Gravel Root

Discussion in 'Natural Remedies' started by Peanut, Aug 7, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 7, 2019 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Gravel Root

In the herbal medicine world there are several plants that fall under the category “gravel root”. They have many similar properties.

That said, there is only one plant called gravel root aka Joe Pye Weed aka Eupatorium purpureum. It’s native to the eastern half of north America. It’s also easy to find. It grows 6 to 9ft tall, not like its hiding among weeds somewhere, you can’t miss it. It likes smaller flowing streams and creeks, usually up on the bank 10 to 20 ft from the water. It doesn’t like boggy/swampy ground. The root is harvested in early August when the plant is in bloom. It can be dried or made into tincture. The bloom is purplish to pink to white. The leaves are in a whorl (usually 5 or 6) around the stalk.

Its claim to fame is the fact it can dissolve Kidney Stones, it has a long documented history. It has sometimes been useful in dissolving Gaul Stones. This is a handy plant to know anytime, especially in a shtf situation. The resultant infections from a gaul or kidney stone can easily kill an other wise healthy person.

I have knowledge of this plant working in real life… years ago in south bama a 10yold boy check into an ER with a kidney stone. It was to large to pass, they were going to have to surgically remove the stone. The young ER doctor knew a friend of mine, one of the best young herbalist in our country.

My friend brought some gravel root tincture to the ER. He mixed it with tea and fed the boy small sips over the next 4 hours. They monitored the progress with ultrasound images. I’ve seen the print outs.

Over the next 4 hours the kidney stone shrank until it just vanished… The kid was on his way home with a tootsie pop before midnight.

Joe Pye treats a host of renal issues, urinary tract issues even sexual issues. It is by no means a one trick pony.

Another plant with similar properties is found as a lawn shrub throughout much of the south… Hydrangea, it has a wild cousin… oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia). It is similar to Joe Pye but also different.

The most prolific herbal writer of our time is a man named Matthew Wood. He will tell you all you want to know about Joe Pye and the other gravel roots.

I took these photo’s a few weeks ago but haven’t been able to make this post.

Joe Pye (1)_v1.jpg Joe Pye (2)_v1.jpg Joe Pye (3)_v1.jpg Joe Pye 02.jpg Joe Pye.jpg

Patchouli, Terri9630, Meerkat and 3 others like this.