Green Potato Safe To Eat?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've heard you should'nt eat potatoes if they have green on their skin inside their peelings .

I've heard the same but ate them today anyway... This is the in between time for russet potatoes. Last years potatoes are turning green and this years crop hasn't started coming in. I usually switch to Yukon Gold potatoes this time of year for a couple of months. They are okay but not as good as russets for home fries and french fries.

Yes, green potatoes contain poison, so do apple seeds, bananas, and a host other foods. The thing is the amount of poison they contain and how quickly your body gets rid of it.
You are also exposed to radiation every day of your life and even after you die! It is in the food you eat, the air you breathe and even the sun and rain you are exposed to.
Will it kill you? If you live that long yes but most people don't live long enough.

Yes, green potatoes contain poison, so do apple seeds, bananas, and a host other foods. The thing is the amount of poison they contain and how quickly your body gets rid of it.
You are also exposed to radiation every day of your life and even after you die! It is in the food you eat, the air you breathe and even the sun and rain you are exposed to.
Will it kill you? If you live that long yes but most people don't live long enough.
I've heard the same but ate them today anyway... This is the in between time for russet potatoes. Last years potatoes are turning green and this years crop hasn't started coming in. I usually switch to Yukon Gold potatoes this time of year for a couple of months. They are okay but not as good as russets for home fries and french fries.

:Thankyou: I don't need anymore things going on so guess I best skip potatoes.

:Thankyou:you too SheepD nice to have yall help with advice.

If there's some in the bag that look pretty green, I use those for potatoes I peel. I choose the non greenish ones if we're having baked. I loaded up on potatoes during the holidays. They are all binned and shelved in cold storage. Our garage stays under 50 degrees. Lately it's been 40 in there. Prices have gone up now. Bought up sweet potatoes, butternut, and acorn squash when it was on sale, too.

We had a "potato pit" as a kid. About 2.5ft deep and 7ft x 6ft. The bottom was sand. We d lay potatoes not touching each other. Then a layer of pine straw covered by an old quilt. The top was sheets of tin weighed down by a couple of small logs. It was in a pine thicket which meant the tin got another layer of straw on top. It was a great way to keep potatoes all winter. This far south they would never freeze then rot.

Edit to add... we could lay in several layers of potatoes alternating layers of straw an old quilts. It'd hold enough potatoes for a family of 6 all winter...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back