Greetings from WI

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard. I have nearly frozen to death several times working in Wisconsin. The only place I was ever in colder weather was South Dakota.
Lolol yeah it can get cold. So far the coldest night in my hammock was -11 in the north woods of WI.

Welcome BLH,
Milwaukee area?
Kenosha area?

Oh well, doesn't matter.
Wisconsin is beautiful.(specially Door County)
I lived 13 years at Lake Geneva.

Had to leave , couldn't pay real estate taxes, after retiring.
Got too cold too.
:welcome:

Jim
Manitowoc County area so along lake Michigan. Oh nice yeah I really like it here.

Manitowoc County area so along lake Michigan. Oh nice yeah I really like it here.
I actually have relatives, although distant, who lived in Mishicot, Manitowoc County. My g grandmother had a brother who was a carpenter who lived there, more than 100 years ago. He made a spinning wheel for her, from an apple tree, which I now have. I knew for many years that they lived in Manitowoc County, but didn't realize until a year or so ago how close they were to Lake Michigan. They were Czech's and had a large family. Most of the children left as soon as they could because of all the hard work living on the land.

I actually have relatives, although distant, who lived in Mishicot, Manitowoc County. My g grandmother had a brother who was a carpenter who lived there, more than 100 years ago. He made a spinning wheel for her, from an apple tree, which I now have. I knew for many years that they lived in Manitowoc County, but didn't realize until a year or so ago how close they were to Lake Michigan. They were Czech's and had a large family. Most of the children left as soon as they could because of all the hard work living on the land.
Hahaha cool! Yeah I have took the SS Badge across a few times to our friends across "the pond." Sure I know where Mishicot is also. Lol.
Wow that's pretty handy!

So, @BadgerLandHunter I was wondering what you like to do outside. Are you a fisherman, hunter, boater, hiker, gardener, all of it? Do you have any experience to share about guns, machinery, cooking outdoors, camping in the cold?
Are you a woodworker, a poet, a philosopher, former military, LEO, fugitive, or refugee?
Me, I like to spout off a lot but otherwise useless in an apocalypse. Except I've got good aim with a gun. And I'm sneaky quiet and can go by unobserved and ninja-like. What's your super power? We don't hear much from you!

So, @BadgerLandHunter I was wondering what you like to do outside. Are you a fisherman, hunter, boater, hiker, gardener, all of it? Do you have any experience to share about guns, machinery, cooking outdoors, camping in the cold?
Are you a woodworker, a poet, a philosopher, former military, LEO, fugitive, or refugee?
Me, I like to spout off a lot but otherwise useless in an apocalypse. Except I've got good aim with a gun. And I'm sneaky quiet and can go by unobserved and ninja-like. What's your super power? We don't hear much from you!
Thanks for asking. I love to hunt usually small game since I don't own land and deer is over hunted on public land locally. I'm a pretty good shot and before all this I enjoyed to plink in the off season. I also like to bake when the mood strikes. Winter camping is the best IMO the colder the better as long as it's not a snow storm. If there is no risk of dying (if not prepared) it's not as fun lol. I'm sure as I get to my golden years the cold won't be as enjoyable.
I tinker with building things. Not a craftsman by any stretch but I built a few hutches for city style live stock. Not perfect but they work. I can do a decent job on brain tanning animal hides. If I kill it I try not to waste good parts such as fur. I actually used a raccoon I shot and after eating some of the meat i tanned the fur and made a face on coon skin cap complete with whiskers and nose. Nice and warm in the winter hear. That was my greatest tanning project from hunt to hat. I also was given an elk hide and tanned that in my living room. That was a lot of work.

Haha so you are the meaning of silent but deadly. Good I think all upstanding folk should be competent with a fire arm. You help keep the posts alive so keep it up.

Well, I'll be....
That's cool stuff.
We'd love to see your coon hat and elk hide if you're into posting photos. I've never been hunting. My dad went for deer but not every year. My bro would shoot squirrel, rabbit, dove, pheasant, back in the day. Not often, but I remember eating it.
Do you see ever see badgers? They're so vicious.

My wife and I lived at 8,000' elevation just west of Denver, didn't take long to figure we wanted to be in warmer climates, that's why we finally ended up here in southern Oregon, we can do without extreme cold, we don't mind it for hunting but that's about all.

Well, I'll be....
That's cool stuff.
We'd love to see your coon hat and elk hide if you're into posting photos. I've never been hunting. My dad went for deer but not every year. My bro would shoot squirrel, rabbit, dove, pheasant, back in the day. Not often, but I remember eating it.
Do you see ever see badgers? They're so vicious.
Yeah I'll try and get some pictures of that soon. It's about the time of year to start wearing the hat too. If it's above freezing the hat is too hot to wear.

Oh it's a lot of fun....never too late. ;) My father use to deer hunt every year so that's how I got into it. He never was into fishing so I never acquired a taste for fish. If I won't eat it I don't hunt it so not a fisherman.

That's cool I'm the only child that still hunts here and there. I really enjoy small game because there are so many more around plus the hides are pretty fast and easy to tan vs big game.

Pheasant is awesome! First time I ate it was about a year ago. My friend shot it and I cooked it up. Ummmm. Never tried dove but the rest are also good.
Rabbit fur is especially nice if you get an old enough one with thick skin.

No lol you got me there! Never saw a badger out in the woods. Yeah they can be for sure.
CB slang for Wisconsin is the badger state or badger land so I stole the idea for my user name lol.

Oops forgot this was public didn't mean to pop up on new articles or whatever.

My wife and I lived at 8,000' elevation just west of Denver, didn't take long to figure we wanted to be in warmer climates, that's why we finally ended up here in southern Oregon, we can do without extreme cold, we don't mind it for hunting but that's about all.
I hear yeah there. The cold is great for bringing snow to look at, hunting, camping, and an excuse to drink hot chocolate. It stinks for anything outside where you need dexterity of your fingers without gloves. I have some minor blood flow issues in my fingers, nose, ears, and toes and if they get exposed for to long they get painful and swell up (fingers for swelling). Other people can be fine for several more mins but I need thaw my fingers which never is pleasant. Maybe one day I will move.....or have an insulated garage with a furnace. XD

Back