Good things happening (positivity thread)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a pickup with a hi-lo camper parked along the road near work. It has a broken windshield, at least one of the camper windows is missing, camper doesn’t go all the way up on one side, etc. From what we’ve seen, there is a couple with a dog who are living in it. There is no garbage and we haven’t seen any smoking or signs of other “stuff.” Tomorrow I will be leaving a bag of fruit and small bag of dog food on their door. (Please don’t let me forget.)
Remember!!

Jim

I guess this would be the place to post this. My brother shared this with me from Buzz Feed: People Are Sharing The Moment They Realized They Were Old And IDK Whether to Laugh or Cry .

Some of the responses were hysterical. My first indication was when my kids were studying things in History that I would have considered Current Events; like the Viet Nam War. Two others of note. I was working with a young guy who asked (as serious as a heart attack) "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

This is a true story from my wife who was teaching Kindergarten at the time. She was putting a 33 LP record on the record player. One of the boys in the class said "That is the biggest CD I have ever seen in my life."

What was your first indication you were getting old? Did you laugh or cry?

I guess this would be the place to post this. My brother shared this with me from Buzz Feed: People Are Sharing The Moment They Realized They Were Old And IDK Whether to Laugh or Cry .

Some of the responses were hysterical. My first indication was when my kids were studying things in History that I would have considered Current Events; like the Viet Nam War. Two others of note. I was working with a young guy who asked (as serious as a heart attack) "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

This is a true story from my wife who was teaching Kindergarten at the time. She was putting a 33 LP record on the record player. One of the boys in the class said "That is the biggest CD I have ever seen in my life."

When a very young soldier was helping me up of the ground after an training explosion.
He told me "Sgt" you don't bounce good any more.
He was right, I don't bounce good no more.
I put my retirement papers in that day.
They sat on my Battalion commanders desk for 6 months until after I got injury from a TDY assignment.
I laughed at first.
After I got hurt, I cried a lot.
Some days I still cry.

When the music I listened to in HS is played on the "classic rock" station ~ laughed I guess (sang along :))

Last edited:
So there's plenty of negative going on, and when that happens, I try to counter it sooo . . . .
A few weeks ago, I stopped at a yard sale. There was a stack of letters dating from 1919-1943 with a name I thought might be a variation of a family name so I got them. I did read them as I was interested from an historical aspect. Most were from L first to her eventual husband while they were "courting." The later ones to their son at the onset of WWII when he moved to a farm to seek deferral from the draft. I didn't figure L. to be alive so looked up the son's name (E.) He passed in the late 90's so I looked up his younger sister who died in her 30's in a car accident. So I went back and read E's obits. which listed a wife B. I looked up B and found she had passed away less than a week before I purchased the letters at the yard sale. Her obits didn't list "survived by" but did list the funeral parlor that was handling the arrangements. I called the funeral parlor and explained to the nice gal what I had, if there was any family I would give them to them (where they belong.) I had kinda forgotten about it but got a call one day last week from Don who is the son of E and B (grandson of L.) I made arrangements and delivered the letters. They didn't even know they existed so were very curious. I did find out that it is a variation of our family name - there were 5 brothers who got in a fight so all spelled their names differently. Anyways, reading them was an interesting snapshot into the past and returning them to their family was extremely rewarding for both sides.

When we bought our farm five years ago, my cousin and our daughter and I put on hazmat outfits and went to clean out the attic. We hauled out old mattresses and lots of garbage. Then there were boxes of stuff. Two boxes of the Schrock Family memories. Mostly from the 1920's to 1950's. Couldn't imagine why they were left here. Cute valentines, check ledgers, bills, a graduation diploma, report cards. Rufus Schrock was the original builder of our house and barn in 1908 and many Schrocks lived here. A few years ago I was here at the farm for the heritage days festivities and many reunions are held during that time, our families included. A lady came up to me at quilt auction, said she was a Schrock that lived at our place when she was a little girl. Asked if she can bring family by for a look see. A bunch of cars pulled up that afternoon and people were running around the house and outbuildings, telling stories and having a great time. I pulled out those two boxes and gave them to the family. They were having a reunion supper that evening, and were so excited to see their oldest living Schrock's graduation diploma (from 8th grade) ha. She was tickled pink.

When we bought our farm five years ago, my cousin and our daughter and I put on hazmat outfits and went to clean out the attic. We hauled out old mattresses and lots of garbage. Then there were boxes of stuff. Two boxes of the Schrock Family memories. Mostly from the 1920's to 1950's. Couldn't imagine why they were left here. Cute valentines, check ledgers, bills, a graduation diploma, report cards. Rufus Schrock was the original builder of our house and barn in 1908 and many Schrocks lived here. A few years ago I was here at the farm for the heritage days festivities and many reunions are held during that time, our families included. A lady came up to me at quilt auction, said she was a Schrock that lived at our place when she was a little girl. Asked if she can bring family by for a look see. A bunch of cars pulled up that afternoon and people were running around the house and outbuildings, telling stories and having a great time. I pulled out those two boxes and gave them to the family. They were having a reunion supper that evening, and were so excited to see their oldest living Schrock's graduation diploma (from 8th grade) ha. She was tickled pink.

Sweet story Weedy. They turned our old hom place into a subdivision back in the early 1960s.My brother went back to visit 50 yr.s later and owner of the home found one of his old toy truck while planting flowers and gave it to my brother.

Thought I'd put this here. We traveled through 3 states this past weekend, and there were "help wanted" and "now hiring" signs all along the way. Also, in businesses, there were signs asking for patience since they were so short staffed. So I decided, if I go into a store or call a business, I am thanking them for working. I had to go buy Hubby some jeans today & there was a new gal in training and a gal training her. I thanked them for working. They looked at me a little funny so told them I was thanking working folks - they both loved it, and thanked me for shopping there.

Thought I'd put this here. We traveled through 3 states this past weekend, and there were "help wanted" and "now hiring" signs all along the way. Also, in businesses, there were signs asking for patience since they were so short staffed. So I decided, if I go into a store or call a business, I am thanking them for working. I had to go buy Hubby some jeans today & there was a new gal in training and a gal training her. I thanked them for working. They looked at me a little funny so told them I was thanking working folks - they both loved it, and thanked me for shopping there.
Great idea! I always thank cashier's. When one feels appreciated it gets passed along to others!

I'll take a picture of her when we get home, if it's not pouring.
IMG_20210926_142331784_HDR.jpg

Daughter is going to change jobs after working for her present company for years.
She will be making $100K more per year and have the title of VP at the other company.:oops:

Guess where I'm gonna live when I get real old?:D
She took an IQ test recently and scored 137.
(ok, so she's my stepdaughter. I helped raise her).:)

Last edited:
Back