Greetings

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyjack

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm not sure what to say.

I officially live on a wheat farm out on the high plains, but since there's no heat in the house (the oil and gas company shut off our wellhead gas) I'm currently staying in town in the wintertime. I'm looking forward to warmer weather to move back out to the house.

I have considered building something like a Navajo hogan to stay in in the winter since it would be far less expensive to heat. It would be really nice to build it out of adobe.

The bigger problem, though, is avoiding West Nile Virus. It's killed one horse on the farm and several across the fence in a neighbor's field. It also put my oldest brother in a coma for a couple of months, but he never really improved much afterwards.

Billy Jack is a nickname I picked up in the 1970s when I wore a flat brimmed black hat that some people thought looked like the hat in the Billy Jack tv show. I didn't think they were that similar to each other, though.

A friend of mine's sister lives in North Central Texas. A tornado destroyed their pickups and a motorcycle and moved their house over about a foot. Fortunately for them, they rent and so they don't have to worry about fixing the house.
Not nice weather the other day. Glad your family is ok!!

:welcome:I live a bit west of the west edge of the high plains, but a bunch further north, Glad to hear that you are looking at a more natural type of building,

Welcome from Bama! Until recently we raised beef cattle and peaches... Sort of like the farmer who won the lottery, said "Reckon I'll just keep farming until the money runs out". Spring has arrived here. The woods are filled yellow today, wild yellow jasmine, a vine.

Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome! Have you ever heard of an earthship? You can make a simple round dome shaped room or an elaborate mansion depending on what you want. We're starting on one this summer so I can't claim a lot of knowledge but they are very well insulated. Hope you get back home soon!

I'm not sure what to say.

I officially live on a wheat farm out on the high plains, but since there's no heat in the house (the oil and gas company shut off our wellhead gas) I'm currently staying in town in the wintertime. I'm looking forward to warmer weather to move back out to the house.

I have considered building something like a Navajo hogan to stay in in the winter since it would be far less expensive to heat. It would be really nice to build it out of adobe.

The bigger problem, though, is avoiding West Nile Virus. It's killed one horse on the farm and several across the fence in a neighbor's field. It also put my oldest brother in a coma for a couple of months, but he never really improved much afterwards.

Billy Jack is a nickname I picked up in the 1970s when I wore a flat brimmed black hat that some people thought looked like the hat in the Billy Jack tv show. I didn't think they were that similar to each other, though.
Hi there.
Depending on your resources, I can help you out with the living quarters.
Start with a 12X15 basic out building.
extend the wall space 4"
Put a layer of Styrofoam sheet covered by a layer of fiberglass. put a couple of soda crates in there to make a dead air space.
Plywood, panel or sheet rock over it. do the same for the ceiling and put black tar sheet roofing or shingles over the tin roof.
you could heat the whole thing with a Coleman camp heater.

Be prepared to store your water, bathe in a wash tub and do your business in a bucket. I have an article here somewhere on that
called "got poop?"

Bienveneetoes from Lost Angeleez.. ;)

You, by chance, the 'BillyJack' from over yonder at 'SB'? 🤔 If you don't 'know what that means' - that's Ok, that just means y'ain't.. :)

Anyhoo, regardless, Cheers and will look forward readin to yer posts.. 👍

jd

I just bought some of the cheapest 4X8 7/16ths wafer board sheeting today. $64 a sheet.... For a simple shelter i once built a cabin here in montana with treated posts every eight feet around the roundish perimeter and four posts in the center the small roof joists went up to. Put it up by myself and it ended up about 6oo sq feet of space. I called it my yogan for being sort of a hogan/yurt. I ran the stove pipe up and heated it with wood at -30F. When a forest fire came thru and burned everything my one small sprinkler on the center top of the roof kept the house wet while everything burned around it.

Reactions: Neb
Back