Green House Gardening

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be getting started on out first greenhouse this week. It will be a 10x12 wood frame greenhouse with greenhouse film for glazing, at least for this year. I will probably upgrade to poly-carbonate over the next several years. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your greenhouse.

I've wanted one myself. My biggest problem are the trees. We would have to take down a lot of trees to be able to utilize one and not have limbs crushing it.

I've wanted one myself. My biggest problem are the trees. We would have to take down a lot of trees to be able to utilize one and not have limbs crushing it.

We had to take down a lot of trees too. And now we need to take down some that have grown up to block the sun since we first put it up.

I will be getting started on out first greenhouse this week. It will be a 10x12 wood frame greenhouse with greenhouse film for glazing, at least for this year. I will probably upgrade to poly-carbonate over the next several years. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your greenhouse.

Thank you. IMO after studying and dealing with gh for past 15 yr.s that carbonate will turn milky after a few years as will the poly film. But the film is a lot less expensive to replace every 4 yr.s.
We ordered more film a couple years ago and when I can I'll find out where we got it fro the best price.
We want to go glass but that probably won't happen. With all the storms here so far ' 4 hurricanes'
The poly has stood up. So maybe the glass will too.

I will put up pic soon as I can take time to figure out how again. We are so busy now and hubby is still gettign over flu.

We grew these in GH a couple years ago.
DLUyWq6.jpg

Toms we grew in GH couple yr.s ago.
Right now we are having trouble keeping it warm so need to bit the bullet on proper heating .

Those are some great looking tomatoes.

My big push for getting a greenhouse built to start seedlings. Our Winters here in North Texas a pretty mild so I am hoping two layers of greenhouse film, one inside the 2x4 frame and one outside will hold enough heat through the nights for the seedlings. The back half of the greenhouse will hold several aquaponic grow beds, hopefully their will be enough water and thermal mass to help regulate the heat through the cold nights.

Those are some great looking tomatoes.

My big push for getting a greenhouse built to start seedlings. Our Winters here in North Texas a pretty mild so I am hoping two layers of greenhouse film, one inside the 2x4 frame and one outside will hold enough heat through the nights for the seedlings. The back half of the greenhouse will hold several aquaponic grow beds, hopefully their will be enough water and thermal mass to help regulate the heat through the cold nights.

Bnorth, also that extra layer will hold back on condensation and keep the GH less wet inside. Try to keep a inch or two pocket of air between the layers of ploy so air can circulate.

Well the ladder part is over!:woo hoo:. I am not good on ladders anymore, period .:eek:
I hope I don't ever have to climb another one, it ain't worth the risk. I get dizzy now where I never did before. :oops:

Anyway hubby is fastening it down and the whole GH is now covered with first layer. My rock idea will be used this time, instead of ladder. Barbed wire made ladder nessasary. We use it to hold up plants, barbs are perfectly spaced and hold up great. Got this idea from an African Tribe. Very good idea.

Well maybe not,have to put up second layer tomorrow.

1TPo6kB.jpg

Q7pYIOd.jpg

Last edited:
So far so good. Greenhouse is now staying between 60 and 73F. Hope the freeze doesn't knock out the power. Lots of trees to fall on power lines on these dirt roads.

Tomatoes have blooms all over them and time to pick and cook collards today.

Pictures o nthe way.

A few minutes ago took these. It is wet, misty and cold today, no sun to help heat it up.

Tomatoes with blooms all over them hope we keep the heat.

raNyePd.jpg

Collards and squash in soilless reservoir. Just experimenting, collads dod better in ground or containers in soil.

0YThcGp.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive to say the least! You and the hubby should be very proud, you guys have built a great setup and produce with it wonderfully. Do you seed save at all?

Thank you Red :Thankyou:, yes most of these seeds are saved from our other plants. It has been alot of work for us two old people but most of it is done now.:lil guy:.
About 3 years ago we had lemon, orange, and bluberries galore in the GHouse. Meyer Lemons size of oranges and Valencia Oranges size of grapefruits. Something about letting them keep growing I guess. Walk into greenhouse and smell the sweet smell of citrus trees.:heart:.

Raised beds full of okra and tomatoes, but we just quit from while. Got rid of hens and did other things.

Did work in greenhouse today, took down 2 reservoirs and transplanted plants into soil containers. Now most plants are in soil except fro 6 tomato plants in hydro buckets.
First tomato came up today. Got a couple more squash and blueberries are doing good. Cooked up all the collards we had in there and had brocoli we picked yesterday for supper.

What kind of heater did you put in Meercat?

It is a King garage heater, 220 and so far it is great. It comes on at 60 and cuts off at 73. I wanted wood burner but never could find one that didn't consist for us of too much work, dealing with plastic it can be done but after all the work of adding new poly we just went electric.

Latest posts

Back