Greetings from Wisconsin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ashland is awesome, I had a good time there, lol... went swimming in Lake Superior and the water in the shallows was quite warm, even though locals said the water would be cold. It probably IS cold out there in the middle of the lake, but the shallows were nice on that fine day! :cool:

Hey, Bacpacker, did you visit the Hotel Chequamegon? That place is heller cool!!! You should've heard the locals laugh when I first tried to pronounce the name, lol... meh, once they knew I was a visiting truck driver, they bought me beers, or at least matched my rounds, so all's well that ends well! ;)

Lots of barns and silos up there. Beautiful. A LOT of wind turbines too. I guess that's a way for farmers to get some extra money.
I attended my Army unit reunion in Madison. My daughter was living in Green Bay at the time, and I went over, picked her up and brought her to reunion for the weekend.

Funny thing - I'm a lifetime Florida Boy, and I noticed these wooden posts out in front of stores, one in each front row parking space. What the heck? Are they hitching posts for horses?
Then my daughter explained they are electrical outlets so you can plug your vehicles engine block heaters up in the winters, and your engine will be easier to start in sub zero temps when you are done shopping.
Nope!! Ain't no place for a Florida Boy.

Greetings from Alamogordo, New Mexico! Gotta love the dairy action up in Wisconsin, I used to haul dairy loads outta there and always liked the way those good ol' boyz on the docks would extend hospitality. They'd tell ya to hit the break room and take whatever ya wanted from the fridge, which was LOADED with fresh dairy products, lol. Dunno if they still do this, it has been two decades or more since I pulled reefer wagons, lol. But I sure used to LOVE that 'Double Dutch Chocolate Milk'---or whatever it was called back in the day---that stuff was like a meal in itself!!! And the excellent cheeses on the side didn't hurt either, lol. Good dairy products up in Wisconsin, that's for sure! Cheers!!! :cool:
Hello in New Mexico. Another beautiful state I'd love to get some hunting in. Glad you were treated well here. Truckers keep this country running.
Thanks for your service and have a blessed evening.

Ashland is awesome, I had a good time there, lol... went swimming in Lake Superior and the water in the shallows was quite warm, even though locals said the water would be cold. It probably IS cold out there in the middle of the lake, but the shallows were nice on that fine day! :cool:

Hey, Bacpacker, did you visit the Hotel Chequamegon? That place is heller cool!!! You should've heard the locals laugh when I first tried to pronounce the name, lol... meh, once they knew I was a visiting truck driver, they bought me beers, or at least matched my rounds, so all's well that ends well! ;)
Dude, we stayed there. We had made reservations cause we knew it would be late when we got in and didn't want to worry about it. We got a crap room that night, not what we had reserved. It was right over the front door all light up and loud. Next morning I went to the desk to talk to the manager. Ask him why we didn't get what we reserved and gave me some spiel about how late we got it and they gave it to someone else. SO I asked what they could do since we planned to stay for 2 more nights and explore the area. So he said out deluxe suite just came open, would you like it. Took us back to look at it and WOW. Yep that'll work. Same price too. It was on the corner of the building and facing the lake, huge windows, huge bed. Just a whole different level of room. We enjoyed that a WHOLE LOT.
Funny thing about the whole thing in Ashland. A guy I worked with grew up there and when I told him about our trip he was like oh you gotta stay there, couple places to check out. We had fun

Lots of barns and silos up there. Beautiful. A LOT of wind turbines too. I guess that's a way for farmers to get some extra money.
I attended my Army unit reunion in Madison. My daughter was living in Green Bay at the time, and I went over, picked her up and brought her to reunion for the weekend.

Funny thing - I'm a lifetime Florida Boy, and I noticed these wooden posts out in front of stores, one in each front row parking space. What the heck? Are they hitching posts for horses?
Then my daughter explained they are electrical outlets so you can plug your vehicles engine block heaters up in the winters, and your engine will be easier to start in sub zero temps when you are done shopping.
Nope!! Ain't no place for a Florida Boy.
🥲🥲 That's not the first time I've heard Florida folks dislike our weather. My brother moved there and never came back.

🥲🥲 That's not the first time I've heard Florida folks dislike our weather. My brother moved there and never came back.
Well, you gotta call him up and ask him how his weather forecast is looking.:oops:
...Then casually mention that Wisconsin don't have no hurricanes.
66984-NoDeal.gif

In the Army, I did a little over a year at Fort Carson, Colorado.
Going to the field with the artillery in the dead of winter for a week at a time, sleeping in tents, crapping in straddle trenches, all in below zero weather and FEET of snow, caused me to volunteer for Vietnam to get warm.

Those "Up North" boys had a hard time with the tropical heat in Nam, but that part was OK with me.

You stay safe down there. Our prayers are with you
The 5:00 PM National Hurricane Center update has Ian coming right over our farm a few minutes after 2 PM Friday.
Supposed to be a Tropical Storm by then, which means anything between 39 and 74 MPH sustained winds. Higher gusts.

The 5:00 PM National Hurricane Center update has Ian coming right over our farm a few minutes after 2 PM Friday.
Supposed to be a Tropical Storm by then, which means anything between 39 and 74 MPH sustained winds. Higher gusts.
I don't want to derail Ray's thread, but you might want to walk around outside and look for anything that has a flat surface bigger than 3'. I know you don't have a trampoline, but none of them survive a big storm :(.
An unattached storage shed is it's next favorite. Pile stuff around it to break up the wind impact.
...Now back to Wisconsin, where they don't have no damhurricanes!:woo hoo:

Dude, we stayed there. We had made reservations cause we knew it would be late when we got in and didn't want to worry about it. We got a crap room that night, not what we had reserved. It was right over the front door all light up and loud. Next morning I went to the desk to talk to the manager. Ask him why we didn't get what we reserved and gave me some spiel about how late we got it and they gave it to someone else. SO I asked what they could do since we planned to stay for 2 more nights and explore the area. So he said out deluxe suite just came open, would you like it. Took us back to look at it and WOW. Yep that'll work. Same price too. It was on the corner of the building and facing the lake, huge windows, huge bed. Just a whole different level of room. We enjoyed that a WHOLE LOT.
Funny thing about the whole thing in Ashland. A guy I worked with grew up there and when I told him about our trip he was like oh you gotta stay there, couple places to check out. We had fun
I don't want to derail Ray's thread, but you might want to walk around outside and look for anything that has a flat surface bigger than 3'. I know you don't have a trampoline, but none of them survive a big storm :(.
An unattached storage shed is it's next favorite. Pile stuff around it to break up the wind impact.
Did I miss a name change??

Excellent point and excellent advice!!! 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Welcome from Colorado!

Latest posts

Back