Greetings from the high desert!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
Got tired of the politics in another forum, figured I'd try my luck here... I recently bought a manufactured home on roughly half an acre, with 30 pine trees and some other plants on the property. Got a good deal on the home, so I'm free & clear (which is important to me), but the home still needs a little work. The yard is coming along nicely, I've already planted some fruit trees and I'm taking good care of them, same way I care for my pine trees... all my life, I've been a good steward to the land, wherever that land was at the time. I prefer organic methods, I don't like chemicals... whether those chemicals are from Monsanto or Big Pharma. What's the difference? Lol... no thanks, I'll pass. Anyway, I'll start a thread on my humble home soon enough, just wanted to register and join a group of like-minded folks who are more interested in homesteading than politics in these fraudulent times. Now that I'm getting on in years, I understand why old-timers constantly ramble about "the good old days!" ;)

Welcome from Alaska.

Did you ever build a custom vehicle by any chance?

Ben

More than one, but I'm talking dirt bikes & minis, lol... I used to go by 'Sidewinder' in the dirt bike & mini forums, but I think I got banned from all of 'em. Politics again, you understand, I can only take so much of that BS before I unload, lol. :oops:

My friends are all gearheads of one sort or another, and we still enjoy movies like:

---SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT

---VANISHING POINT

---DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY

---BULLITT

And a few others, lol... dating back to when movies were made solely for entertainment and NOT political propaganda, as all the modern films seem to be. Ugh. :confused:

Hey, one of my favorite scenes in that first flick was when Jerry Reed fired up his truck and knocked over all those bikes, lol. Good ol' Jerry Reed, one helluva trucker & one helluva singer... we're losing the wrong ones, I reckon. :(

Warm welcome from out in the woods of S.W. Oregon, having everything paid for is a great plus in being free. Wife and I have spent a lot of time in the high desert of Northern Nevada, gold detecting in the Rye Patch area west of Winnemucca, we really liked doing that, but boy does it ever get cold and windy in the winter there. What's really amazing in that area is driving around the mountains, finding streams that had fish in them and stands of Elderberry trees and Plum thickets, in higher areas forests of Juniper. There was an amazing amount of springs around as well.

Viking, I always liked the Ruby Mountains of Nevada... very pretty country there in a place where one really wouldn't expect it, since there's so much empty desert in surrounding areas. My one and only sister lives on the other side of the state, south of Carson City... big state, Nevada, like most of the Western states. I briefly looked into buying property there, but the value wasn't there in my price range. I wanted to be free & clear, wherever I went, since that's important to me in these uncertain times. I wound up here, and I'm gonna stick it out, as this area has a lot going for it... plus my property taxes are the lowest I've ever seen, lol. Sure, it gets hot here, but I'm above 4000' elevation, and that's the key to comfortable living in the high desert. Wish I'd had the money to buy a place in Cloudcroft, that would've been stylin', but I'll settle for this, and Cloudcroft is only 30-40 minutes from my door. Silver Lake roughly an hour away... I'll be going there this summer, same way I'll be visiting the track at Ruidoso Downs to watch the horse races. I'm not a gambling man, not with money anyway, but I'll ride the motorbike up there to escape the heat if it gets too oppressive. :rolleyes:

Hello from montana at 4000ft just over the continental divide on the east side. Your list of movies are some classics. Here's one i like The Best Bar in America
I have been known to ride some motorcycles. If you have questions on portable generators I have about 40 years experience fixing them as well.
100_0243.JPG

Hello from montana at 4000ft just over the continental divide on the east side. Your list of movies are some classics. Here's one i like The Best Bar in America
I have been known to ride some motorcycles. If you have questions on portable generators I have about 40 years experience fixing them as well.View attachment 84994

That's the real deal right there... and that movie intro was hilarious, I'll have to watch the whole thing tonight. Everything that hand said about the road in the introduction, all of it applies to trucking as well. I had a good time when I drove OTR, and met just about every type of person mentioned... but I don't regret a minute of it. I got to see the country like few others do, ditching the wagon whenever possible and using that 10-ton road tractor as an RV, lol. Dunno if you saw this link earlier, there are some cool truck camping photos in that thread, all mine from my time on the road. I used to take friends out with me as passengers (one at a time), never telling the company... friends from the surf shop, including former pro surfer Mikey J. They all got to see what trucking is really about, lol. Glad to meet ya, be back soon, I gotta water the saplings before it gets dark, I'm on a mission to see these trees thrive. ;)

Dang, I almost forgot the link: Random outdoor adventure shots... :cool:

Haha, I hear ya... seems like it's all going downhill that fast. Frankly, I never thought I'd live to see the day when the U.S. declined to the point where it currently is, with all three branches of the gubmint rotten to the core. But now I'm verging on politics, and I told myself I wouldn't do that here, lol. It'll suffice to say that I feel sorry for the youngsters of today, their future isn't looking so hot the way things are going. Moi, I only have x number of years left on this planet, so if the whole outhouse goes up in flames, well, at least I saw the glory years and had a taste of real freedom. All anybody can ask for nowadays, and that kind of freedom is getting harder & harder to find... one can still find it, if one knows where to look. :confused:

Welcome from Alaska!

Back