Got 1925 (93 years)# 150 pd anvil

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Has some letters on it, can not make out the words.
Wondering how to remove rust without eating out the print.

the print:
Below weight is words/ letters "PARC" "LOSL"
On the other side is "SONEUSONS" "???VENON".
Do you know anything about this anvil or a link to someone who could.
Thank you for your time.

"Wondering how to remove rust without eating out the print."

Only 2 ways to remove rust - mechanically or chemically. Naval Jelly is the go-to rust remover. Available at any hardware store. Or wire brush it.

My son found an anvil under a collapsed tool shed a few years ago it was in perfect condition it was a Hay Budden 133lb farm anvil made in the very early 1900s . There are websites that list the id characteristics on old anvil the old ones are collector items. Oh BTW I have it now.

Only 2 ways to remove rust - mechanically or chemically. Naval Jelly is the go-to rust remover. Available at any hardware store. Or wire brush it.
There is another way but I'm guessing it's not cheap or readily available.

Never heard of Naval Jelly, will look it up.
I have looked at a few website, good find on the anvil in shed.
Laser out of my range, but thanks for the input.
TBob, I have been chasing this anvil for 3 years & they sold it to me this month($400.00 / 150 =2.666 per pound, but It 94 years old & owned by one family).
I may be able to post a photo, but the thread is on how to remove rust, not prove I have an anvil & that it is rusty.
I have used steel wire brush on on projects.
Someone said brass wire brush may be safer.
I have used Vinegar also, but I do not want to damage the print.
Will let you know how everything comes out.

I used to use Ospho as a rust remover. I believe there are probably better products today but Ospho works and can be used as a primer also.

My short 4 hour job on a StarKist Tuna ship changing out brake shoes on the winch we used WD40 to loosen the gigantic bolts. Maybe rub it down with some and then use brush.
Only thing I know about them is us kids were told we could tear one up. Mama, ' you kids could tear up a steel anvil '.

Check around with some of the body shops and local car guys, Soda blasting may be another option that might work...……...if it will work on a cars sheet metal it should do the trick on the anvil

Latest posts

Back