Good Movie Suggestions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The musical 1776 is a good movie we have watched many times.

This is a stage production on Youtube.

Ben

Watched this again, we liked it 'twice'.Hocky Player and firgure skater thrown together by badkncks,

Watched this again, we liked it 'twice'.Hocky Player and firgure skater thrown together by badkncks,

1618062594467.png

Tonight, the wife is away, and I'm watching "No Escape." Owen Wilson, Pierce Brosnan: "An American businessman relocates his family to Southeast Asia, but their lives are put in grave danger when they get caught up in a violent political uprising in this nail-biting thriller."

Great movie.

I hate Hollywood movies in which the protagonist is unsure of what must be done in a dire situation. There is usually no question regarding what must be done. There is only the question of whether the individuals in the matter have the fortitude to do what they know (or should know) must be done. Hollywood movies sometimes pretend that moral ambiguity is real...it rarely is. If there is moral ambuiguity in a situation, it is due to one of only two things: either (1) you haven't thought about your personal morality, or (2) you don't have the moral fortitude to live what you know must be.

I like movies and books when normal people (in this case, a First World engineer, taking his First World family to a Third World Nation...and they have to wake up, and face third world....REAL world problems. He steps up. The wife steps up. As it f'ing should be.

Ambiguity is for the first world work place. You should know what is the right thing to do in the American cube farm, but I will forgive you if you don't. But when the **** Hits The Fan, you sure as hell better know what the moral hierarchy is--it should be automatic. The father in this movie knows it, and that is why I liked the movie.

There is another thread here in this forum, about whether we are mentally or psychologically ready for SHTF. I think I am...only because I have a moral compass. That is all you need to be psychologically ready for SHTF. Nothing more. Know what must be done...and then do it.

I recommend the movie.

The movie trailer asks: "How far will you go to protect the ones you love?"...all the frickin' way. [There is a point in this movie when the family asks the father what they are going to do next, and the father starts to say, "I don't know," but the mother steps up and reminds him of their goals. That is why I prep. So I never have to say, "I don't know" to my kids and wife." That is worth the money I "waste" on prepping.]

Last edited:
...and, yes, I probably had a little too much wine tonight.

But hey...I can keep my wealth in the form of green paper...or I can convert it to bottles of tasty wine for a friday night movie.... Cheers, all! 🍷
No apologies required.

Wine was Jesus' first miracle.

Liked your review.

Knowing what one believes and WHY establishes a basis for our instincts and actions.

Good stuff.

Ben

Tonight, the wife is away, and I'm watching "No Escape." Owen Wilson, Pierce Brosnan: "An American businessman relocates his family to Southeast Asia, but their lives are put in grave danger when they get caught up in a violent political uprising in this nail-biting thriller."

Great movie.

I hate Hollywood movies in which the protagonist is unsure of what must be done in a dire situation. There is usually no question regarding what must be done. There is only the question of whether the individuals in the matter have the fortitude to do what they know (or should know) must be done. Hollywood movies sometimes pretend that moral ambiguity is real...it rarely is. If there is moral ambuiguity in a situation, it is due to one of only two things: either (1) you haven't thought about your personal morality, or (2) you don't have the moral fortitude to live what you know must be.

I like movies and books when normal people (in this case, a First World engineer, taking his First World family to a Third World Nation...and they have to wake up, and face third world....REAL world problems. He steps up. The wife steps up. As it f'ing should be.

Ambiguity is for the first world work place. You should know what is the right thing to do in the American cube farm, but I will forgive you if you don't. But when the **** Hits The Fan, you sure as hell better know what the moral hierarchy is--it should be automatic. The father in this movie knows it, and that is why I liked the movie.

There is another thread here in this forum, about whether we are mentally or psychologically ready for SHTF. I think I am...only because I have a moral compass. That is all you need to be psychologically ready for SHTF. Nothing more. Know what must be done...and then do it.

I recommend the movie.

The movie trailer asks: "How far will you go to protect the ones you love?"...all the frickin' way. [There is a point in this movie when the family asks the father what they are going to do next, and the father starts to say, "I don't know," but the mother steps up and reminds him of their goals. That is why I prep. So I never have to say, "I don't know" to my kids and wife." That is worth the money I "waste" on prepping.]

I think I've seen that. If its the one I'm thinking of it was pretty good. We just watched Greenland.

Hmm. I just noticed a theme in the people whose movies I like. For one thing, they're good stories but for the most part they're not what I call SSS movies- stripping, sweating and swearing. I use sweating as a descriptive adjective for activities I don't want to watch. ;)
Maybe I have posted about this before??? But, I use CommonSenseMedia.org to figure out which movies are worth watching.

There is usually a scene or two in every old movie that has no place being there...and you might be watching a movie with the kids that you remember being great, but you slowly start to realize...uh oh...I forgot about the useless sweating scene coming up that does not advance the storyline but was put in to earn an R rating. Commonsensemedia does a great job of letting you know what is in the movie without ruining the storyline.

Maybe I have posted about this before??? But, I use CommonSenseMedia.org to figure out which movies are worth watching.

There is usually a scene or two in every old movie that has no place being there...and you might be watching a movie with the kids that you remember being great, but you slowly start to realize...uh oh...I forgot about the useless sweating scene coming up that does not advance the storyline but was put in to earn an R rating. Commonsensemedia does a great job of letting you know what is in the movie without ruining the storyline.
Yup

The girls just aren't ready for "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Has anyone mentioned "Cannery Row" yet?

Ben

Latest posts

Back