Government High Tunnel?? Is it worth it??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
With the crazy weather we've had this summer, I am seriously considering whether I should be growing at least part of our stuff in a high tunnel or two or three. I had thought I might like to sell some but didn't have enough to sell this year. I do have a space for a considerably larger garden area that could be used for one or two high tunnels and maybe some open garden space, too.

With that said, there is a government program, I think it's part of the soil conservation thing, where they supposedly will help to pay for a high tunnel on your property, if you qualify. I haven't tried, at least not yet.

I'm a little skeptical. I'm not sure what is required or whether you basically have to sign your life over to Uncle and have his guys poking around any old time, being a pain about who knows what, or even complicating the tax returns. I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I've seen some high tunnels online, both new and used, that really weren't super expensive. But still, it's hard to get one going for someone who's budget is a little tight.

So I wondered if any of you may have already been down this road. Good thing? Or another way for Uncle to nose his way into my business and try to run it all, making my life a living... purgatory? It almost seems a little too good to be true. But I figured I might just ask.

Thanks for any insights!

Why not make your own with recycled products. Look at some pictures online and then find stuff to make them. Unless you're talking of commercial growing then you'd have to decide if you want your every move watched by the gov or do you want to spend the money to built a commercial sized one

https://bonnieplants.com/library/make-a-row-cover-hoop-house/

I'm definitely thinking of something bigger than what is shown in the bonnieplants link, probably more like a commercial sized one, or multiple smaller ones. I have a friend who has a half dozen or so that are maybe 16' x 40' and he likes having multiple shorter length hoophouses as opposed to one really big one. He has neat operation. (I think he did the government thing and encouraged others to do so, but he's of a little different mindset to government than I am. I'm still reluctant to get too close.)

I'm definitely not opposed to building something myself. And it may come down to that. I've seen numerous pretty nice setups on YouTube that I could do, some not terribly expensive.

The thing that really got me thinking about this seriously was the last week. It rained for a week, didn't even see the sun. 6-1/4 inches here but other locals seem to have had even more. Uugh!! So much I wanted to do in the garden and the rain and thunderstorms just kept me out. Tomatoes, I think my favorite crop of all time, were a real challenge here, even for master gardeners. Lots of disease related to too much moisture. It's been frustrating.

Not everything has done poorly. And it's not over. I do have a nice stand of fall peas that are just starting to blossom. And now that I've been able to attack the bugs (sun just came back out today), the broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and even a fall planting of Roma bush beans may have a little hope of making some good eats. :)

Anyway, didn't mean to get long winded. Thanks for the thoughts!

Are you in the north? Well I don't guess that was much help but I thought there was something in the article about assistance from gov't about hoop houses.
Keep digging.

Oops... sorry about that. I never said where I was. I'm on the Tennessee Cumberland Plateau. It's about 2000 ft in elevation, I believe it's zone 6b. It's too far north to be "south" and too far south to be "north". LOL!! We definitely have winter but it's not as severe as many northern locations. Snow isn't uncommon but more than just a few inches of it at a time is unusual. Summer temps are usually 5 to 10 degrees cooler here than they would be heading east to Knoxville or west to Nashville.

I suppose I was more concerned about "making a deal with the Devil (that I can't get out of, or strings that could attach even after the fact)" more so than the actual cost of putting up a greenhouse. Eventually, government program or no, I'll put up a hoophouse or greenhouse of some kind. That's been my plan for a while. It's a big carrot being dangled out there, though, one that suggest a much easier and cheaper way to get started.

PopPopT I will be following this thread. I am wanting to put up a hoop house or two as well. The extended seasons is very appealing to me. Your a little ways from us and further north, plus we are just under 1000' elevation here so we get that extra 5-10 degrees. I'd love to trade that away.

There is a YouTube channel I watch called Arms Family homestead.
He lives in OK so it might be different for you.
He has a high tunnel that was built under some kind of government program.
I do seem to remember him saying there are some restriction.
If you message him he will probably tell you about it.
Here's a link to one of his videos.

This guy taught us so much like hydroponics and all kinds of gardening tips. He is so talented and easy to learn from.

Hope this helps PopPop.

@PopPopT

I'd be leary of anything the gov has to offer. They always want back something in return, but do check into it cause it may be ok.

Latest posts

Back