Green House Gardening

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you live Meercat? Do you have hard winters?

Yes we can get as low as low teens at times a few years ago it was 13 F . But that can change quick here. We went down to 23F a few weeks ago and this past 10 days into the 70s and 80s usual never have heat waves like this. Tuesday will be 84 which is VERY unusual for this time of year.

Tonight will be in the 50s so will need low heat.

I am keeping my eyes open for free windows and especially sliding glass doors. The doors will be my walls and provide ventilation in the summer. Large windows can be used as a roof.

Temperature is the most important so plan for that or suffer the consequences like we have,lol. If you have wood that would be what I'd do. Maybe next year fro us.

This is what we wanted but winter came early and we got caught. Of course go by scale and use your own ideas too.

Last edited:
Our first head of cabbage , cut it off the stalk this afternoon, made cole slaw it was great. Home grown no bitter after taste like store bought. Picture is light but cabbage was dark green in color .

diMeUWA.jpg

I would really like to put up a green house.
I am going to start some plants in the shop under a light so I can get a jump on my garden.
I'm also going to plant flowers for my wife to use in her hanging baskets.
She spends a crazy amount of money every year on hanging baskets and the flowers that go in them.
Last year she had around 10 baskets and some of them cost $30 and a couple were $50 each.
I may buy a small cheap green house just to try out.

I am going to start some plants in the shop under a light so I can get a jump on my garden.
She spends a crazy amount of money every year on hanging baskets and the flowers that go in them.
Last year she had around 10 baskets and some of them cost $30 and a couple were $50 each.

Sounds good BackL, I like your plan. If you look real close to the flower plants some will have more than one so get those and transplant them into your pots. If you have a dollar tree near you sometimes you can get some really good deals on pots and growing supplies. Any way we can help you let us know.

I'm trying to put up pics again now.
Some just left by themselves and some I pitched a legitimate temper tantrum and took my marbles and left [ I know what your thinking ] .
But now I'm back and have to see what I can do. Hubby is helping this time so maybe it will happen faster.

Dates :p:. I have no idea on some of them but none are over 4 years. Except recent ones of course.

Last edited:

012_zpsb52a3233.jpg

Before we put stone floor in.

We started out with a leanto when we moved garden closer to house. We will not will put garden across the yard again too much travel to tend to things. Now the recent GH is right next to house.

Nice.
I have decided to start with a small green house and see how it goes.
I watched a YouTube video where a guy built a greenhouse using cattle panels to make a hoop.
It was easy and cheap, around $150 not including the floor.

Sorry I couldn't find other pics, those must have been some he loaded with camera and I deleted them. We have a disc around here somewhere too, nto sure whats on it.

Sounds good and plan fro any and everything to go wrong. LOL. It probably won't but just plan in case.

I put about 5 lb.s of tomatoes in freezer. We don't par boil or cut them up, just wash, put whole tom in bag and throw em in freezer. This way the peel slides right of too when they thaw.
Ate lots of tomato sandwiches this last couple weeks, very good taste but small from cold temps last month before [ energy hog ] heater was put in. PLAN!

Took these a couple days ago.

Hydroponics and soil.

Wu9E3yi.jpg

Soil only.
vLikeJH.jpg

Last edited:
I used to love to grow Taiwan peas....so nice in salads.....I used to grow tomatoes in bags outside, then transfer to the greenhouse in fall....my roof is full of hoes this year and not usable...just had put a new roof on..then came huge hail stones...bummer

Sorry about the holes Granny. The weather can be a problem in so many ways. We had lots of storms from hurricanes last year but not bad considering.

Latest posts

Back