Going Soapless' Again'

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Anyone here ever not use soap or shampoo for a long period of time ?

I have a couple of times past few years. Last year I did not use any chemicals on my skin for 3 months and had no hygene problems or body odor at all.

It has been a week since I have used any this time. Soap does not kill germs or stop body odor,it just smears whatever is in it on your skin, think about it.

I use a coarse wash rag and scrub like I am using soap.

What do you use on your "dirty" laundry?
I have never tried the soapless, no shampoo, no deodorant route. It's popular.
Soap is awesome. It's a good way to stop the spreading of germs. The anti-bacterial stuff is probably a bad idea and over used.
My friends from Europe told me the French love perfume because they don't bathe enough. Lol

What do you use on your "dirty" laundry?
I have never tried the soapless, no shampoo, no deodorant route. It's popular.
Soap is awesome. It's a good way to stop the spreading of germs. The anti-bacterial stuff is probably a bad idea and over used.
My friends from Europe told me the French love perfume because they don't bathe enough. Lol

Yes I do use detergent on our clothes. Soap doesn't kill germs and unless there some kind of illness going on in the house ' cold or flu' or handling bacteria antibiotic soap is bad to use.

My hair does much better when I just scrub my hair and scalp with water. And my skin does too.
Most soaps are for scent and do nothing for your skin. Now and then maybe once a week I use lemon wedge and epsom salts to scrub with. A high spray shower wand is always good too.
Certain parts are washed every day at least once. And a bedet comes in handy for extra hygene French also use the badat 'spl' .
Try it for a few and ask your family to give your hair a smell.
Deodorant is not good but I do use it if going out for a long period of time otherwise I use baby powder with corn starch. Perfume now and then but not often.
Believe me I am one who can't stand body odor or much less having body odor.
I use olive oil all over my skin too.

Last edited:
I couldn't go soapless. I've tried the no soap, hard scrub with no deodorant and I could smell myself within a few hours. I also had hair then, and my hair got crusty and my scalp itched like crazy after 2 days. I've heard all that stuff about soap being bad but going without isn't an option for me. If I'm ever in a situation where soap isn't an option I'm going to suffer! Lol

I've read it takes days or longer for the body to adapt to less soap etc. I work amongst the civilians. I also detect some horrible smells from unclean humans, just about make ya wanna hurl.
I disagree about soap and germs.
Unclean foods will make a person stink but so will organs not operating properly, which can be from unhealthy eating.
You go ahead. I'll keep on using soap.

I couldn't go soapless. I've tried the no soap, hard scrub with no deodorant and I could smell myself within a few hours. I also had hair then, and my hair got crusty and my scalp itched like crazy after 2 days. I've heard all that stuff about soap being bad but going without isn't an option for me. If I'm ever in a situation where soap isn't an option I'm going to suffer! Lol

I never had any of those symptoms. And hubby would never allow it nor would I.
I went soapless for 3 months and had no problems. But I had to use detergent in clothes, baking soda just din't cut it.
I'll let you know if I start stinking and getting crusty though. Soon as I take a really ' soapy ' bath.:D.

Soap breaks up the oils that allows the bacteria and viruses to stick to your skin so they can be rinsed off.

The dermatologist told me soap actually holds the bacteria in and leaves a film or is drying takes away the skin natural oils and protectant's. But I'm just giving my skin a rest for awhile and will go back to shampoo then soap.
I figure to use shampoo once a week,but I wash my hair every other day with water.

So y'all say this idea 'stinks' huh? Well you may be right after further study it can break your hair. So I may do some adjustments,maybe shampoo at least once a week.

So y'all say this idea 'stinks' huh? Well you may be right after further study it can break your hair. So I may do some adjustments,maybe shampoo at least once a week.

I only shampoo once a week but that's due to allergies. The rest of me definately gets soap though. Home made soap, but its still soap. I do find that my skin doesn't dry out with my soap.

Last edited:
I

I only shampoo once a week but that's due to allergies. The rest of me definately gets soap though. Home made soap, but its still soap. I do find that my skin doesn't dry out with my soap.

Well unless I'm working and sweating most of me ain't getting washed more than twice a week. The rest gets washed everyday .
But so far no shampoo this week and hair is doing, but will use shampoo in next coupel days.

I'm tired of the slicing and dicing on my face and hands with skin caners though. Next month I get to go for more slicing till they get the one on my hand,it already has a nice size hole in it from biopsy a couple weeks ago.
They are too cheap to let the freeze stay long enough to get the pre-cancers. They use to leave it pointing and freezing longer. Now they just hit and half the time miss.
So I'm trying to use as little chemical bars and bottles as possible. Tried the castle soaps.Too much fat in it felt sticky.

That sounds bad, I didn't know you were having to go through that so often. Sorry, Meer. Can you go to a different place?

Thank you Patch but it is not that bad only had 6 surgeries in past 35 years for skin cancers. No Melanoma so far.

Yea and I did but all of them are about the same.

I use soap and shampoo, but quit deodorant about 6 years ago. I went through the detox of deodorant for a few months and then went for 4 years without deodorant. I had to start using it again last year. I hate it but I could tell I needed it. I make my own detergent to wash clothes but somedays they smell musty to me. It may be that I am still adjusting to no perfumes in detergents / soaps/deodorants. I do worry about the poisons I absorb in my skin. I only wash my hair once a month so don't worry about that as much as I use a plain shampoo and very little cream rinse. Use coconut oil for a moisturizer on skin. I am one of those people who does a lot of physical labor and get dirty everyday in spite of my age. Not bragging, but if it needs to be done, it is my job to do it. Husband puts everything off

Soap breaks up the oils that allows the bacteria and viruses to stick to your skin so they can be rinsed off.

:I agree: Soap is a wetting agent. "Wetting agents are substances that reduce the surface tension of water to allow it to spread drops onto a surface, increasing the spreading abilities of a liquid."

I use soap and shampoo, but quit deodorant about 6 years ago. I went through the detox of deodorant for a few months and then went for 4 years without deodorant. I had to start using it again last year. I hate it but I could tell I needed it. I make my own detergent to wash clothes but somedays they smell musty to me. It may be that I am still adjusting to no perfumes in detergents / soaps/deodorants. I do worry about the poisons I absorb in my skin. I only wash my hair once a month so don't worry about that as much as I use a plain shampoo and very little cream rinse. Use coconut oil for a moisturizer on skin. I am one of those people who does a lot of physical labor and get dirty everyday in spite of my age. Not bragging, but if it needs to be done, it is my job to do it. Husband puts everything off

TxCat, have you tried baby powder with corn starch for underarm deodorant? I really like it it smells good plus helps with odor ,but I always brush off excess so it doesn't clog up.

I do make my own laundry detergent and it does have soap in it. As much as we sweat down south working outside, I have to use shampoo or at least some kind of soap on my hair at least 4 times a week. Just depends on how the day goes. If not just like another person mentioned my scalp gets itchy! Most days I am out in the garden, need I say more on that, just keep in mind 30 miles inland from the coast so we have the high humidity. @txcatlady think our husband may be related ;).

I sometimes use castile soap as a shampoo, too, but then I have to do a vinegar rinse. Either rosemary white vinegar or a little apple cider. You can tint cornstarch the color of your hair and put a sock over your brush and brush it through (a little bit, not a ton) and it will take out the oiliness if you don't want to wash your hair all the time. Or if you have white hair, you don't have to tint it at all!

TxCat, have you tried baby powder with corn starch for underarm deodorant? I really like it it smells good plus helps with odor ,but I always brush off excess so it doesn't clog up.
actually I saw that suggestion and tried it today. Not going to get hot today so will have to see. Thanks Meerkat

If you apply a saltwater solution to your underarms it will keep you from smelling. You will still perspire but it won’t stink.

:Thankyou: kd4, never thought of that one.

I did wash my hair yesterday with shampoo. After over a week with plain water though it was still ok and had lots of volume in it, maybe it was the oil,lol. Actually not that oily and really shiney. And natural wave was back in it when using no shampoo.

With my work I need something to cut the grim off, so I would have to use soap at least 3 times a week.
I have went month without deodorant, used salt block.

With my work I need something to cut the grim off, so I would have to use soap at least 3 times a week.
I have went month without deodorant, used salt block.

Well I did take a good salt bath and scrubed myself. Also washed my hair with shampoo. :dancing:

Latest posts

Back