Spray muffin pan with Olive Oil
Fill tins with chopped ham, cilantro, red bell peppers and avocado.
Scramble 1 to 2 eggs per tin pour and gently mix.
Pre Heat oven to 400 deg
Cook 25 to 30 Min.

Latest posts

Back