Greetings

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Katie Muller - Hi there and welcome. I'm always curious how a new member finds our little bit of the internet. How did you find us? Did someone recommend us?

Do you know of Batavia NY and is the Police station a lot like a rock castle?

I don't actually know much about Batavia. I asked my dad and he vaguely remembers the big stone building but he doesn't remember what it was. Back in the day when the tractor store was in Batavia his father would drive out there periodically and it was a big event to go to the tractor store. That would have been around the late 60s early 70s?

I just googled gardening and homesteading forums. This forum wasn't the first on the list and I rearranged my search terms a few times, but I finally found you guys :D

Was not in 65' when I was in their JAIL. Visiting my brother.

I'd like to extend a joke about this, but I'll mind my manners :D

Welcome KatieM, pull up a chair. Now I live where I was born but lived for a while in Tonawanda, long ago.

I serviced a catscan in Batavia, Saint Joe's? Joseph's? Don't remember much about the town, just there a couple of times.

So many people who know my area! Once upon a time, we were an economic hub, but the jobs are gone now. :(

Nice to meet you Peanut. I did see in another thread, 'Post a Real Picture' that you put catscan service manuals up on your office wall to cover up ugly wallpaper? I really liked your mahogany desk, by the way.

My 'office' is in the corner of the living room. Lol. I asked my dad if I could have a desk in the living room so I could do my work while still maintaining closeness with the family and he said that was fine. I didn't like the idea of being set off apart from everyone else and neither did he. ^.^

So many people who know my area! Once upon a time, we were an economic hub, but the jobs are gone now.
Harrison Radiator in 60's was so impressive the President of USSR visited the plant.

Harrison Radiator in 60's was so impressive the President of USSR visited the plant.
Yup, my uncle worked there! Didn't know the President of the USSR visited it. Was that Khrushchev?

Downtown is pretty dingy now. :-/

My 'office' is in the corner of the living room. Lol. I asked my dad if I could have a desk in the living room so I could do my work while still maintaining closeness with the family and he said that was fine. I didn't like the idea of being set off apart from everyone else and neither did he. ^.^

My spot is downstairs in the family room, hers is upstairs in her "office". Space can be important after decades of togetherness, I am certainly not the easiest to live with :p

Welcome from southern Ohio. :welcome:

I've not been to Niagara County, but I suspect it's beautiful there. :)

Hello Goshen Girl! I've never been to Ohio in person, but I have on Google Maps. LOL. The few places I 'drove' through were very lovely. Rural Niagara County is lovely. I especially love our history with Old Fort Niagara. ^.^ My sister loves going to the lake for picnics.

Was that Khrushchev?
YES.........I was trying to post that but could not get close to correct spelling. We had a Nursing Home in Gasport, NY and Khrushchev was standing on the roadside waving to passing vehicles.

We have a couple more members from your area, they might speak up. Me, I serviced ct's and mri's from Rochester to Buffalo, down to Jamestown on the southern tier. Even lived in Lockport for a brief time. I had a couple neighbors back then who'd worked at Harrison.

I met great people during my time in western NY. But I'm a southern man, too darned cold up there for me.

YES.........I was trying to post that but could not get close to correct spelling. We had a Nursing Home in Gasport, NY and Khrushchev was standing on the roadside waving to passing vehicles.

Wow! I never knew that! That's really fascinating. That's hilarious he was standing on the roadside waving to cars.

Was the nursing home, Absolute of Gasport?

My dad's friend read/heard that a Russian duke visited our area. He supposedly visited Appleton because we had exported the most apples in the world that year. I believe it was this guy: Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich of Russia - Wikipedia

My grandmother was from Appleton.

@Peanut How long were you in Lockport and during what years?

And yeah, the winter is the only kicker here. But I'd still take a blizzard over tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding etc. We like to joke that all we have here is History and Blizzards; and Blizzards that make history.

Wonder if anyone on this site was here in WNY area during the blizzard of '77.

Lockport, I had an apartment there for a very short time in the 90's. I was supposed to work in China at least a year. I moved to Lockport to be down the street from friends, they could keep an eye on my place. But, I got sent to work in Europe instead and the company insisted I live in California. I just remember it was winter and very cold.

Lockport, I had an apartment there for a very short time in the 90's. I was supposed to work in China at least a year. I moved to Lockport to be down the street from friends, they could keep an eye on my place. But, I got sent to work in Europe instead and the company insisted I live in California. I just remember it was winter and very cold.

Oh about the time I was born. Lol. Where did you work in Europe?

Hope you don't mind all this chitter-chat from me.

Welcome from a guy a little east of you near Rochester.

Latest posts

Back