Good things happening (positivity thread)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son, who is going to tech school, was awarded a $3,000 scholarship for being #2 in his program at the end of the school year. But since his school is 100% covered by his original scholarship, he will receive the money directly this fall. He has already told us that he will be putting it into his retirement fund.

Congrats to young Sentry! What a great achievement!

Thank you. The funny part is the the student who came in 1st & 3rd are both also full ride scholarship students who will also be his co-workers once they graduate.

You've probably said before, but what trade is he working toward?

Precision machining and electronic systems maintenance (robotics).

He has a bright future. Maching and robotics is getting huge. Is he doing programming or the robots and PLC's as well? That would be a good side bit.

He is taking several programming courses. He will be working as a machinist in a brand new factory, so 70% of what he will be doing is programming the machines that cut the metal and the other 30% is keeping them up and running. The factory builds specific parts & pieces for dozens of different military vehicles that drive, float, fly, and explode.

Doubtful he will ever have to look very long for work if he ever decides to live there. Programming is a lot easier on your body as well, so long term is much better.
My congrats to him.

Thanks. He has always been a good kid, hard working and focused. He has made us proud. Took me awhile to convince him not to be a 4th generation cop. Glad he found his way to something better.

While the world may be on fire, and a lot of people are hurting for different reasons, I am living a blessed life. In part because of grace and in part because I choose not to let things get me down. I can't think of anything more positive than that.

I hope things are going well for all of you too. 😎

Last edited:
Doubtful he will ever have to look very long for work if he ever decides to live there. Programming is a lot easier on your body as well, so long term is much better.
My congrats to him.
You are correct! Jobs will be hunting him o_O.
Everybody worries that robots (programmed computer controlled hardware) will take all the jobs.
Wrong!
Somebody has to keep them all running.
There is, and will always be, a great shortage of people that can make them work.
Tell him to prepare to become "A Wanted Man".
I never had less than 3 companies waiting in the wings hoping my employer would tick me off.
No union was ever needed.
Every benefit and bonus you could think of, was always sitting on the table.
My employers kept me happy.
Knowledge is power.

New AC unit and etc will be put in tomorrow. Woohoo.
The sun will set later, most likely. That's really good news.
A friend keeps a very good upbeat perspective and that has helped me keep the gremlins away.

Is it hot where you live? A good AC unit can make a someone a whole lot happier! I know it did for me.

New AC unit and etc will be put in tomorrow. Woohoo.
The sun will set later, most likely. That's really good news.
A friend keeps a very good upbeat perspective and that has helped me keep the gremlins away.
Outstanding investment!
What you are buying is peace of mind.
When the 25 year old system here began losing gas because the indoor core was corroded, I told the folks here that both the inside and outside units needed to go away.
What we needed, as retired people, was peace of mind.
We pooled our money and hello SEER 16!
A new digital thermostat so the girls can't fight slinging the lever back and forth is worth it's weight in gold!
The system works flawless! Best money we have spent! Peace be with you.
(oh, 95.7F outside here. Inside=PERFECT!)

Last edited:
We were home owners long time...since 1989. A couple few years ago and a string of unfortunate events led us to renting. Our last house we had to have a new HVAC system put in. Worked great!
I'd like to live where the summer isn't a write-off!! And I think that will be my next move.

Nah, it's only 93, feels like 97.
We're managing with ceiling fans, floor fans and a window AC unit. So we're doing ok. The other central air system needed to be replaced. Finally getting it done. (It wasn't up to me).

YUCK! I turn my AC on if it's going to climb up near 80 degrees. I thrive in winter and just survive in summer. I hate the heat.

Wuss!
I do fine most of the time. I find shoveling snow to be more of a workout than I like but the temperature doesn't seem to bother me.

Wuss!
I do fine most of the time. I find shoveling snow to be more of a workout than I like but the temperature doesn't seem to bother me.

If the good Lord wanted me to bake in the sun, he would have planted me near the equator or he would have made me a chicken.

I love shoveling snow. I love snow. I love winter.

YUCK! I turn my AC on if it's going to climb up near 80 degrees. I thrive in winter and just survive in summer. I hate the heat.

THIS RIGHT HERE
We turn the ac on usually in early srping, sometimes ac in the morning heat at night. Summer is kept to about the same as it is in winter. I don't sleep if it gets too hot Winter all the shade go up and heat turned down. solar gain keeps the house in good shape most of the winter, just run the heat at night.

We are blessed as well. Both our jobs have kept on going. I'm actually covered up right now. To the point its hard to figure out the next move to make. But still gettin a check every month. I've stayed busy in the garden trying to maximize it for everything I have planted. Gives me time to clear my mind and focus on the good stuff.

The Lord is taking care of us. We just have to trust in him, listen, and react as need be.

Last edited:
I'm expecting my son at at any moment. Will be my wife and I's first. Excitement is high in the household.

My group of like minded friends has taken great strides in the right direction.

My preps food and ammo wise (while never enough) are where they need to be (minus baby formula until I can figure out what the little guy wants to eat).

Vehicles are squared away.

Job is being productive.

House is squared away although land its on and self sufficiency is still in very early progress.

All family is healthy and on good terms.

I have much to be thankful for.

I'm expecting my son at at any moment. Will be my wife and I's first. Excitement is high in the household.

I will say a prayer for a healthy and happy little one and family.

Have to brag a bit. My 12 year old had a short dance recital this afternoon for family only (thanks to COVID-19) since they were not able to have their large spring recital. She won "dancer of the year" for her age bracket and received a nice crystal ballerina trophy with a black marble base. She also received a bouquet of roses from the dance coach for having the best performance of the recital. This is her 5th year in a row where she brought a trophy home. She dances ballet, tap, and jazz and she takes it very seriously. She even runs cross country just to improve her endurance for dance.

Yea! We have a sort of rule that our kids can't get their driver's license until they graduate high school. (There's no insurance premium if your kid just has his permit but as soon as they get their license, our insurance goes way up).

Well, he graduated over a month ago but the DMV has been shut down due to COVID. The DMV's online system was closed for making road test appointments until last Saturday. We had a family member on that site clicking refresh starting at midnight so we could be one of the first that gets an appointment. Well, I guess we were darn near first as he had his appointment at 9:00 this morning.

The DMV road test people aren't allowed to get in your car because of COVID. So they had him do a lap of a parking lot using cones as his road test directions. He passed that with flying colors. For the parallel parking, you don't even need to get within a foot of the curb anymore. Just park it in the box where they have lines on the ground and cones simulating other vehicles. No problem there.

Super happy he got his license so now he can work and he's set to commute to college in August.

This is thread is not long enough, y'all!! C'mon now.
Offspring and I went out for a bite. Server approached us when we were waiting for the bill, said the gentleman sitting over there (who was gone already of course), had paid our complete bill. That's why I love Texas, so many gentlemen. That's not the first time.
I think it was the guy with a big white cowboy hat.

Because of the whole Covid my work is doing temporary layoffs on some Fridays but because of the government unemployment support I still get paid and get a day off.
I have been able to get many projects done and still Blessed to have a job and paycheck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back