Greetings From Eastern Oklahoma

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarOkie

Friend
Neighbor
I grew up on a small farm in northern Iowa. We grew mostly corn and soybeans, and raised some hogs, cattle, and smaller stock for meat. Somehow living on the flat prairie and following a plow was not exciting enough for me.

I studied Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State and graduated in 1982 into the teeth of the worst economy since the Great Depression. I worked hard finding my first job, and I ended up working for the US Navy designing tooling and inspection gauges, at a small facility in Pomona Ca. Not a great job, crappy place to live, but I got to work with a lots of aerospace contractors and military bases.

Two years later the economy had improved and I had my choice of job offers. I moved about three hours north to another Navy base called China Lake. I worked there another 30 yrs. As I got close to retirement, I found the insanity of California politics too much to bear, so my wife and I started looking for farm land we could afford. I ended up buying 64 ac in the Ozark mtns of eastern Oklahoma. I'm trying to build a ranch and I'm raising Red Sheep and Kiko Goats.

Nothing here seems to work like it did in Iowa, so I consider my self a farmer in training. I promise to pester everyone with lots of questions about building fences on this rocky, vertical land, and controlling the parasites affecting my animals. Every day here I'm learning something new.

Warm Welcome from the Arizona Valley folks. Lots of smart folks on this site and they be real glad to help out.

Yep, there's a whole batch of things that are different when you change geo locations. I can't grow a garden worth a flip where I am now due to heat. I might figure it out or I might move.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Latest posts

Back