Greetings from the Cornfields of Iowa!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jake229 here is a link to the nutritional benefits of mulberries - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/mulberries#benefits .

They are delicious to eat and we have them as they are for desserts and snacks and you can also make lovely berry jam out of them. We are going to be making a batch shortly to mix with strawberries we have in the freezer. You can also dehydrate them from what I hear but I haven't tried that yet.

You and your wife would love Australia and the wide open spaces. If you come here head to the country areas and walk the lovely nature and rainforest walks here.

@Jake229 here is a link to the nutritional benefits of mulberries - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/mulberries#benefits .

They are delicious to eat and we have them as they are for desserts and snacks and you can also make lovely berry jam out of them. We are going to be making a batch shortly to mix with strawberries we have in the freezer. You can also dehydrate them from what I hear but I haven't tried that yet.

You and your wife would love Australia and the wide open spaces. If you come here head to the country areas and walk the lovely nature and rainforest walks here.

Hey! Thanks so much for the info! Honestly, I didn’t know any of that about mulberries, accept the birds eat them and their droppings are purple on my white truck.

My wife and I enjoy exploring new and different places, mostly by taking cruises. The problem with that is the cruise lines take you to “touristy” areas and not off the beaten path. Maybe a before or after trip to the country areas.

Went out for the garage sale today at the Homestead. Sat and chatted with the owner of the property for 3 hours. What a super nice old gentleman. I felt bad for him to see most of his possessions go for pennies on the dollar, but he seemed excited for the next chapter of his life. I must admit, my bride and I are so ready to begin the next chapter of our lives as well. It is a beautiful property! IMG_4907.JPGIMG_4908.JPGIMG_4909.JPGIMG_4912.JPGIMG_4916.JPGIMG_4917.JPGIMG_4918.JPGIMG_4919.JPG

This is the property you are buying @Jake229 ?, it is beautiful.

I bought a property years ago from an elder Maltese couple and they were lovely too and I spoke to them for hours too. They gave me some of their homemade coffee with a what I remember a fair dash of a homemade liquor they made. Boy was that stuff strong and the coffee you could stand a spoon up in came in little cups and I had to say no thank you after two cups as I was feeling a little legless :) .

This is the property you are buying @Jake229 ?, it is beautiful.

I bought a property years ago from an elder Maltese couple and they were lovely too and I spoke to them for hours too. They gave me some of their homemade coffee with a what I remember a fair dash of a homemade liquor they made. Boy was that stuff strong and the coffee you could stand a spoon up in came in little cups and I had to say no thank you after two cups as I was feeling a little legless :) .
Hello! Yes it is our new property! Buying directly from the owner without a realtor is an amazing experience for sure. Sounds like your experience was similar to how ours is working, without the homemade liquor though. I used to hunt deer on a corn farm where the owner made his own for burning in his vehicles and a special blend for human consumption. My experience with that was very similar, made me a little leg less as well. Enjoy your day!

Welcome from Washington state. I am allergic to dogs (but like them) and the only time I've been tempted to have an indoor dog was a greyhound named Chester needed a home. He was a total sweetheart. We were both lucky. He found someone else who happened to like greyhounds to adopt him, and I got to keep my ability to breath.
Good luck on your new property!

Went out for the garage sale today at the Homestead. Sat and chatted with the owner of the property for 3 hours. What a super nice old gentleman. I felt bad for him to see most of his possessions go for pennies on the dollar, but he seemed excited for the next chapter of his life. I must admit, my bride and I are so ready to begin the next chapter of our lives as well. It is a beautiful property! View attachment 11458View attachment 11459View attachment 11460View attachment 11461View attachment 11462View attachment 11463View attachment 11464View attachment 11465
Looks great. May the Lord richly bless you on your new property

Welcome and congrats on your new place!

I am looking forward to your posts, especially the medical angle as it applies to austere times... as in having to do without conventional meds and equipment that the medical profession is heavily dependent upon. I would imagine some of the old-school doctors took most of that knowledge with them to their graves. Speaking of that, do you have first-hand knowledge of any useful old medical books (textbooks, etc.) that I could put on my wish-list?

Looks great. May the Lord richly bless you on your new property
Thank you so much! It is an incredibly emotional day for us today. We finally close on the property and fulfill a life long dream to own a small acreage. The gentleman we are purchasing it from is simply amazing. It restores some hope in me for mankind. Clearly he and his late wife loved and cherished the property. I can only hope and pray that we will be able to love and cherish it as well as they did.

Welcome and congrats on your new place!

I am looking forward to your posts, especially the medical angle as it applies to austere times... as in having to do without conventional meds and equipment that the medical profession is heavily dependent upon. I would imagine some of the old-school doctors took most of that knowledge with them to their graves. Speaking of that, do you have first-hand knowledge of any useful old medical books (textbooks, etc.) that I could put on my wish-list?

Thank you for your well wishes! You bring up providing medical care in less than ideal conditions. I have to share this with you. For many years two friends and I would go someplace remote (Boundary Waters in Northern MN or the UP of Michigan) on the full moon in February and winter camp. Of course, I planned for providing emergency medical care in case something bad were to happen. I had a well stocked first aid kit complete with a variety of items to fix lacerations, burns, broken bones and other emergencies. In the front of the pack, I had stored “Backpackers Magazine’s Guide to Wilderness Medicine” just in case it was me who needed the care. Neither of my friends were medically savvy and heaven for bid the medic needed medical care!

I maintain my paramedic certification (31 years this year) and take significant medical continuing education every two years to maintain it. As far as “old medical books”, one comes to mind, although it maybe out of print. It is “Emergency Care in the Streets” by Nancy Caroline. It is a paramedic textbook written for “newbies”. I still have mine around here somewhere. One bit of advice I can provide to you and everyone on this forum is that traumatic blood loss can be a survivable emergency! Go purchase a tourniquet and watch videos on how to deploy it. Obtain a few Israeli Emergency Bandages and practice deploying them before you need them. Don’t tighten the tourniquet however. Have at least one of each in the house (or wherever you do potentially dangerous tasks) and consider having a “stop the bleeding kit” for each of your vehicles as well. Remember all bleeding stops eventually. People say that nothing good comes from wartime. I beg to differ. Tourniquets were “evil” when I took my initial training. The military perfected their deployment and it has indeed saved countless lives all across the world.

Anyhow it is time to continue packing for our move. I look forward to giving and receiving advice on this forum. I consider myself a total “greenhorn” when it comes to homesteading and country living.

Remember all bleeding stops eventually.

Ha ha! For better or worse, it sure does!

Jake, thank you very much for taking the time to share everything in your post...especially while you are in the throes of a move (ouch!). It is very much appreciated! When you get settled in your new place, let us help you celebrate!

I have been on the fence regarding Israeli tourniquets, but because of your post, I am going to jump off this fence and purchase some Israeli Emergency Bandages to practice with.

7C179EF4-37E7-4728-BDA1-C5CB76730F64.jpeg Howdy!
I won’t provide a website, but the SOF® Tactical Tourniquet is what I recommend and personally carry while on duty at the SO. The tourniquet is now one of only two windlass tourniquets approved by the Department of Defense, one of two tourniquets approved by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care, and the tourniquet of choice for the American Red Cross. A friend of mine gave me my first one. He used them in Iraq as a combat medic. Good quality and an excellent choice. Make sure you get a genuine one. It has metal buckles and the windlass is also metal. Plastic breaks!

Off to our house closing. I will be around soon!

Thank you for putting me on the right track, Jake! With precise directions as that, I can't go wrong.

Latest posts

Back