Good News for My Clan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Well, stress has diminished greatly.

My brothers trial has concluded with a very justified NOT GUILTY verdict :)!!!

I really couldn't talk about it much until the trial concluded but the gist of it was it was a bad shoot by law enforcement. My brother fortunately lived through the event although still has a bullet lodged in his head and will always have less muscle mass in his legs as he was shot once in each of them. Of course the law tried to cover for themselves to avoid egg on their face by concocting a story about my brother pointing his rifle at them and charging him with 2 counts of aggravated assault on a police officer.

Their "version" of events was very easily disproved in a definitive fashion. Prosecution spent 3.5 days presenting their case defense took 2.5 hours and we got a quick verdict. Cost a ton of money though. Good thing my brother is rather successful in business. No wonder gov is so successful in strong arming less financially capable individuals into pleas they should never have to plea to.

I'm generally pretty pro law and order. My brother can say the same. This whole situation (4 years long) has really been an eye opener. I think most people would be shocked at what the court considers a jury of our peers. Keep that in mind if you ever get in a jam with the law. From the actions of the over zealous yahoo's that shot my brother, how the case was handled, the media spin, the butt covering and outright lies, the vindictive prosecution even without a case the whole experience has left me really shaken with my faith in law enforcement and the system that supports them.

Not saying there arent great people in law enforcement. I still think the vast majority of law enforcement officers are great folks trying to do a really difficult job for very little compensation for what they go through. However, watching the blue line circle around bad apples that made a series of really dumb decisions that almost resulted in the death of my brother and caused a ton of heartache, financial loss, and extensive life long medical concerns was disheartening to say the least.

It was great driving back into his neighborhood after court. The neighbors were out cheering giving us thumbs up and honking their car horns. When the verdict was read I thought our whole family was going to faint. We of course had all been there for the entire trial. Even the bailiffs were smiling when the verdict was read.

Well, a great weight has lifted today and I think I might actually sleep soundly for the first time this week so off I go. Thanks for reading and sharing in my and my family's vast relief :). I hope no one ever has to go through something similar.

Thanks for all the kind words. I really didn't want to come off as anti law enforcement. I think the law enforcement community does themselves a disservice by circling the wagons around more questionable actions by the minority of bad apples within their ranks. I know I would respond very positively to admitted mistakes and appropriate justice being applied to all. I don't expect perfection in a profession made up of people. We are all prone to moments of bad judgement and mistakes. In my opinion, our society would be much more appreciative of honesty and that it would go a long way to improving relationships between us and law enforcement. After all, we should all be on the same team. It's a shame that instances like my family had to go through make it seem otherwise.

I really don't blame the cops too much. One of them was a rookie whose last job was working at Dunkin Doughnuts. If you are gonna hire people like that you have to put in the time to properly train them. It also gives you the opportunity to weed out bad apples. Being a police officer is a very serious profession. It really requires smart, honorable people with emotional maturity and good decision making skills. To attract that kind of individual we need to make it worth their while and then provide comprehensive training that helps us weed out those that maybe should consider a different profession. A lot easier said than done. I know. But, these people are armed and ultimately given authorization for deadly force in our society towards our people. I think its important. An organization is only as good as the people in it.

To be fair, these were (smallish) city cops. I'm sure there are portions of law enforcement that tend to draw more capable individuals than others. I certainly hope so at least. The reform in attitude really needs to happen at the prosecutor's office and other portions of the support arm for law enforcement. Somehow we have changed from "we are here to protect and serve the public" to " we are here to protect and serve our officers". At least that's the impression this whole situation has given me and that is sad.

To end I would like to extend a sincere thank you to the honorable leo's that do a difficult job with very little thanks or support. The ones that spend their lives actually protecting and serving in a fair manner displaying good judgement and dedication to the law of the land our Constitution. Which, even after all this, I believe to be the majority. All the bad apples with a badge and a gun can go straight to hell along with any that circle the wagons around them just because of their uniform.

Thanks for all the kind words. I really didn't want to come off as anti law enforcement. I think the law enforcement community does themselves a disservice by circling the wagons around more questionable actions by the minority of bad apples within their ranks. I know I would respond very positively to admitted mistakes and appropriate justice being applied to all. I don't expect perfection in a profession made up of people. We are all prone to moments of bad judgement and mistakes. In my opinion, our society would be much more appreciative of honesty and that it would go a long way to improving relationships between us and law enforcement. After all, we should all be on the same team. It's a shame that instances like my family had to go through make it seem otherwise.

I really don't blame the cops too much. One of them was a rookie whose last job was working at Dunkin Doughnuts. If you are gonna hire people like that you have to put in the time to properly train them. It also gives you the opportunity to weed out bad apples. Being a police officer is a very serious profession. It really requires smart, honorable people with emotional maturity and good decision making skills. To attract that kind of individual we need to make it worth their while and then provide comprehensive training that helps us weed out those that maybe should consider a different profession. A lot easier said than done. I know. But, these people are armed and ultimately given authorization for deadly force in our society towards our people. I think its important. An organization is only as good as the people in it.

To be fair, these were (smallish) city cops. I'm sure there are portions of law enforcement that tend to draw more capable individuals than others. I certainly hope so at least. The reform in attitude really needs to happen at the prosecutor's office and other portions of the support arm for law enforcement. Somehow we have changed from "we are here to protect and serve the public" to " we are here to protect and serve our officers". At least that's the impression this whole situation has given me and that is sad.

To end I would like to extend a sincere thank you to the honorable leo's that do a difficult job with very little thanks or support. The ones that spend their lives actually protecting and serving in a fair manner displaying good judgement and dedication to the law of the land our Constitution. Which, even after all this, I believe to be the majority. All the bad apples with a badge and a gun can go straight to hell along with any that circle the wagons around them just because of their uniform.

I believe that most LEO's are good people, but they are human. A man who had been the only LEO in my hometown is in prison for life for shooting his wife and trying to say it was an accident. B.S. In the process, he was having an affair with a lawyer, and she has now been disbarred because of her involvement and the other stuff related. He was known for bullying attractive teenage girls and doing things such as handcuffing them to a signpost and then mocking them. He is where he deserves to be. On the other hand, I have a cousin who is a state trooper, whom I think the world of. He is a great guy, and no way a bully nor trigger happy.

I always try to get to know the LEOs in my area. I am always under suspicion for doing that at first but they soon learn that I just need to know who they are.
Law enforcement tends to pull in people who want to serve but they are taught to lie for a living. They have to lie to get people to tell them things that lead them to wrong doing.
When you lie all the time you learn not to trust anyone.You tend to forget that most people, like most cops, are good. When all your best friends are doing the same thing you are you tend to defend them against outsiders. That is why so many cops burn out so soon. The ones that stay are either very devoted or power mongers. I like finding the devoted ones and give them an opportunity to know me.

I'm very pleased that your brother got through this finally. I hope he is able to recover all his costs plus a bunch for pain and suffering, plus a ton more for penalties to help prevent this from happening to others in your area.

My family includes cops, probation, judges, corrections, pretty much the full gambit of the legal professions. I can tell you that they are just people and as such they make mistakes like everyone else and, like everyone else, they don't want to pay for their mistakes.

Speaking as someone who has gone thru the meatgrinder that masquerades as our "Justus" system once you have entered the system thru arrest and had to spend many bucks to defend the truth dem Po-lice are not your friend. Granted my situation was not as serious as CBL's brothers but it still brings up raw memories.

Glad your brother was not acquitted. LEO’s have a necessary role but they are not your friends. It is best to be polite but understand the relationship is always adversarial even when you are innocent

Latest posts

Back