Got SPAM?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This appeared in another thread a few weeks ago... Was re-reading this one tonight. This is where spam belongs!

For clarification... I even despise the words pumpkin spice! So no, would never eat this.

Spam pumpkin.jpg

This appeared in another thread a few weeks ago... Was re-reading this one tonight. This is where spam belongs!

For clarification... I even despise the words pumpkin spice! So no, would never eat this.

View attachment 27791
I agree with you.
Why in the world is pumpkin spice anything such a big deal? Pumpkin belongs in 1 thing and that needs a lot of whipped cream on top. :confused:

Spam, no! Not just no but Heck NO!
Pumpkin Spice for pumpkin, butter nut squash, sweet potatoes and snack wafers (cookies). No whipped cream on mine please.

My body took a beating the last 72hrs... You know it's bad when it hurts just to sit!

Woke up at 1pm, to tired to cook anything... So, it's spreadable spam on crackers with chow chow over the top! Actually tasty and the chow chow has enough cayenne to wake me up!

Spam spread va.jpg

My body took a beating the last 72hrs... You know it's bad when it hurts just to sit!

Woke up at 1pm, to tired to cook anything... So, it's spreadable spam on crackers with chow chow over the top! Actually tasty and the chow chow has enough cayenne to wake me up!

View attachment 27829
Chow chow is something I have never understood. What is it? What is it made from? How does one eat it?

TheOldFarmersWife has a video from the SPAM Museum.

My cousin was a bigwig with Hormel. Like, reported directly to the CEO kind of bigwig. She would bring us all things related to SPAM - shirts, kitchen decorations, golf club covers, cookbooks, you name it and she could get it. And people love it! I never saw the point - why would you even have a SPAM museum - but people love it.

I'll eat it, but I'd rather eat real ham...

I have eaten it, but it was a long time ago. The memory must not be very good. If it was something I liked I would have eaten it since. I know a lot of preppers swear by it. My guess is because of its long shelf life. My question here is can you disguise it? If you mix it with other things like hamburger or beef stew can it be used to stretch things? Will that mask the taste or will the taste of the SPAM dominate the rest of the dish and ruin it?

I think we even had a thread here about how you could stretch recipes to feed more people. Maybe you can do that with SPAM.

I have eaten it, but it was a long time ago. The memory must not be very good. If it was something I liked I would have eaten it since. I know a lot of preppers swear by it. My guess is because of its long shelf life. My question here is can you disguise it? If you mix it with other things like hamburger or beef stew can it be used to stretch things? Will that mask the taste or will the taste of the SPAM dominate the rest of the dish and ruin it?

I think we even had a thread here about how you could stretch recipes to feed more people. Maybe you can do that with SPAM.
It works with breakfast and that's about it, as far as I'm concerned. SPAM and eggs ain't that bad. But only once in a great while...

And Yes, I got Spam, many varieties except "lite", Hickory or Turkey. You can catch a catfish and run a trotline with it, and snack on whats left while you wait. Avoid the hickory smoked, it sucks, and under NO conditions try the "turkey" spam.

I'm totally allergic to something in spam, unless it's grilled well done it goes right through me.
I do like the taste unfortunately.
I do happen to know its great catfish bait! Raccoons will kill each other for it too.

Growing up a child of parents who survived the Great Depression and then World War Two, I ate quite a bit of Spam as a kid.
Ate it as a soldier for three years.
I love it today. Wife grew up an Air Force brat, so she ate it too, and hates it.
I don’t get fancy, just take the top off the can, slide out the slab enough to cut off some thick slices, slide it back into the can, cover it with Saran Wrap and refrigerate.
Take the thick slices, slap them on white bread, and chow down. Nothing extra added to distract from the time honored flavor.

Mmmm! I wish I had some right now!!!!

Growing up a child of parents who survived the Great Depression and then World War Two, I ate quite a bit of Spam as a kid.
Ate it as a soldier for three years.
I love it today. Wife grew up an Air Force brat, so she ate it too, and hates it.
I don’t get fancy, just take the top off the can, slide out the slab enough to cut off some thick slices, slide it back into the can, cover it with Saran Wrap and refrigerate.
Take the thick slices, slap them on white bread, and chow down. Nothing extra added to distract from the time honored flavor.

Mmmm! I wish I had some right now!!!!

Get Fancy :). There is a thread on Ramen Noodles :brewing:

4 thick slices, 1/4 of the can each. Grilled/Fryed, when done a thick slice of Velvetta cheeze on each slice of spam. When completed, onto two slices of toast. Leftovers into a ziplock bag, ready for your next culinary adventure.

https://www.spam.com/recipes/toasted-spam-and-cheese-sandwiches

Last edited:
Think canned Polish ham with the gristle left in flavor wise.
Can't eat that stuff either, darn allergy.

I usually slice it up into strips about 3/16 thick and fry it in a pan. Occasionally I will then dice that fried spam and cook it into scrambled eggs as you might with diced ham. I occasionally had spam fried rice, diced spam fried with rice and other usual ingredients, but I never made that but ate it when invited to family dinner at sort of family's house. Actually, the spam fried rice was pretty good and I would make it if others around were interested, but that hasn't happened yet.

I usually slice it up into strips about 3/16 thick and fry it in a pan. Occasionally I will then dice that fried spam and cook it into scrambled eggs as you might with diced ham. I occasionally had spam fried rice, diced spam fried with rice and other usual ingredients, but I never made that but ate it when invited to family dinner at sort of family's house. Actually, the spam fried rice was pretty good and I would make it if others around were interested, but that hasn't happened yet.
This is the way. When I make spam and eggs, I cut into 1/4" thick slices and heat it in the pan just like you would a ham steak.

I'm also known to get a canned ham from Aldi's and do the same. Canned ham and spam are more or less the same, but Aldi's canned ham is cheaper per ounce.

Latest posts

Back