Good morning from Upstate NY

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piebald9

Friend
Neighbor
Hubby Dan and I (Val) are already part way along our journey but looking to start expanding our homesteading goals. The hardest part for us is me trying to being disabled and staying patient about goals and him balancing work life and home chores.

Right now we have chickens and a couple of horses. In the past we have kept rabbits, I have had sheep and worked at varying levels with all manner of farm, and some exotic, animals.

The goal this spring has been building gardens but COVID put us a month behind schedule when we couldn’t get dirt.

We have a lot of ideas and goals To reach and I sought out this forum because I know that having people who get it to talk to about success and failures makes a big difference in staying interested.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of the community

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. Just remember "Baby Steps". Do a little at a time when you can, and keep going in the right direction. Sounds like you have a great start. Try not to get discouraged.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Luckily hubby’s commute is very short. Cascadian, I’m sorry to hear your wife also faces challenges. It’s frustrating when your biggest dream in life is to be a farmer and one’s body disagrees with physical labor.

Morgan101, I agree. It can be hard to keep in mind all of the time though.

My biggest things to start are growing more veggie food, leaning to a future with aquaponics in a heated greenhouse or indoor space we looked at converting; adding a small flock of sheep, I think Finn, three or four ewes and a ram; and also a trio of meat rabbits, silver fox I hope, I just love the breed.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, DW and I have been preppers for many seasons and consider ourselves pretty well prepared, that being said there is always a little voice that rattles in the back of our brain saying, it's not enough. We were fortunate to have done a lot of prepping during better life cycles than is going on now, lately things have been much more expensive, freeze dried and dehydrated foods have in some cases more than doubled in price along with many other "Servival" needs, I say doing something, even though it may seem small, is far better than doing nothing. We realized a long time ago that in doing what we needed to do that we had to practice delayed gratification and sometimes sacrifice. Probably the best thing we have done is to get debt free and the results were amazing, it feels like each dollar we spend now has the buying power of $10 and when we hear people say mortgages are an advantage for taxes, we found that to be a lie. Be encouraged, what you do may seem small, but just by doing something, you will be ahead of the game.

Thanks again to all of you! I can’t wait to learn and grow with all of you... but we just had a little set back in the form of the death of our fridge. Always something but it definitely sets back the financial planning some.

Side note: COVID has led to a fridge shortage so if you need one this fall, now is the time to buy so you actually get it in the fall. We had to spend a sight more than we wanted to to find one that could be here this week.

Onward and upward!

Thanks. The fridge/freezer and across all appliances problem is also that they stopped manufacturing them for a couple of months and imports for parts is screwed up so they are not producing near as many.

We had just started prepping about 8 years ago so bought low ampage fredge and low amp smaller chest freezer,so we can use solar if we eve hook it up. :oops:

If we see a freezer we are going to grab it. Hubby drew tags for deer, elk and something else I forgot. Even if he gets just 1 we have no empty freezer space for it.

Terri cn you can it? Iknow that would be a job, just by us canning 65lb.s one day.It was on sale so we canned it,what a job!But it lasted us for a year and thats giving away some of it,not much though.

Terri cn you can it? Iknow that would be a job, just by us canning 65lb.s one day.It was on sale so we canned it,what a job!But it lasted us for a year and thats giving away some of it,not much though.

Yes but I like "fresh" steaks. Canned meat falls apart and there's nothing like eating a nice juicy steak.... I'm making myself hungry.

Back