Grid Down Preps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Felling trees is a noisy business whether you use an ax or saw. That is why I won't be using wood to heat with. It can be a last resort but I would rather have a liquid fuel that I can produce on site. It will add a couple of layers of work but most of it can be automated to a large degree.

when the grid goes down i'm going old school, no power at all, everything done by hand tools, wood burning stove for heating and cooking.
I have a 5' cross cut saw that I bought at a second hand store, it has a Tuttle tooth pattern that works great for the madrone trees we have around here, the tooth pattern was designed for cutting hardwoods and I was amazed at how good of a job it did on standing madrones. I also have a 3' Tuttle saw that's great for carrying out on logging roads after wind storms have knocked trees down. The wonderful thing is that cross cut saws are basically silent, chain saw trees and everyone and their brother knows what you're doing and when things go bad that's not going to be a good thing.

Felling trees is a noisy business whether you use an ax or saw. That is why I won't be using wood to heat with. It can be a last resort but I would rather have a liquid fuel that I can produce on site. It will add a couple of layers of work but most of it can be automated to a large degree.
I wont be felling trees not at my age, not just for firewood, and I don't need that much anyway, about 2 pickup loads does me all winter, our place is quite small.

Please, tell us more about the liquid fuel you can produce? Diesel? Do you have a set up developed and are you using it currently?

Liquid fuel is ethyl alcohol. You plant a few acres of Jerusalem artichokes and only harvest the stalks just before they bloom.
At that point they hold more sugar than the bulbs and in most climates you get two harvests each year.
You don't have to replant but you need to let the field grow or dig out the old as it is replaced by new growth.
Five acres will provide enough to make 10,000 gallons of 90% alcohol.
The hot water is used to heat the mash until it is fermented then it goes to the still (solar in my case) which is fitted with a reflux system to allow a single run to produce the 90% alcohol.
This is not drinking liquor because it will contain some solvents that boil at a lower temperature than the alcohol but if you wanted to you could use a separate tap on the column to take that out.
The remaining solids are good feed for animals and the liquid, other than the water, is great fertilizer.
Once tuned the process can be very automated other than harvesting and milling. The leaves of the stalks collect natural yeast to promote good production.
I love nature!

That sounds like quite a system SD. That would provide heat for cooking, hot water, and at those quantities home heating. Internal combustion engines were originally designed for alcohol so, with some adaptation, you might be able to power a generator or vehicle.

sounds like that needs a lot of machinery to manufacture it, might not be sustainable post SHTF.
time is going to be a factor post collapse, not time as in a watch or clock but time as in time taken to do anything.
Unfortunately most time will be spent on food procurement.

If I was going to be alone it would be very difficult. The machinery is no more than you would use for making wine or apple cider except for distilling it.

On top of farming, ranching, preserving, and living yes, it would be a lot for one person to handle.

At my age my comfort level is higher than it used to be. We used to pack into the wilderness areas of the Cascades and Olympics with a tarp, sleeping bag, a change of clothes and food. After spending a week we would pack back out in better condition than if we had stayed at home. Today I have a nice all-weather tent, mummy bag, ground pad and I am still not very comfortable after just one night.
If I have to bug out I will be one cranky old man. My bug in location is built to be strong and comfortable (within limits) no matter what happens. I have options to grid power and natural gas and I have people who will happily join me in my little island of comfort and work to help maintain it. Fuel production is actually a secondary process that isn't necessary but it won't add a lot of work and has the potential to make a lot of "trading partners" that can provide other things of greater value to me than the alcohol. I can make drinking liquor by separating the higher esters from the ethanol and that product has a big potential for commerce and medical.

I trust no one but me and mine, no one will be joining me in the country location.
I have come across too many people on prepping forums who think they can have a nice comfortable life when everything goes to hell in a hand cart, I've got news for them, its going to be a lot of back breaking hard manual labour. if it isn't, they aren't doing it right.

In a SHTF, GD(grid down) the people who will most likely do better is the ones who figger out the barter system and be honest in its employment, like LW said about needing only two loads a winter, that can be easily traded for other consumables. It will not take long before the shysters show up to take advantage but it will not take long either after a few hangings to bring home the point that when you cheat someone out of something that can kill their family or person that your word and honesty in trade deals will have to be your bond. just one example was the old west tradition on stealing someone's horse which was viewed as attempted murder and you got hanged. You cheat someone out of their firewood they could freeze overwinter, He trades one of his last jars medicinal sprits for the firewood now he has nothing this season left over to trade again ....that is a double wammy. that is how a lot of vendettas and feuds got started. In the "modern" world the person's word does not mean much because there is no lasting ramifications for lying where in olden times it had effect that the whole community could see and gauge.

Barter won't be safe? It's not safe to drive down the road today but I still do it. In the economic collapse of Argentina people bartered. In Venezuela people barter today. In war zones and economic disasters around the globe barter is used. Is it safe? Nothing is safe! Walking down the street isn't safe! Safe will be a luxury that few can afford.

You will provide your own safety. Load up your firearm and provide security for your family. You might stand guard while the wife does the bartering. Handguns will demand a premium especially in places like GB. Shotguns will do a credible job.

barter is not part of my plans post SHTF, someone can do a safe barter but still be followed back home.
I don't think there will be enough to barter with, neither will the survival rate be high enough to provide us with buyers.
if I haven't got something i'll live without it.
I intend to live a solitary isolated life.

Even if the trigger event is something as "simple!!??" as an economic collapse of the U.S. there will be still many items that we will need and require . Yes it will be dangerous it will be challenging but I believe that we will have to fall back into what worked for our forefathers when they lived in times where there were enemies all around and not to mention even the most powerful military on the earth after you.

I wonder if its more a case of "want" rather than need?
depends on how one wants to live post collapse, for me I intend to make it as simple as possible, to that end I have amassed a supply of the various tools and other equipment I shall need, all very basic hand tools and other non power equipment.
the whole point to prepping I feel is to gather the stuff we need now, not expect someone to trade with us after the fact( there may be no one left in my low population area to trade with post SHTF)or to expect to fall over some abandoned equipment we might require.

barter is not part of my plans post SHTF, someone can do a safe barter but still be followed back home.
I don't think there will be enough to barter with, neither will the survival rate be high enough to provide us with buyers.
if I haven't got something i'll live without it.
I intend to live a solitary isolated life.

I agree.

The Thieves

“Hey looky at that!”

Cory and Terry had ridden their trail bikes along the railroad tracks to the rear of the Wal-Mart store. They had coasted in to park in the shadows made by two idling semis. This part of the parking lot Wal-Mart allowed overnight parking. Almost midnight and the truck’s Drivers would be sound asleep; at least that was Cory’s and Terry’s past experience. From here they could watch the front of the store and most of the parking lot, out of view from the store’s surveillance cameras.

They both had drop out of high school together. Terry’s current girlfriend was pregnant and pressuring him for a commitment. Gofer at a tire repair shop didn’t pay much. Ribbing from Cory about the situation wasn’t helping. When they were short on cash they come to Wal-Mart. Taking purses left in shopping carts was their specialty.

“Where?” Terry asked.

“There. By that cart coral.” Cory was pointing at a couple having a hard time with four over loaded carts.

“You thinking drive by and grab for her purse? Kind-of risky isn’t it?” Terry started glancing nervously around. He wasn’t sure he wanted to go that far.

“No. I just think it’s strange they got so much in one trip. They just got back from vacation and need everything?”

Cory’s answer made Terry relax. “Yea see what you mean. Looks like they are going back inside for more. Could you see if they lock the pickup’s cap?”

“Can’t tell. We could go look quick. Just keep our backs to the store cameras?”

“No let’s watch them and see what they are up to…hey there’s another doing the same thing! Four rows up to the right.”

“I see them. You think they know something we don’t?”

“Yea something’s up. Let’s follow them and find out. I’ll take the red truck and you the other. Then we will meet back here. Deal?”

“Deal”

_____

“Cory what took you so long? The Rent-a-cop starts patrolling at three.”

“My place where we can talk. Mom will be at her boyfriend’s for the weekend and we’ll have privacy. We can swing by and get your girl…if she’s got a friend we’ll pick her up too. Might as well make a party out it. You can’t get her knocked up again.” Cory smiles at his joke as he kick starts his bike, cranks the throttled as he roars out of the parking lot. Hoping he startled the semi Drivers awake.

_____

Terry had followed the SUV with the bike’s headlight off. The SUV pulled into the subdivision just down the road from Wal-Mart and into a garage. Terry watched until the house lights went off before returning to meet back with Cory.

Cory had a longer drive. The red truck had headed to the country over thirty miles before pulling into what looked like an abandoned farm. The red truck was pulled into a shed. The couple exited from the shed looked around like they were looking for something before closing the shed’s door. They then walked to the back of the house, out of sight. Strange no lights were turned on. Cory thought he heard a short yap from a dog. He was breed and born in the city with lights all night long. All this country dark was spooky Cory had thought.

Cory thoughts were distracted as he worked on unhooking…what was her name? Brenda...unhooking Brenda’s bra. Terry and his girl were in the other bedroom. After three beers Brenda was acting like she was willing to go all the way. They’d figure out what was going on later.

_____

“They nuts? Where are the cops, Cory”

“How should I know? You think this has anything to do with the power being off?”

Now it was Cory’s turn to be sarcastic, “How should I know?”

They both had stopped as they were driving pass the Wal-Mart on their way to the Liquor Store. They woke late Saturday morning to find the power to Cory’s mom’s house wasn’t working. While the girls were taking showers, Cory and Terry head to the liquor store for more beer. They both were underage but since the Store Owner bought the stolen credit cards from them, he’d sell them beer too.

The Wal-Mart parking lot looked like a war zone. Carts lying on their sides, car windows broken out, and people carrying all they could carry out though the broken glass doorways. From the road it looked like what could be dead bodies too.

“Jake will know. Let’s go get that beer and ask him.”

_____

“Strange. Sign says ‘CLOSED’. Door is locked too. Let’s try the back.”

Liquor store was built like a bank. Thick poured concrete windowless walls, steel bars over the front door. Back door was like a bank vault door, all steel and heavy. Jake (the owner) said this was once a bad part of town and he had worked too hard and too long to have anyone steal his life’s effort. Cory and Terry secretly thought it was just to give Jake time to hide if there was ever a police raid. Jack had always treated them fair, like an older brother. That’s why they were shocked speechless when they knocked on the back door only to find themselves swiftly pulled into a darken room, belly down on the cold concrete floor with boots holding them there. They heard the heavy door close before their eyes were blinded by a bright light.

“You know them?”

“Both are regulars. Small time but steady.”

“Jake.” Cory had recognized Jake’s voice. “What’s going on? Electric is off, Wal-Mart is crazy and now you treating us like this. What’s going on?”

“What do you mean Wal-Mart is crazy” asked Jake.

“It’s like a riot. Looting, windows broken, dead bodies and cops are nowhere to be seen”, replied Terry. “We just came here to get some beer and see if you could tell us what’s going on.”

“Where have you been? Didn’t you see the TV broadcast?”

“No. We got a couple of girls and kind of busy. You know what I mean?”

“Let them up. Jake turn on the lantern.”

When the lantern was lit and the boys eyes readjusted they saw four men in the room. Jake and three strangers. All four were heavily armed.

“You sure Wal-Mart was looted?” one of the three strangers asked.

Cory and Terry looked at each other before nodding their heads in unison.

“We waited too long.” One of the other strangers said.

“You need food? We know where there is a bunch. Some in a house not too far from here and more east of the City at an old farm…”

The End - For two families.​

I'm having to twist around sideways to write, got Bakers Cyst on my knee so leg t[propped up.

I'm going to order these 100 gal. water for tub ,Water will be hard to get in shtf.

https://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Eme...237&s=gateway&sprefix=waterbob,aps,167&sr=8-2

81g3vZxO3lL._AC_UL320_.jpg

I have the 250 gallon propane tank arriving this week for the Gen set..the way I figger it with running the genny at least five hours a day the fuel will last over three months and if the grid problems are not sorted out by then it will be a good indication that SHTF and I had better have been working on plan C,D and E!

I've got a couple gallons of "Parrafin Oil", 5 gallons of Kerosene, and 5 gallons of #2 fuel oil(Offroad only) that was given to me. If it hits the fan, it all works, to some degree.

When I was a kid we called them Kerosene Lamps. I used kerosene in ours a few years ago. Once the storms start coming we lose power quite often here. Not for long though but one time it was off almost a week.

I have the 250 gallon propane tank arriving this week for the Gen set..the way I figger it with running the genny at least five hours a day the fuel will last over three months and if the grid problems are not sorted out by then it will be a good indication that SHTF and I had better have been working on plan C,D and E!

ssonb, in that case it will be earlier to bed and later to rise and hope we can grow potatoes. And find a place to hide from the neighbors wild shooting. If they are hungry they won't worry too much about aim.

Back