Good things happening (positivity thread)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If we have a thread about rants and raves, we should have a thread about the good things we saw, experienced or are happening all around us.
thumbup.gif

Last night my younger children got to meet their new nanny (who is deaf). It went very well and they all hit it off. We had a very nice visit and she laid out all of her plans while asking questions to clarify our expectations. I think she is going to be a really good fit. Even the dogs liked her. Plus she seems to thoroughly understand my expectations for OPSEC.

Then a short time later my son came home from work. He has a few different part time jobs, one of which is running the gas grill for a Mexican restaurant. He was giddy because he got an $80 tip from a party of 4 apparently very picky people who said they enjoyed the best fajitas they had every had. That's almost double what he makes working a 3 hour shift.

Any of you know American Sign Language?

We all learned to "finger spell" and some of the very basics of ASL over the last few months. Our nanny has a cochlear implant and is extremely adept in reading lips.

I was in a Starbucks years ago and a woman came in that I knew.
She is blind,deaf and can't speak.
I wondered how she would order.
Just then a Barista came over to her, took her hand and did sign language on the palm of the woman's hand.
Just like Helen Keller.
It was a very moving thing to see.
I was really impressed but I also wondered how did these 2 women ever connect.
The blind woman would travel every day to work on the ferry, then walk from there to the hospital through downtown Seattle.

I was in a Starbucks years ago and a woman came in that I knew.
She is blind,deaf and can't speak.
I wondered how she would order.
Just then a Barista came over to her, took her hand and did sign language on the palm of the woman's hand.
Just like Helen Keller.
It was a very moving thing to see.
I was really impressed but I also wondered how did these 2 women ever connect.
The blind woman would travel every day to work on the ferry, then walk from there to the hospital through downtown Seattle.
A person like that would have to be born without the fears that I was born with, or taught by my older brother. I can only feel afraid for her, but evidently she had to have been raised by parents who taught her courage, in spite of her limitations.

Good things? How about shooting AAA class in 22 silhouette and winning the match?! It was a little windy but I had a very good shoot and got offered my entrance fee back for coming in first. I told them to keep it as a donation. I am becoming a better off-hand shooter and it is great exercise for my back. To top it off my son was shooting with me and two close friends were there as well. On of my friends gave me a box of berger 168 grain 30 caliber bullets and 200 large rifle match primers. when I asked what he wanted for them he answered as he always does, "I thought I was going to use them but I changed my mind and can't use them. Just use them well." We have become good friends and I know the money means nothing to him but I don't need him to pay for my friendship. Maybe he understands that and that's why we are friends.

Good things? How about shooting AAA class in 22 silhouette and winning the match?! It was a little windy but I had a very good shoot and got offered my entrance fee back for coming in first. I told them to keep it as a donation. I am becoming a better off-hand shooter and it is great exercise for my back. To top it off my son was shooting with me and two close friends were there as well. On of my friends gave me a box of berger 168 grain 30 caliber bullets and 200 large rifle match primers. when I asked what he wanted for them he answered as he always does, "I thought I was going to use them but I changed my mind and can't use them. Just use them well." We have become good friends and I know the money means nothing to him but I don't need him to pay for my friendship. Maybe he understands that and that's why we are friends.

Congratulations!

First date night with my wife in a very long time. Got her a new pretty dress. And went to the annual ladies night at the lodge.
Bagpipes, Scottish country dancing, kilts, toast to the Haggis, bad buffet food, cold beer, more dancing...
No idea what we were doing but was the first time in a long time we had that much fun with just us.

Wish I could upload a video

Jim,

I am interested in this glue they put in your wife's thoracic vertebrae. I have a crushed L-5 vertebrae in my lumbar and L-4 &5 need monthly adjustments. When I L-4 &5 get out of line, I can barely walk. I finally found a chiropractor that set my L-4&5 and my T-9 this last week. He would like to do weekly sessions but I found out years ago that if they stay in place for a month, I am happy. Why grease a wheel if it don't squeek? Is this an injection she receives and if so how often? My GP doesn't believe in chiropractors and won't give me a referral for one so I have out of pocket expense instead of a co-pay on my insurance. Can you give me a website to check or somewhere I can do some research on this? Plus is this a costly method?

Tommy

Amen to your signature!

Jim,

I am interested in this glue they put in your wife's thoracic vertebrae. I have a crushed L-5 vertebrae in my lumbar and L-4 &5 need monthly adjustments. When I L-4 &5 get out of line, I can barely walk. I finally found a chiropractor that set my L-4&5 and my T-9 this last week. He would like to do weekly sessions but I found out years ago that if they stay in place for a month, I am happy. Why grease a wheel if it don't squeek? Is this an injection she receives and if so how often? My GP doesn't believe in chiropractors and won't give me a referral for one so I have out of pocket expense instead of a co-pay on my insurance. Can you give me a website to check or somewhere I can do some research on this? Plus is this a costly method?

Tommy
Me too! Me too! I'd love to get off this pain medication.

So yesterday I came home from work with a notice from the state that I would not be receiving a salary increase for FY2019. The 6th or 7th time I have received such a notice from the state. When I got home I told my wife only to find out she received a notice too. Only she once again surpassed all of her division's performance expectations and once again they went off the charts and gave her a 7.5% salary increase (praise Jesus). They are also moving her into a bigger nicer office and are increasing her staff. I figure by 2020 she will officially make more than double what I make. Which does not bother me one little bit, I like having a sugar mama. She's taking me out to dinner this weekend to celebrate.
thumbup.gif

Congrats to Mrs Sentry18!

Thank you, but I am starting to think our financial situation is screwing up our teenage son however. He announced to me today that since his girlfriend (who is becoming such a fixture that she is in most of our family photos) is starting college next fall to be a Nurse Anesthetist he might just go to tech school and do something "fun for a living".

I told my boys from about age 8 that when they were 18 they had three choices:
1. Go to college, get loans, get a job and I will help with expenses a little bit.
2. Go in the military
3. Get a job, live here and pay rent or go on your own.

I have 2 sons, 1 is a senior at University of Tennessee, holds 2 jobs and rarely asks for money. The youngest is 18 and in the Navy. I see those as a win.

Hello everyone and at last count over the last 2 days we have had 21.4mm of glorious rain which has filled up our rain water tanks again and watered the vegetable gardens :D and we hope it keeps going to quench the really dry ground here. It is also gloriously cool so much so that in the middle of summer we have the fire going and are in trackies and a jumper.

Good news: might not have to move.
Where I work people intentionally pay it forward at least once a day by leaving their change in the copiers and printers. Definitely not a thing where I came from.

I would love for it to rain since we've been having wildfires.
Sewingcreations15@ what are trackies and jumper? lol

@Patchouli hope you get much needed rain there to dampen down the parched earth and stop the bushfires in your area. It has been extremely dry in most areas including Australia. Most of our grass looks the colour of hay and our vegetables have been splitting or been burnt by the fierce heat here. The main thing is to clean out your gutters and get rid of any underbrush or long grass around your property to minimise the fire hazards.

Pass on our congratulations to Mrs Sentry @Sentry18 on her pay rise and wonderful job performance :D .

Thank you. She told me that she found the secret of success in the work place; be positive at all times and as you get your work done always focus on the big picture of the company.

Latest posts

Back