Going skydiving tomorrow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sick of sitting home doing nothing.
Mrs. Zoomzoom and our daughter went to Florida for a couple weeks (they needed go get out as well).
So, our son and I decided to go skydiving. We'll be jumping tomorrow afternoon.
After a day of rest, on Thursday, we're going to a track that has those really fast gokarts and running those for fun.

Mrs. Zoomzoom and our daughter went to Florida for a couple weeks (they needed go get out as well).
After a day of rest, on Thursday, we're going to a track that has those really fast gokarts and running those for fun.

Have fun and happy landing. I've never had the desire to jump out of a plane or off a mountain but bet its fun for those who do.

Yep, going to jump out of a perfectly good plane. ;)
I "think" we're going up to 13,000 feet before we jump. We'll then free-fall for about 8000' then pull the shoot and drift down for another 5 minutes.

PS my mothers first husband Curtis Hoover was a paratrooper,jumped out over France in WW11 and his shoot didn't open she was a WW11 widow.
Sorry to hear that.

My ex-husband was a skydiver. You could never get me to be one! He ran a skydiving school with a friend of his. He had the parachutes that were used in the movie Point Break. Daughter decided that she wanted to go skydiving and did. I'll tell you more about it after you have your dive. She had lots of photos taken.

If they are still good ones, don't think you just floorboard the gas and just drive around the track.
The first hairpin turn that you go into at WOT, your car will do a 180° spin.
Also, if you lap the slowest car on the track, you get a free additional lap :p.
This can be much more fun than it looks like.:thumbs:

@zoomzoom, I just saw this on a YT video and thought aabout you, Take this with you brave man,

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it…Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold. Faith alone defends. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” . Helen Keller.

OK, we're back from skydiving.
All I can say is WOW, THAT WAS AWESOME!!!
We arrived early and were their first trip for the day. They were ready for us so we got a good jump (pun intended) on things.
Training then strap up. Meet up with the jump masters then load onto the plane.
We were packed like sardines in the plane and it was hot. This was the worst part of the day.
Once the lights came on, the door was opened and things happened fast. My son was the first out, followed by his friend then me. I'd say all 3 of us were gone within a minute.
We jumped from 13,500' with a free-fall for 8000' then chutes open at 5500' for the slow ride down.
Some tumbling as you free-fall then you're in control. You're really hauling ass when free-falling but it wasn't difficult to see (using goggles) and wasn't at all hard to breath.
I could tell when he pulled the cord to open the chute. I was expecting a terrible jolt but it wasn't bad at all.
Once the chute opened, he let me control it for awhile, turning left, right, loops... I did it for a minute then told him I'd prefer he drive so I can just enjoy the experience and view (basically, as a passenger).
The landing was incredibly smooth. He comes down on his feet, me on my butt. It was no harder of a landing than falling off a sled in the snow.

Yes, I'd definitely do it again.

We arrived early and were their first trip for the day. They were ready for us so we got a good jump (pun intended) on things.
We were packed like sardines in the plane and it was hot. This was the worst part of the day.
Once the lights came on, the door was opened and things happened fast. My son was the first out, followed by his friend then me. I'd say all 3 of us were gone within a minute.
We jumped from 13,500' with a free-fall for 8000' then chutes open at 5500' for the slow ride down.
Some tumbling as you free-fall then you're in control. You're really hauling ass when free-falling but it wasn't difficult to see (using goggles) and wasn't at all hard to breath.
I could tell when he pulled the cord to open the chute. I was expecting a terrible jolt but it wasn't bad at all.
Once the chute opened, he let me control it for awhile, turning left, right, loops... I did it for a minute then told him I'd prefer he drive so I can just enjoy the experience and view (basically, as a passenger).
The landing was incredibly smooth. He comes down on his feet, me on my butt. It was no harder of a landing than falling off a sled in the snow.

Glad you enjoyed it and you back on earth with us. :great::thumbs::clapping:

Nice, glad it went well for all. 👍

Here's my son's friend who jumped with us. His jump master had a camera and snapped this just after exiting the plane.
I like it as it shows the jump altitude. In the lower left corner of the pic is the runway. We landed in a field beside the runway.
G0518897.JPG

Here's me, just before landing.
attachment.php
That is awesome!
For all of the cry-babies out there:
In this life, you get a chance to have some fun, and then you can't anymore.
Want to see pictures of me scuba-diving on 'The Great Barrier Reef' in Australia?
Just try to do that today :(. Nearly impossible.
On topic: @zoomzoom : We need pics of the fast go-kart racing.
burnout.gif

Good luck.
I Believe if God wanted me to sky dive, God would have gave me wings.
I agree & would like to see photos.

My son and I aren't the only ones having fun. Mrs. Zoom and my daughter rented jet-skis yesterday and ran them around in the Gulf of Mexico.

We're leaving in an hour to go do the carting.

@Supervisor42 - Speaking of diving, we haven't been to Australia but we've done some diving in Hawaii, Bahamas and Caymans. Here's a pic of my son playing with a stingray in the Caribbean. The whole family did some diving and playing with them but I'm not going to show y'all my ugly mug. ;)
_B200082.JPG

OK, go-carts are hard. Damn hard. Thought I was doing OK but WTHeck, passed by 3, including my son (who won the race).
There's a knowledge and strategy that needs learned IMHO.
My son did it on pure adrenaline and won.
It's not like other things where you're tossed in and do OK (or live).
Pics to follow.

OK, go-carts are hard. Damn hard. Thought I was doing OK but WTHeck, passed by 3, including my son (who won the race)...
You forgot to mention if it was fun or not. We may have to hear from your son... that is, if the huge grin has subsided enough that he can speak :p.

It was definitely fun and my son was gloating all the way home. :)
I was out of the pits first and was spending the first lap or so getting a feel for how the car does and how to treat corners. My son was right behind me coming out of the pits. I guess he got the feel for it faster than I did as he passed me near the end of the first lap.
Each race is about 10 minutes. After one race, I definitely needed a break as it's both physically and mentally demanding.

Here's a video (not mine) of a race on the track and the carts we used. If you watch it from the 30-second mark for about a minute or 2, you'll get an idea.

Latest posts

Back