Good Movie Suggestions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The man who shot Liberty Valance

Searchers

The Shootist

Rio Bravo

Mcclintock

The Alamo

Sons of Katie Elder

Jim

We have already watched those a few times since can't take most of what they call movies today. All good movies. I like history. I watch youtube history or read about it.Its harder to read now so I watch what I can.

Reactions: Neb
This is coming out soon,since we just watched the first one ,will watch this one too. I think if it isn't too repulsive,lol.

We have been watching old movies for years now so at times youtube has a
true story now and then we like ok. I like true stories and comedy.

I Want To Live ,
Spartagus,
Where The Boys Are,
Gypsy, Natalie Wood, true story of Gypsy Rose Lee
Thunder Road

I watched a repeat of "Guardian" today. Can view some info @ The Guardian (2006) - IMDb

A high school swim champion with a troubled past enrolls in the U.S. Coast Guard's "A" School, where legendary rescue swimmer Ben Randall teaches him some hard lessons about loss, love, and self-sacrifice.

Reminded me of doing water rescues here on the Great Lake and various smaller ones near me. Not to the extremes shown in the movie but similar.

I watched a repeat of "Guardian" today. Can view some info @ The Guardian (2006) - IMDb

Reminded me of doing water rescues here on the Great Lake and various smaller ones near me. Not to the extremes shown in the movie but similar.

:thumbs: one of the most interesting part in the true story of 'The Perfect Storm'was the coast guard rescues in that terrible storm. The book as usual lot more in detail and better than the movie. One of them lost his life in a heli trying to rescue some on a boat. A true story.

Watched old movie tonight, Cry Freedom. Denzel Wasgington and Kevin Klein were so young. Didn't like the ending though seemed like the story was cut too soon.
More proof we just take turns warring with each other.:dunno:

Angie. I too loved Second Hand Lions. I watch it every time it is on. A couple of Clint Eastwood's more recent are very good: Grand Torino and Trouble with the Curve I really enjoyed.

Denzel Washington's The Equalizer, and Marl Wahlberg's Shooter are also favorites. I like the intrigue, and I love it when the bad guy gets it in the end. These last two are a little more violent, but I do seem to like the revenge theme. The remake of the Magnificent Seven I would put in this genre.

There are two good documentaries about life in Minnesota:
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Yup, those are funny as all heck.

I was just flicking thru the menu and found one called Take Shelter that looked like a prepper type movie. The trailer looked good so we watched it. It was dumb. The guy bought a shipping container to make a storm shelter. He barely stocks the shelter with anything except a small cart of canned goods. He swept the floor and put in a hard bench (no cot, blankets, radio, etc.) in there, but had an oxygen tank and mask for his daughter and Israli gas masks for him and his wife. I still can't figure that out....WTH??? The shelter was (at least) vented. All this for a storm that he could 'feel'coming. Basically the dude was 'mental' (and apparently an idiot) is the message I got from the whole thing. I didn't sit and watch continuously.....I was doing household chores like laundry and dishes while it was on b/c it was boring and pretty much sucked. It was a huge missed opportunity for a good movie, but they completely blew it. What a waste......

Hildago and Second Hand Lions are both good and clean and not just chick flicks or guy flicks.
And one that might sound odd, but is actually funny is "Much ado about Nothing'" (Shakespeare). There is a version with Kenneth Branagh, Denzel Washington, Emma Thompson, & Keanu Reeves that was good.

Hildago and Second Hand Lions are both good and clean and not just chick flicks or guy flicks.
And one that might sound odd, but is actually funny is "Much ado about Nothing'" (Shakespeare). There is a version with Kenneth Branagh, Denzel Washington, Emma Thompson, & Keanu Reeves that was good.
Ditto that!

We have watched it multiple times. One of my favorites. Tried to get the granddaughters interested... Fail.

Emma Thompson did a wonderful job.

Michael Keaton as the idiot guard was great comic relief.

For those that have not immersed themselves in Shakespeare... turn on the subtitles. They talk fast with an accent and use archaic phrases. It gets better each time I watched it.

Trivia
Shakespeare wrote histories, Comedies, and Tragedies.

Histories are what they are.
Comedies everyone gets married.
Tragedies everyone dies.

Ben

Ditto that!

We have watched it multiple times. One of my favorites. Tried to get the granddaughters interested... Fail.

Emma Thompson did a wonderful job.

Michael Keaton as the idiot guard was great comic relief.

For those that have not immersed themselves in Shakespeare... turn on the subtitles. They talk fast with an accent and use archaic phrases. It gets better each time I watched it.

Trivia
Shakespeare wrote histories, Comedies, and Tragedies.

Histories are what they are.
Comedies everyone gets married.
Tragedies everyone dies.

Ben
I love the line(s) "You said you were never going to get married." "Well, that was before I wanted to get married." That shouldn't be in quotes because it's not verbatim but it is close. I love real humor.

Somebody mentioned the remake of Magnificent Seven. That's a great one. I would add 13 Hours to the list. Training Day is good. If you want to be creeped out but don't want a cheesy horror flick, "Seven" with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman will do the trick. The first two Terminator movies are outstanding. The Abyss is another great one. And for something out of left field, try The Highlander. One of Sean Connery's most underrated roles.

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the classics: Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur. Maybe we have seen them so many times we forget about them. They are still great movies.

Yup, those are funny as all heck.

I was just flicking thru the menu and found one called Take Shelter that looked like a prepper type movie. The trailer looked good so we watched it. It was dumb. The guy bought a shipping container to make a storm shelter. He barely stocks the shelter with anything except a small cart of canned goods. He swept the floor and put in a hard bench (no cot, blankets, radio, etc.) in there, but had an oxygen tank and mask for his daughter and Israli gas masks for him and his wife. I still can't figure that out....WTH??? The shelter was (at least) vented. All this for a storm that he could 'feel'coming. Basically the dude was 'mental' (and apparently an idiot) is the message I got from the whole thing. I didn't sit and watch continuously.....I was doing household chores like laundry and dishes while it was on b/c it was boring and pretty much sucked. It was a huge missed opportunity for a good movie, but they completely blew it. What a waste......
Yeah, I think I remember seeing that movie. Didn't he bury the shipping container in the front yard and all the neighbors thought he was crazy?

IMHO, the best TEOTWAWKI movie is not a movie at all: "Jericho".

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned the classics: Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur. Maybe we have seen them so many times we forget about them. They are still great movies.
I introduced my eldest granddaughter to the Wizard of Oz at a young age. I quized her asking which of her friends apoeared first in the movie. She said the lion. I started the movie to show her what do you know the MGM lion proved her corrct.

We purchased the remastered version were the graphics were improved. They had a special challenge with Dorthy's ruby slippers. The software wanted to remove the shoes because they were so red they only showed up on the red film.

In the scene where they find the tin man, there is an emu walking around in the background.

You can stop any time now Ben.

Ben

For those who like guns...

All three of the John Wick movies showcase Keanu Reeves showing off perfect form with firearms. His weapon handling skills, including safety, are impeccable. To train for the role they made him shoot 3 gun competition, and he became good enough to be a national level competitor. Halle Berry is in the sequel and she had to take 3 gun training too. There are videos of them on YouTube shooting on a course.

The movies are extremely violent though, so if you're not into that, you might want to skip them...

A good, although fiction movie about America and its important dwindling resource, water and farm land. We gave up fighting here to protect the worlds largest concentration of natiral springs from the powers that be who are selling it off to foreign nations like Swiztlerlandm China.

Latest posts

Back