Greetings from Western Indiana!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyDave

Friend
Neighbor
I live on about 60 acres which I am in the process of developing into a fully functioning homestead. It appears that this is a pleasant community of like-minded folks with thoughts to share on the lifestyle and I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

So far, I have a Jersey cow who I raised from freshly weaned who is about old enough to be bred, I am about to get started with chickens, and I am now scheming to build a production-oriented summer kitchen built into a hillside with a root cellar behind it completely buried aside from providing ventilation.

A bull and probably another cow are on the bucket list as are more chickens after I get my daughter acclimated to the 8 I ordered the other day.

Dave

Welcome from New Mexico! Would love to see kitchen photos
Right now it is just a doodle. I already have a commercial range with 6 burners, 3 ft of grill top, and 2 ovens. I also have a conveyor oven, an 80 qt mixer, and a 10 ft vent hood. A commercial fryer, a couple of smaller cabinets, a combination stainless work table/refrigerator, and a large (6-8 ft) commercial freezer are on the bucket list. I arranged these and ended up with an 18 ft square structure, although it will probably need to be made deeper for finish butchering space. The squarish appendage on back represents my tentative plan to have a 3000 gallon septic tank poured with no baffles and a doorway in the end to serve as a relatively inexpensive yet very functional root cellar.

0707202339.jpg

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, hope you don't have to deal with the anti-farm creatures like we have around here, cougars, red and gray fox, coons that took six hens and a rooster and large owls that can do in their share of chickens, needless to say, our chickens get locked up just around sundown in a secure henhouse. Then there's the fenced garden, we have elk and deer that would like to take care of garden stuff and it's bad enough what they do to apple and other fruit trees. Other than those things to deal with, homesteading is really hard to beat, wouldn't want it any other way.

Welcome from Bama! Seems you have a full calender for some time to come. lots of good info here on just about any topic. Glad you went with a Jersey cow. Jersey bulls can be dangerous, very dangerous. Of the 3 people I know who have been gored by a bull... a jersey bull was the culprit each time.(not the same bull)

The farm that joins mine to the east was a dairy the last 40 years... My neighbor used to say a Holstein is born looking for a place to die. Holsteins have lots of health issues for some reason.

Lots of info on chickens here also. I have a few as do several members. A few members know a thing or two about wild plants, always good information to have.

Anyway, welcome!

Back