Greetings

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like hunting (bow, black powder, and firearms) and year round gardening. I have a very broad background with experience in a number of relevant fields.

Our family did home schooling back in the day and even did virtual learning over 20 years ago, using satalite, VCRs, and dial-up internet. All of our children are grown, we have an Account, a Teacher, a Nurse, and a Doctor so it worked for us.

We are now empty nesters, but continue to actively garden, hunt, and do updates to our home to make it as self reliant as possible.

I have been "prepping" for over 35 years but we didn't call it that back then. I have learned a lot by trial and error and would be happy to share anything I can. Just drop me a note.

Just getting by, I guess: I am Urban - Thus the Urban Hunter handle - Live Just outside 2 major eastern cities.

I was raised in the southern deserts of Arizona, but Graduated from High School in the mountains of Colorado

I was a hunter safety instructor for over 10 years, I am an NRA Range Safety Officer, and I am the chief range officer at my hunting club.

I have limited space, so I use raised beds and containers to make the maximum use of my growing space, I typically get 3 crops per year. 10 years ago, I installed a rain-water collection system and use a pump to water the plants when rain has been sufficient, about 1/4" inch of rain gives me enough water for 2 weeks. I designed and made mini-greenhouse tops for my raised beds that allow me go grow both early and late season crops.

My wife has medical conditions and is on pumped oxygen, so I have installed a stand-by battery backup for the outlets powering her devices up to 8 hours, I also installed a manual transfer switch and have a generator for longer term needs.

I do food storage using a first in first out inventory control system; typically I maintain a reasonable supply plus a little extra just in case.
We are a low salt household so we make canned meals, can most of our tomato products, and make frozen family dinners to avoid the need to do fast food.

I mostly hunt game animals from September to February and am an all-weather hunter who likes hunting in the snow; I do all my own butchering and processing.

Before college I spent 15 years as a mechanic, most of my vehicles are 20+ and have never been to a shop.
As an adult I changed careers and got a degree in Engineering while supporting a family.

We home schooled all of our children, who did well in college.

Because of our choices, I don’t know if I will ever get to retire, but I do the best I can with what I have.

Yet, just getting by.

Latest posts

Back