Good Movie Suggestions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know this is a very individual topic, but hubs and I just got access to (pretty much) unlimited movies and TV series. We are wayyyyyy overwhelmed since we aren't typically movie watchers. We like funny stuff; hubs is more into the slapstick comedy like Naked Gun and Police Academy stuff. He liked Ted too, as we don't care about bad language if it's actually funny.

I like comedy too, but I prefer adventure and intrigue type stuff too. I definitely would rather go to stuff that I know like Twister, Back to the Future, Footloose, Top Gun, etc. But.....what kind of movies are in these types of genere that would be good? I guess we're looking for really GOOD wholesome comedies, adventure, or mystery type of stuff with a good story.......no matter the year. We don't mind the bad language or (rather innoent) sex if it serves a purpose to the story. At this point, we are just overwhelmed with the choices in front of us. We have gone from pretty much nothing to....anything you would want to watch.:eek: I like Sci Fi.....he does not. I see a LOT of gory crap on the menu.....neither of us are interested in that. He likes slap stick.....I just like funny, although slapstick is fine. A good mystery type of film is good with us both.

We also like films like Secondhand Lions (that I heard about in this forum) where it tells a cute story. We prefer films like this, even though it is G rated.....fine with us. We're not really into animated stuff even though we liked Toy Story and Madigascar.

I wouldn't typically ask for help in picking out movies, but it seems this group would have the same interests as we do. I know it's hard to recommend, not knowing what we have seen and not seen. Still, I think this could be interesting to talk about.

Give me your movie recommendations!

In no particular order or genre sort:
---

Tremors
Galaxy Quest
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Blast from the Past
The Breakfast Club
Ghost
The Ghost and the Darkness
Les Visiteurs (French, with subtitles)
The Martian
There's Something about Mary
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
National Treasure
No Escape
The Parent Trap (both the original and the remake)
Zombieland
Shaun of the Dead
Shrek
Christmas Vacation
The Village
The Italian Job
We're the Millers
Zorro the Gay Blade
Airplane
Animal House
The Birdcage
Coming to America
Crocodile Dundee
Dante's Peak
The Dirty Dozen
Hot Chick
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Romancing the Stone
Jaws
Meet the Parents
Miss Congeniality
The Naked Gun
Oceans Eleven
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Uncle Buck
The Naked Gun
The Princess Bride
Rambo
Red Dawn
The Rock
Shanghai Noon
Six Days, Seven Nights
Star Trek IV
Stripes
Support Your Local Sheriff
Twister
Warm Bodies
The Way Back
Young Frankenstein
Starship Troopers

Dave
Cars
Finding Nemo
Fury
Groundhog Day
Back to the Future
Toy Story
Jumanji (the original)
Men in Black
The Mummy
Quigley Down Under
Saving Private Ryan
Splash
The Terminator
Predator
Vacation (the original)
The Abyss
Blazing Saddles
The Bridge on the River Kwai
True Lies
Silverstreak
Shallow Hal
Sixteen Candles
Stripes

Halaluah Trail
Paint your Wagon
Everything by Mel Brooks

Ditto some of the previous

Ben

This Gem is little-known, but.. Very-well done (imo) and Quite 'prescient': "Sneakers" - Robert Redford, and a Great cast of others... 😎 and +1 for many of Hertig's suggestions (Raiders-series, etc..)

..and, if yer 'feeling more Serious / introspective', some of my All Time Favs:

- Braveheart
- Dances With Wolves
- A River Runs Thru It
- Mad Max (1 & 2)
- The Untouchables
- Also +1 for Blade Runner (.."...All those moments.. lost in time... like... tears in rain. " Just So good. :cool:
- True Grit (2010 version, but not 'knocking' the JW-version..)
- Several of the Tarantino flicks (Ya, violent / bloody, but.. Artsy, and Well-done, ie: 'Inglorious Basterds', what a riot, and Melanié Laurent's performance always floors me.. :cool:

..I'm sure I'll think of more later when these 4 shots of Tequila calm down.. :ghostly:

jd

Last edited:
Thanks all! There's some good suggestions in there that I will look in to. What's nice is that I can watch the movie trailer first before deciding on whether or not to watch.

He won't watch Sci Fi. He's never seen Star Wars and has no intention on watching it. I know....I know. Some people, huh? LOL! I think the most SciFi thing he's seen is Ghost Busters.

We really liked Night at the Museum. I also like stuff like Beverly HIlls Cop and Coming to America that is funny with a decent feel good story behind it. Something mindless that you can just sit and have a few cocktails and chill out with.....nothing too dark like Braveheart or Mad Max. :ghostly:

We just recently watched Gran Torino and liked that one too.

Last edited:
Just about any Kurt Russell movie. I haven't seen everything on this list but I've seen most of them. I'd start with Tombstone and Big Trouble in Little China then work my way through the rest.
Kurt Russell Movies - IMDb

About the only current tv series I watch are Blacklist and the original NCIS - both excellent. Years ago the One Tree Hill tv series was running but I never watched it until recently and it's a really good show. I was surprised by it.

Just about any Kurt Russell movie. I haven't seen everything on this list but I've seen most of them. I'd start with Tombstone and Big Trouble in Little China then work my way through the rest.
Kurt Russell Movies - IMDb

About the only current tv series I watch are Blacklist and the original NCIS - both excellent. Years ago the One Tree Hill tv series was running but I never watched it until recently and it's a really good show. I was surprised by it.
Yeah, I like Kurt too. My favorite is Overboard! I also like Goldie.....Private Benjamin was a hoot. I don't think I've seen Tombstone, so I'll have to check that out. I've seen Big Trouble in Little China but I'm not sure hubs would like it. A few weeks ago we watched Deepwater Horizon, which was good but a little too heavy for a mindless flick with cocktails.

The Patriot would be at the top of the list for me. I like movies with some grounding in reality/based on a true story etc.

Kill the Irishman ( I own one of the classic cars in that film, 73 Mercury Comet under the bay window).
1615045919446.jpeg

The Blind Side
Lincoln
Free State of Jones

Thanks all! There's some good suggestions in there that I will look in to. What's nice is that I can watch the movie trailer first before deciding on whether or not to watch.

He won't watch Sci Fi. He's never seen Star Wars and has no intention on watching it. I know....I know. Some people, huh? LOL! I think the most SciFi thing he's seen is Ghost Busters.

We really liked Night at the Museum. I also like stuff like Beverly HIlls Cop and Coming to America that is funny with a decent feel good story behind it. Something mindless that you can just sit and have a few cocktails and chill out with.....nothing too dark like Braveheart or Mad Max. :ghostly:

We just recently watched Gran Torino and liked that one too.
Coming to America 2 came out yesterday, March 5. I have yet to watch it, but it is on my list.

The Patriot would be at the top of the list for me. I like movies with some grounding in reality/based on a true story etc.

Kill the Irishman ( I own one of the classic cars in that film, 73 Mercury Comet under the bay window).
View attachment 60462

The Blind Side
Lincoln
Free State of Jones
Loved the Patriot! I learned some American history watching it.

There are a few people whose movies I know I'm probably going to like. Kevin Costner is another one going all the way back to Silverado (a great movie!) where he was outstanding in a small role and looked about 15.
Kevin Costner - IMDb

Also very much liked all of the Jesse Stone movies with Tom Selleck.
Jesse Stone chronological order - IMDb
Kevin Costner is an interesting man. Relative to Dances With Wolves, he has a big interest in Native Americans and South Dakota. He owned a business in The Black Hills, Deadwood, called The Lodge. Someone that my aunt and uncle knew was commissioned to do a statue or display in front of the business of a horse (maybe). They decided to travel a few hundred miles and to go see the work. Aunt has bad knees and uncle dropped her off in front of the business and went to park the car. Aunt was walking slowly to go in and someone asked if he could give her a hand. She looked up and it was Kevin Costner, offering to give her a hand. Chivalry is not dead!

Hmm. I just noticed a theme in the people whose movies I like. For one thing, they're good stories but for the most part they're not what I call SSS movies- stripping, sweating and swearing. I use sweating as a descriptive adjective for activities I don't want to watch. ;)

Hmm. I just noticed a theme in the people whose movies I like. For one thing, they're good stories but for the most part they're not what I call SSS movies- stripping, sweating and swearing. I use sweating as a descriptive adjective for activities I don't want to watch. ;)
Reminds me why I don't like modern horror flix. They use the recipe

Titillating scene then jump scare.

I find YouTube machining videos more exciting. Will the cutter break? Will the tap get stuck? Will it fit properly?

Ben

Reminds me why I don't like modern horror flix. They use the recipe

Titillating scene then jump scare.
I remember watching some of these with my daughter. What was the one about the overstimulated teenagers trying to get it on near a lake, but they kept getting murdered by some weirdo in a hockey mask before they could manage to get things consummated? A horrible movie. Really horrible. But we had loads of fun watching it "Mystery Science Theater" style - nonstop cracking jokes at it's badness all the way through. We had tears of laughter rolling down our faces throughout the movie.

Haertig, I think you just described every Friday the 13th movie ever made. I watched the first and second one when I was younger and it scared the crap outta me. I lost a lot of sleep over those. I watched them at a friends house b/c my parents wouldn't allow that kind of stuff in the house. My dad was completely PO'd at me when he found out I watched Delirious with Eddie Murphy. That was considered some raunchy stuff back in the day. I remember back then we weren't allowed to watch Porkys or Fast Times at Ridgemont High either.

Todays scary movies are just....awful. I have to wonder where the people who make these movies come up with their ideas. I really don't want to know. Some of it is just plain EVIL. I'm just not interested in it at all and don't understand how people can be entertained by that. To each their own, I guess. But, I prefer a good story over any type of shock value. I watch Walking Dead on TV, but that's about as far as I go in the gore category these days.

It seems to me that most of the movies I really enjoy (or that I thought were excellent), were movies done several years ago. Top Gun, A Few Good Men, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Twister, Beverly Hills Cop.....all of those are among my top favorites and all of them were made a long time ago.

my top 5 favorite movies,

1938 'The Great Waltz' true story of Johann Strauss
ShawShank Redemption,
The Sting
The Rare Breed
Vacation movies.

New movies

Still Mine,last one we watched,

Did anyone mention "The Burbs?" It is hilarious.

Actually, anything with Tom Hanks is good, IMHO.
The Burbs
Saving Private Ryan
Big
Forest Gump
News of the World
Castaway
Green Mile
Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Splash
Apollo 13
The MOney Pit
A League of Their Own
Sully

I am looking forward to seeing his new movie, "Greyhound," which is about WW2 Naval battles.

I dislike modern American movies ( there has not been a movie I would have liked in probably 10 years or more), so my suggestion is watch something from another country with subtitles on Netflix or whatever you have access too. My favorites are Bollywood movies and K Dramas, but there are movies and tv shows from other countries I like also.
It depends on what type of stuff you like too, I like soap operas, murder mysteries, some fantasy stuff, crimes stuff , some horror.
Here is some Bollywood movies I like that are on Netflix
Namaste London
Jab we met
Bodyguard
Chalte Chalte

Some K dramas I like
Black
Iris
Crash Landing on you
K 2

Back