Got Our First Egg

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Yesterday our oldest pullet turned into a hen. We got our first egg from Lucy, Black Stars and RI Red should start in about a month now.
Lucy thinks she is human though. she got spoiled after all her family was massecred by the snake. She keeps coming in through the doggie door on the porch [ pushes right thru the screen ] and wanting to jump in my lap! A few days ago she scratched my hands all up! :ghostly:She was trying to jump on my arm and shoulder like she did when she was a chick. So I cleaned the wounds. Only a couple bleeding scratches so all has healed now. I'd get one leg off and she'd grab onto me with the other leg.

Now that she is laying maybe she will realize she is a chicken and I am not .:)

We spoiled Lucy by holding her up against my chest to settle her down and sh would go nuts when we put her back into her pen where the others died plus she was totally alone. So I let her come on the screened in porch with us. And she would jump up on the table and cuddle next to me.

Now that she is laying she still wants to come up here so we closed them all in the pen till she gets use to being a chicken. Its a big pen and we have two pens so we can change them back and forth. It is SO HUMID here we have to watch it doesn't get dirty even though the pens are completely covered with metal roofing it still gets damp in them. Both pens are secured very well and 16X16 so big enough for our 6 hens.

Congratulations on the first egg!

She was terrorized by the snake. Did the chicken yard get reinforced to keep snakes out?

Oh yes after losing the first 3 a grizzly couldn't get into those pens. He may tear em up but he would be wrapped in so much netting and fencing he would not go far.
Cost a few hundred bucks and more cuts from dealing with wire and netting but it will last our lifetime so it is done now, covered whole top and bottom of floor plus sides.

Rhodies! Used to be one of the two laying chicken breeds in my area, along with Plymouth Rocks. My friend (he lived on Dingleton Hill BTW) had a flock of free range Rhodies, including a Rascally Rhodie Rooster.

Latest posts

Back