Greetings from WI

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Oops forgot this was public didn't mean to pop up on new articles or whatever." I do not know what you mean.
It's about 61 degrees where I am, had a nice downpour a bit ago. I don't know about having to get thawed out. Sounds miserable.
I didn't know pheasant was still walking around. Where I used to live it seemed to have all but disappeared.

"Oops forgot this was public didn't mean to pop up on new articles or whatever." I do not know what you mean.
It's about 61 degrees where I am, had a nice downpour a bit ago. I don't know about having to get thawed out. Sounds miserable.
I didn't know pheasant was still walking around. Where I used to live it seemed to have all but disappeared.
View attachment 53955
I mean when I reply I thought this then makes it to the new posts category. Like when I visit the site I use that to see the newest info and even old sites if replied to recently will be brought to the top. People though can see this old though and skip if they don't want to view. Probably over thinking things.

It warmed up to low 40s the last 2 days we had rain on Tue and fog today. (Well Wednesday) Now it's going back into the mid 30s I think. 61 would almost feel like T-shirt and shorts now. Lol.

Yeah when my extremities are cold its uncomfortable but knowing what's coming when I warm them us much more so. There is a prescription I guess i could take to prevent that from happening during winter but it's not life threatening and i can take steps to prevent or minimize it so it's not that big of a deal for possible side effects and cost.

Yeah they were low in numbers years ago but one of the local public lands raises and release them. You can also hunt them there. It was here my old friend shot the one although being raised by people and dropped off ment it wasn't very hard vs say deer. Other places too though are starting to make a slower steady return. Growing up a few years back some fesants randomly showed up for a change. I threw out some crack corn for them and they head in the trees there at night.
Here are pics of my coon skin cap I made from the 2014-15 hunting season. I included a pic of the inside where you can see the tan from smoking....and my not so handy work of the design markings lol.
My cell phone didn't like to get the colors right in the fur so I used the flash which match it better. Pics aren't great but that's why. My elk rug is buried under a project I'm working on this weekend I'll try to drag it outside and lay it out for a pic.
Have a good Thanksgiving!
20201126_014746.jpg
20201126_014913.jpg
20201126_015036.jpg

Looks good to me, Badger!
Plus, he's still got his whiskers.
If it hits 61 I'm ready for a sweater or flannel until I get used to it again, but I dont mind barefoot for a little bit in the 40s.
My turkey still had ice holding the neck in place last night inside the cavity, spent a while wrasslin' with that. Memories of snow and ice and forgotten gloves when I lived back east. Lol
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Looks good to me, Badger!
Plus, he's still got his whiskers.
If it hits 61 I'm ready for a sweater or flannel until I get used to it again, but I dont mind barefoot for a little bit in the 40s.
My turkey still had ice holding the neck in place last night inside the cavity, spent a while wrasslin' with that. Memories of snow and ice and forgotten gloves when I lived back east. Lol
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
Thanks!
Yeah I like it for working weather but if I'm relaxing I'll grab a light sweatshirt. Lol.
Ahhhh the memories huh. XD.
Thanks I ate too much.

I hear yeah there. The cold is great for bringing snow to look at, hunting, camping, and an excuse to drink hot chocolate. It stinks for anything outside where you need dexterity of your fingers without gloves. I have some minor blood flow issues in my fingers, nose, ears, and toes and if they get exposed for to long they get painful and swell up (fingers for swelling). Other people can be fine for several more mins but I need thaw my fingers which never is pleasant. Maybe one day I will move.....or have an insulated garage with a furnace. XD
If first you don't succeed at least try again, if I rest my wrists on the front of this laptop while typing it wipes out all I've written and so I'll try again. Over the years I've spent a lot of time outside in very cold weather and my hands get very painful and a few years back I read that a person could get frost nip, not so damaging as frost bite but shows it's nasty effects by having extremely painful fingers, if the happens to me I have to go inside and warm my hands up starting with lukewarm water. When I can I will strive to wear gloves, but there are times when they get in the way, I try to imagine what it was like for gold panners in cold climates and have done that a few times myself, it wasn't fun.

If first you don't succeed at least try again, if I rest my wrists on the front of this laptop while typing it wipes out all I've written and so I'll try again. Over the years I've spent a lot of time outside in very cold weather and my hands get very painful and a few years back I read that a person could get frost nip, not so damaging as frost bite but shows it's nasty effects by having extremely painful fingers, if the happens to me I have to go inside and warm my hands up starting with lukewarm water. When I can I will strive to wear gloves, but there are times when they get in the way, I try to imagine what it was like for gold panners in cold climates and have done that a few times myself, it wasn't fun.
Oh I hate when I delete a reply most of the way through.

Yeah exactly warm water is the best and I think I have always caught it at the frost nip stage so no long term damage. I use to use gloves for dexterity and because it looked "cooler" than mittens but my doc said wearing mittens will keep your fingers together and help them stay warmer more effectively. Didn't figure this out till I was older so it's really a big deal now. Mittens definitely are the way to go if you won't need to do things with your hands.

Yeah i often think back too. Those guys were a lot tougher and more determined than most now days. I remember seeing the black and white image of the kid outside of a coal mine with a black sooty face smiling.

The battery service life isn't great but I have used some rechargeable China electric hand warmers that are awesome in mittens if you ever find yourself back in a situation like that. (I might rip mine apart and try and replace the 18650 batteries)

I had a lot of stuff on the rug but the other was hanging up so I but that on top since the fur looks better. These aren't perfect but they are preserved. The gold on the underside was made from smoking it. I actually used hardwood pellets I cleaned out at my old job at a smoke house. So at one point these smelt like hot dogs lolol.

If I had more space in my apartment I could have stored them flat and the hairs wouldn't be standing up in places. The bald spots are from the delayed time from when it was alive to when the slaughter house gave it to me. For free though I'm grateful.
20201206_120937.jpg
20201206_115803.jpg

Latest posts

Back