Greeting From Michigan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parascuba

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Greeting,

Let me see where to start... My name is Earl, I born on March 2, 19... um, I think I went far too fast. Let's go fast forward to a few weeks after COVID hit the USA. I lost a good job with well pays because of COVID. Since then I never able to find any good job to cover my budget monthly Unemployment benefit doesn't help well. I got infected with COVID. I spend 4 months in the hospital and they slam me with a heavy debt of bills for spending too long in the Hospital. Thank God that I still have insurance with medical insurance or I'm screwed up. So I gave up the house, boat, scuba gears, paramotor gears, and most of my good stuff to pay the hospital bills. I refuse to give up on my SUV. I know I'll need it If I even get a job again. I only make 15k a year. Basically, I lost almost everything to try to keep up with bills. Forced me to live with my parent due to lack of money. Problem is, My parent is too old and they live in the house belong to A-hole landlord. She already told me a long time ago "If your parent passes away, you're to leave the house, I don't want you to live here!"

A friend of mine shows me ************ "Why not get land for cheap, Look their website shows New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, and Arizona. Look at the price, they're cheap! At first I just like "yeah they're cheap because there's no water, no electric, who would live like that. Nobody!" Over months I start learning about the homestead, Off the grid, and all those stuff on various YouTube. So, I talk with the same friend who shows me a website. We talking just an "idea" I was not planning to commit it. What if I got 2 acres. After all, this house parcel is less than 1 acres we could build two houses to live on the same parcel. No more rent. Just payment what land we're going pay. What if we build a swimming pool, What if we build a bonfire with a sofa around, What if, what if, what if... We did some fun look upon tax for a tiny house. WOW, it cost less than I pay the nice house I had. Does it lead to becoming more serious. 2 acres? let's get 5 acres! We could grow foods and sell them to a local restaurant. Let's do that. With some research... Forget to grow food. Let's set up a solar field to sell electricity. How big 5 acres it is? After more research... 5? let's get 10 acres! On the date of November 2020, I bought 10 acres in Elko, Nevada for $12,000 (with payment plans) I passed the date 30 days to change the mind and return the land. Now I have to commit it all the way to pay off the land. I'm not planning to go to that land until 2024. Because I still have to pay for SUV that will be paid off in 2024. But maybe just once or twice between now and 2024. Once I paid off debt to SUV. I'll able to afford to buy lumber and all stuff. Probably will start with a small RV and work way up from there.

Only I know about the land. No water, No Electric, Nearest road access is 100 yards away. Between land and road is BLM that means you can drive on BLM to the land. (that what real estates said) I really have no idea what BLM is. The nearest small town is 10 miles. And that town has a population of 50 people. The nearest major city is 101 miles away. (1 hour and 38 minutes) Most close gas station and the grocery store is 15 min away. Also, the water fill station is 15 min away from the same town.

I have been thinking, How to make money If there's nothing flat dry land on 10 acres? I'm planning to do homesteading and make some $ with a seriously limited budget. I would happy to hear your suggestion. Here picture of the land. I see the land with some creek/river... Maybe it is a river/creek. I asked real estate about it. he said "maybe"

By the way, I'm from Michigan.

Attachments

• pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-uevoqj-xxl.jpg
    pilot-valley-ranchland-elko-elko-county-nevada-264283-uevoqj-xxl.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
A warm welcome from Alaska! Keep after your dreams!

Welcome to the forum. We lived off grid in an RV for 4 years when we moved to our 14 acres. We planned carefully and didn't make any major mistakes. Our saving grace was water was plentiful. I hear Elko is really cold in the winter, but you are probably used to that. On a positive note no one really cares what you do in the middle of nowhere. The regulations on building etc are probably very lax. One thing I wish I had done was keep a journal of the challenges we overcame. It would be nice to look back on now that we are settled in. I was losing a pound a week since the first year I didn't have enough money for food. I was too proud to get free food. Plus making $80k a year it just seemed wrong. Long story on the financial part. Good luck I hope you come out the other side.

Greetings and welcome to this site. My wife and I have spent a fare amount of time going though Nevada, stopped for fuel at Elko in the winter, the cold wind amost took the skin off my face, In the northern portion of Nevada is a great place for wind generators, it's almost always windy. BLM = Bureau of Land Management, mostly open public land, around where we live it provides some of the more accessible public hunting land, timber companies tie up a lot of good hunting areas with locked gates, entry is often by paying a fee for the key to the gate or only hunting during certain hours. In Nevada a lot of the land is owned by huge mining companies and probably a lot of those lands are off limits, the area where we have gone to for gold detecting has some Newmont sections of land but they let people detect, I think I've heard that Newmont is the second largest mining company in the world and I know they have some big operations just south of Battle Mountain. Anyway, all the best to you and I hope everything works out good.

Latest posts

Back