Gravad Lax

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tortminder

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Gravlax is cured (but not smoked) salmon, except there's not a lot of salt in the cure and some combination of dill, lemon, and alcohol (often vodka, but sometimes gin in newer preparations). Gravlax was traditionally buried,'Grav,' as in grave in the ground. So, it's common to put some weight on it, like putting it under a heavy pan in the fridge, while it's curing (often for two days or more) to help the cure penetrate the fish's flesh.

Recipe:
1-1 1/2lb center cut salmon filet, (skin on)
You can get a decent piece of salmon at Walmart for a good price. Get the fresh, never frozem.
1/4 Cup sugar, (White is usually used, brown sugar can be substitured for a deeper flavor)
3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt (do NOT usr iodized table salt)
1 Tablespoon crushed perrercorns
1 large bunch of dill, (about 5 oz.)
light sprinkle of vodka, (gin may be used, again for a different flavor profile)

1.Place salmon on a parchment paper-lined work surface. Remove any remaining bones. Wipe salmon with a damp cloth, being careful not to tear fish
2. In a medium bowl, combine salt, sugar, and peppercorns. Select a shallow dish big enough to hold one fillet; place one-third of the dill in the bottom. Rub one-half of the salt mixture into skin of fish. Place salmon fillet, skin-side down, on top of dill. Rub balance of the salt mixture into flesh of fish, and top with remaining dill.
3. Wrap dish tightly in plastic wrap. Place a small board or baking dish on top, and weight it down. Refrigerate for at least 48 hours and up to 72 hours.
4.Scrape off seasonings; discard. Slice salmon on the bias, and serve with bagels, cream cheese, tomato slices, sliced red onion, and fresh dill sprigs for a garnish.
000000000lox plate 002 1-1-18.jpg
000000000lox plate 002 1-1-18.jpg 000000000lox-cured 1-1-18.jpg 000000000lox plate 002 1-1-18.jpg 000000000Lox plate closeup 1-1-18.jpg 000000000lox-cured 1-1-18.jpg

Attachments

• 00000000Gravadlax ingredients.jpg
    00000000Gravadlax ingredients.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 5
I hate dill, really hate dill. Will it affect it negatively, taste wise, if I don't use it or use something else?

robin416: I have a great love for dill... dilled pickles, dill with fish, etc and have never made the recipe with any other herb. Having said that, I would imagine you could substitute fennel tops for the dill and get an interesting flavor. Other pickling spices such as mustard seeds, (or possibly a fine chiffonade of mustard greens), rosemary or lemon basil might work.

I also dislike fennel. I'm not picky, right?

But the lemon/pepper idea is workable. So is rosemary.

Thanks.

I love smoked salmon! Ill give this a try!
Just a quick reminder Hasbrown, this salmon is not smoked... I imagine that you could smoke it but you would probably want to modify the dry cure by omitting the dill and adding Cayanne, ginger or possibly star anise.

Just a quick reminder Hasbrown, this salmon is not smoked... I imagine that you could smoke it but you would probably want to modify the dry cure by omitting the dill and adding Cayanne, ginger or possibly star anise.

Yes I understand its not smoked just saying I like smoked salmon. I always sugar cure before smoking anyway. Can't wait to give your cured salmon a try.

Latest posts

Back